Gallbladder Community
ejection fraction of 31%

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

ejection fraction of 31%

Homogenous tracer accumulation throughout the hepatic parenchyma. Activity is identified in the gallbladder, comon duct, & duodenmum. Gallbldder enjection fraction is only 31%, which is abnormally low & sugest gallbladder dysfuntion.

What the heck does this all mean?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In HIDA scans the gall bladder gets filled in 5-10 mins and sometimes longer. The emptying usually happens within 2 hrs. That's what happens if the test is normal--if something is blocked then the progression stops flowing along--usually either the gall bladder never fills or it never empties in an abnormal scan. CCK HIDA or HIDA with ejection fraction (EF) is seen to check for gall bladder ejection.

If gallbladder ejection fraction is below 35% is considered to be gallbladder dyskinesia.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
i had a hida scan.  it shows ejection fraction was 45%.  I received 99m choletec and it took 3 hours for my gall bladder to even show up on scan.  the nuclear med. tech said it was abnormal.  i hurt a lot in urq of abd.  But doctor wrote normal study  what else can be done.  my doctor wants to do a colonscopy, but i really dont think there is a need.  i have had ultrasound and ct all normal.  but i know it is my gallbladder.