pain where gall bladder was removed
I had my gall bladder removed.  However, I still have pain in between the centermost part of the bottom of my ribs (not the ribs... but under the ribs).  What could this be?
What was the indication for your surgery? What pre op testing did you have? When was your surgery? Do you have any other symptoms other than the pain?
I am a veteran.  The VA hospital could find nothing wrong.  I went to the civilian ER and it was found that I had an infection in my gall bladder. VA could not find anything wrong with my gall bladder.  It was shriveled up with a gall stone in it.  Surgery August 2008 by Ann Arbor, MI VA.  My back hurts.
The VA Doctors say that having an enlarged liver is normal.  Right now I have a different pain.  My knuckles, wrist, elbow, shoulder, groin, knee ankle and toes on my right side hurt.  I beleive this is something different.  Sometimes my right side hurts while other times it is my left side.
VA doctor said to me.... I will open you up, see if it is the gall bladder,  if it is,I will remove it.  If it is not, they will look for something else and possibly remove that.  If nothing is found then they will close me up and call it good.
Two weeks after my gall bladder surgery, I started showing syptoms of the Epstein Barr Virus.  I was struggling to walk from so much inflamation.
Upper and Lower GI's were good as of this year 2012.  Ultrasound could not see the gall bladder before surgery.  X-ray could not see gall bladder before surgery.
Please read comments under my name.  They were meant for you.  Thank you.  Melinda
I have walked the halls of the Ann Arbor VA as a medical student. You headed off on a tangent with the EBV talk. Where did that come in? This could possibly explain some RUQ pain also. What was the final pathology on the gallbladder. Did they not do a HIDA before operating on you? What other tests have you had if this pain has continued for four years?