pain above hips both sides
Hi, About 2 months ago, I suddenly experienced sharp pain on my side above my right hip. It really didn't occur for several weeks, but then occurred again as I was asleep. Since then, I have not had any sharp pain, but do get mild pain above both hips often. It feels as if it is muscular pain, but I generally cannot find any soreness except for right on the top of the hip bone. I also feel the mild pain in the low back at times, and have felt some mild soreness around there. Last night left side pain above the hip kept me awake a while. I had a bowel movement and that did make it feel somewhat better. I went to the doctor and did a test for STDs where I peed in a cup. That was negative. They then sent me for a low back x-ray, but that showed no acute changes. The pain occurs most reliably in the evenings. I am a 29 year old male with no other physical impairments. I am in pretty good physical shape. Any thoughts about what is going on?  
A kidney source could certainly be possible. A urinary tract infection would be pretty unusual in an otherwise healthy young male (unless there were stones present) but kidney stones are still a possibility. This should be able to be ruled out fairly simply.
A bit more  info - I have not experienced any bloody urine/stools or vomiting. I have started to have 2 bowel movements a day instead of 1 at times in hopes that that will help.
i am also 29 a male and having the same problem for a few weeks.. i am no doctor but i have been doing lots of research and believe it may be kidney gravel.  i just did a 3 day juice cleanse that made me feel much better but today i ate a bunch of salted pistachios and took vitamin d and calcium supplements and the pain came back..

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/index.aspx#avoid

this site was very informative.

because i eat so much tree nuts and sodium and take calcium and vitamin d supplements daily i believe it to be dietary.

also regular stretching/yoga/exercise helps as well as good posture
good luck!
thank you for the information. i suspected it was a kidney infection or stones. the website was helpful!