Gallbladder Community
help gall bladder issues

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

help gall bladder issues

hi, i have been having stomache pain, nausea and heart burn for 6 months.  I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer years ago so i thought that was what it was.  In Jan i lost my voice for 3 weeks.  Went to an ear nose and throat doc.  He look in with a scope and said my esouphagus was damaged from gerd.  Started prilosec and raised my bed.  The stomache pain ect... still cont.
I went to a gasto. doc.  We have done and ultra sound.  came back normal, upper endo.  came back normal no ulcer anymore. now a hida scan 4 days ago..
I am now sicker than i was before this.  I have pain in both sides under my ribs now.  I can not eat.  i am living on crackers and broth.  this seems to be the only thing that doesn't make me vomit.  
I called the doc.  he said my gall badder is ok.  the test was 68%.  I am sick and tired of  being sick and tired.  

Did they say on your ultrasound if you had any stones in your gallbladder? It sounds like a biliary kind of pain......I would research some biliary diseases like biliary dyskenesia and sphincter of oddi dysfunction.....suggest these to your doctors if you think the symptoms sound like what you're going through.....

I have sphincter of oddi dysfunction and have upper abdominal pain daily, predominently under the right ribs (don't have my gallbladder anymore) and also a narrow bile duct.....there are options and medications out there that might help you a lot.

Good luck

Sarsi

Good luck

Sarsi
I have had an ultra sound, no stones, everything is normal,  a hida scan that made me extremely ill,  everything is normal.  (but now I have pain on my left side under my rib.) I have had a ct scan, everything is normal.  After the hida scan I had extreme pain on the left under my rib.  Nauseous, vomiting, diareaha  and just did not feel well.  I had a whole series of blood work everything is normal.  I go see a specialist next week.  So far all they have done is made me feel worse.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to other causes like hepatitis more so as you have symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Liver function tests and a hepatitis panel may help diagnose liver disorders. Appendicitis also causes nausea, vomiting and malaise. It may not be picked up by imaging modalities. The other causes for pain could be urinary tract infection, renal colic and sometimes bowel infections. It could also be due to diverticulitis, Chron's disease, ulcerative colitis and parasitic infections. If your blood test and ultrasonography do not reveal anything you may have to go for a colonoscopy and urine analysis. In colonoscopy the entire colon can be visualized and studies the inside lining of the intestines. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have commented on a study out of the Cleveland Clinic in other posts that demonstrated that the most important information to come out of a HIDA w/ CCK is whether or not the symptoms were reproduced. This was a better predictor of symptom resolution following gallbladder removal than the ejection fraction. I have found this to be true in my patients as approximately 90% have seen resolution of their symptoms after cholecystectomy if their misery was reproduced during the HIDA w/ CCK test irregardless of the ejection fraction.