Gallbladder Expert Forum
pain above hips both sides

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

pain above hips both sides

Hi, About 2 months ago, I suddenly experienced sharp pain on my side above my right hip. It really didn't occur for several weeks, but then occurred again as I was asleep. Since then, I have not had any sharp pain, but do get mild pain above both hips often. It feels as if it is muscular pain, but I generally cannot find any soreness except for right on the top of the hip bone. I also feel the mild pain in the low back at times, and have felt some mild soreness around there. Last night left side pain above the hip kept me awake a while. I had a bowel movement and that did make it feel somewhat better. I went to the doctor and did a test for STDs where I peed in a cup. That was negative. They then sent me for a low back x-ray, but that showed no acute changes. The pain occurs most reliably in the evenings. I am a 29 year old male with no other physical impairments. I am in pretty good physical shape. Any thoughts about what is going on?  
A kidney source could certainly be possible. A urinary tract infection would be pretty unusual in an otherwise healthy young male (unless there were stones present) but kidney stones are still a possibility. This should be able to be ruled out fairly simply.
A bit more  info - I have not experienced any bloody urine/stools or vomiting. I have started to have 2 bowel movements a day instead of 1 at times in hopes that that will help.
i am also 29 a male and having the same problem for a few weeks.. i am no doctor but i have been doing lots of research and believe it may be kidney gravel.  i just did a 3 day juice cleanse that made me feel much better but today i ate a bunch of salted pistachios and took vitamin d and calcium supplements and the pain came back..

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/index.aspx#avoid

this site was very informative.

because i eat so much tree nuts and sodium and take calcium and vitamin d supplements daily i believe it to be dietary.

also regular stretching/yoga/exercise helps as well as good posture
good luck!
thank you for the information. i suspected it was a kidney infection or stones. the website was helpful!