dilated bile duct
Hi all. I am a 35 year old female who is 5'4 and weigh 218 pounds. I eat alot of fried foods and fast food on the go.  I haven't had any medical conditions until I went to my PCP for yearly bloodwork. everything came back normal except I was told my vitamin d level was very low. the level was 19. I was placed on 50000 units of a vitamin d supplement. I also mentioned to the dr that I had a pain that was dull on my left upper abdominal quadrant. He scheduled an ultrasound and i was called and told to go for a surgery consult because the ultrasound showed I have a dilated bile duct.  i was told that it showed no stones so I am very nervous as to what this is.  Everything i pulled up pointed to gallstones or cancer. My followup is in a week.  The only symptoms I am having is a lot of gas and occasional dull pain on te left side. I have actually gained weight, have an increased appetite and am tired alot. I'd appreciate any feedback. the nurse said it wasn't an emergency but i definitely needed to follow up.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The bile duct is dilated if there is a distal obstruction to the duct. This can happen with gall stones or tumors. To determine the cause a ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatiogram) may be needed. During this test, stones can be removed from the bile duct, tumors can be biopsied and the obstruction can be relieved. Alternatively, an MRI scan of the bile ducts can further determine the cause of dilated bile duct.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hey Meka, how are you feeling? I am dealing with the same thing. I hope you are well.