Gallbladder Community
continuing pain years after gall bladder surgery

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

I have pain still and know people who have continuing pain after having our gall bladders removed. Is this wide-spread among gall bladder patients and is it common? Sometimes it is so bad that it feels like someone shoved a fist through the left side of my thoracic back area and is squeezing my insides tightly or like someone shoved a big pole or dull knife through that area, where my right shoulder blade is but deeper inside of me. I also have very painful ribs/rib area on my right side, back and front too and the area inside of me where the gall bladder was is painful also. Sometimes, I feel something moving or clicking back and forth right under my breast-bone/upper front rib area where my gall bladder used to be, depending on my movements. If it is staples/clips, could this be causing the pain?
My surgery was about 20 years ago. What kind of test is done to find problem clips/staples or even surgery tools left behind?  
Tags: gallbladder surgery, pain after, tender and painful rib area, pain in thoracic area, clips and staples left inside
Since I don't know how to edit my post yet, I need to correct it here. The pain is all on the right side. I mistakenly wrote in one part of the post that I had pain on the left side.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Any structural abnormalities like post op inflammations or abscess can be detected by an ultrasonogram or CT scan. The other causes for the pain could be gastritis, peptic ulcer disease and GERD. Disorders of the liver and colon could also cause pain. Kidney disorders too produce colicky and sharp pain. Sometimes anxiety with flatulence can cause this pain. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi Hope1313,
I have exactly the same symptoms as you have mentioned...what did the doctor say?
I am having the same symptoms after 25 years of my gallbladder surgery I have been having excruciating pain in my ribcage area and almost like gallbladder pain all over again.. I had xrays done today and when the doc had them on the lighted panel I could see the staples in the image at the exact areas I am having my pain. When I asked her what those were she quickly pulled th film and walked out of the room to converse with another person.. I could hear them muttering something.. Then she walked in and said we really don't see any cause for the pain you described.. and I asked her again about the staples I saw.. she said oh those would not cause any problems. I felt like I was being lied to so tomorrow I am going to get a second opinion from elsewhere since I feel they fear I will sue them.
Had my GB removed 18 months ago. Since then probably 4/5 attacks of this excruciating pain. Once I was hospitalised with it. Sick
(no pun intended) of visiting doctor. He has no answer, just keeps shoving anti-acids down my throat. Pancreatitis has been mentioned which scares the c... out of me but still nothing definate diagnosed. Like most people if I had an answer I could deal with it better
I see alot of people on the web w the same upper right back pain after gall bladder removal, but no one ever saying they got better and never a medical reason. This scares me. I had my gall bladder removed in Sept 2013, the pain in my upper right back by and around my shoulder blade is getting worse. It hurts the worst at night, i can hardly sleep the pain is so severe. I have no insurance so i cant go have a ton of tests done or get pain meds. Im miserable. Anyone ever find an answer???
My doctor suspects SOD. However when he went to do ERCP he saw too much inflammation in my stomach and decided it was too risky to get pressures or to "split the sphincter". I am in horrible pain and don't quite understand the "risks". Does anybody have any insight on this? Thanks in advance.