Gallbladder Expert Forum
ejection fraction of 87.8%

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

ejection fraction of 87.8%

I Have had GIi problems for years. I recently had a gallbladder ultrasound which was okay except for mild prominence to the common bile of 7.5mm. I then had a Hida scan. My ejection fraction was 87.8%. Excretion into the small intestine was seen 15-20min. postinjection. Mild symptoms were reproduced  with the cholecystokinin injection with relatively rapid transit of the radiopharmaceutical through the small intestine. When I have pain it is usually epigastric followed by diarrhea. I have some vague right sided abd pain. This past episode though, I have severe pain between my shoulder blades especially on the left side. It hurts when taking a deep breath. That is my main problem now. I am scheduled for surgery since my Docs believe that a hyperkinetic gallbladder needs to be removed but I worry my back pain may be something else.  So my question is Can this problem cause severe left sided back pain? Thank you in advance for your help
It is very common for biliary pain to refer to the back, typically near the tip of the right shoulder blade. The slight ductal dilatation may well represent a component of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. I agree with the cholecystectomy but there is a chance that you may continue to have symptoms post op and ultimately require a sphincterotomy which is done endoscopically. Generally, the gallbladder must be out of the system before this diagnosis is detected.
Thank you for your help. I'm scheduled for surgery in 3 days and I'm still not sure if it is the right thing to do. I'll post a comment after surgery....if I have it. Thank you!