Gallbladder Community
pain breathing in after gall bladder surgery

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

After having my gall bladder removed I have extreme pain breathing in, involuntary quick breaths and yawning that is very painful with a dagger type pain under my right ribs.   I have been to E.R. for being unable to breathe.  My surgeon is acting like he has never heard of this?????   This surgeon messed something up !    I don't know how long this will last and what I should do about it.   Has anyone ever had this, what did you do?   Did it go away?  How did you treat it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Like I already mentioned the pain could be due to postsurgical inflammation. But sometimes the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain with coughing or yawning or taking a deep breath. It can occur due to local causes like lung infections. Check with your doctor to rule out this condition. In the meantime take OTC naproxen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
The extreme pain which kept me from taking a deep breathe had me ending up in the emergency room.  My surgeon and other doctors seem to be either poorly trained or playing dumb.   After about 7 days I slowly began to be able to get more than 1/4 breathe, this ordeal did not do much for my PTSD condition.  Some people on the internet said they had doctors tell them it was a nerve that affects the diaphram being irritated, others said belly and chest gas.  It was not the gas.   On my 15th day after surgery the breathing problem started to come back, then gone again the next day.   If anyone out there has this problem, don't expect doctors to help any.   I think the surgeons know why but don't want to set themselves up for a lawsuit so they play dumb, nice huh?   I don't know what they did to me while they were in there but it messed me up, if i had known what I would have to go through i would have kept my gall bladder.
Oh and if they give you lortabs (hydrocodone) just take them for a few days then stop.   They are one of the most abused drugs in america, addictive as heck and they are narcotics.   They are evil, beware because they sneak up on you then the next thing you know you will do anything to get more.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.
Check to see if there is an infection of the lower respiratory tract or a lower lobe pneumonia, this could cause problems with breathing and pain. An X ray and blood tests could help determine this. Please discuss this with your doctor to rule out these conditions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
My daughter just had her gallbladder removed and is having the same problem  (Pain. In ribcage and breathing) . My question is did you ever get relief or did they ever figure out why it was giving you problems. Thanks for any help you can give.
LL
I am 3 weeks from gallbladder removal and am at about 85% del breath before pain stops me.  It's getting better.  I'm still very swollen/bloated inside though and do still have some pain,  especially in my right shoulder blade.  Doctor wouldn't refill Norco, or so the pharmacy said.  I'm taking Tylenol and 600 MG ibuprofen (surgeon said up to 800 every 8 hours) at night and naproxen for the first time today.  It seems to help.  Hippie you are now pain free