Gallbladder Expert Forum
calcified galbladder

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

calcified galbladder

I am a male  age 61 in generally good health-cholesterol about 200 on a 40mg daily statin
I saw my GP after having what appeared to be Irritable Bowel Syndrome(exact symptoms that appeared on medical websites).  He gave me an antibiotic recommended Metamucil and an ultrasound of the abdomen area.

After the completing the meds and taking the metamucil, I felt fine.

The GP called me with the results of the ultrasound report, it showed the galbladder was distended, with stones and signs of being calcified, (not exact wording) Other organs viewed in the ultrasound were identified as being normal.  He said I need to talk to a surgeon to have my galbladder removed.
Then he emphasized by saying  it has the potential to turn cancerous. This was just before Christmas and said I will wait until after the holidays. He called after the holidays to follow up with a recommended surgeon.  I want to think because he has a genuine concern about my health. Still did not make an appointment.

I did a lot of research, including watching the operation on youtube (probably not a good idea). and reading about everything from "I went home the same day and had no problems" to "on going problems months after the surgery" and the potential side effects. It appears to be a very high volumn procedure in the US.  I have talked to  family members and friends that have gone through it, they have  different opinions pro and con.

My question, I have no discomfort or pain at all. The IBS hasn't returned. Is there an immediate need for such a radical procedure based on the findings of the ultrasound (no other testing has been done)?

Thanks in advance for your reply
Tags: calcified galbladder
If what he is talking about is a porcelein gallbladder you need it out. You have been given good information. There is an extremely high rate of turning into gallbladder cancer which is on the par of pancreatic cancer in terms of cure rates. Don't get boughed down by occasional issues. There is a debate in the literature as to whether these should be done with traditional open surgery or if it is safe to do laparoscopically.
DR. Watters:
I wanted to follow up and clarify the ultrasound report. here is the exact wording. The term Porcelain  gallbladder is not used, but I've read articles where the words are used Interchangeable. Everything else is identified as normal. Any additional thoughts?

The gallbladder is distended. The wall is calcified and there are complex changes within consistent with sludge representing viscus bile/and or stones The findings are not classic for an acute cholecystitis. There is no pericholecystic fluid. Calcification in the gallbladder always raises the question of malignancy.
The common duct is normal in size 4mm. The liver is normal in size measuring 13.9 cm in sagittal diameter. There is no evidence for liver mass or cyst. There are no dialated ducts within the liver. The portal vein demonstrated normal hepattopetal flow. The hepatic veins are normal and not displaced.
The spleen is normal at 9.6 cm AP diameter. The pancreas is normal at the head but the body and tail are obscured. The aorta and vena cava were normal.
The kidneys demonstrate no evidence for mass, stone or obstruction. A mid pole cyst on the right is 1.5 cm and a lower pole cyst on the left is
1 cm. The kidneys are both 11.5 cm in sagittal diameter with no hydronephrosis
You are correct. Porcelein GB and calcified GB wall can be used interchangeably. Your gallbladder should be removed. I have only had one patiet in my career refuse cholecystectomy for a porcelein gallbladder and she died 9 years later from metastatic gallbladder cancer.