Gallbladder Community
post cholecystectomy

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

post cholecystectomy

How many weeks after lap chole will it take before I know if surgery will help symptoms such as pain and bloating after meals?  I have been on low fat, lots of fruits and veggies for over 3 months and do not plan to go back to eating fried foods or heavy meals.  Also, do more people become constipated after surgery?  I have always had that problem.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The most common problems after a gall bladder surgery are impaired digestion, bloating, gas, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea. During normal process of digestion between meals, bile collects in the gallbladder and is concentrated. When the gallbladder is removed, bile is less concentrated and it drains continuously into the intestine. As a result there is continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, which may contribute to esophagitis and gastritis. With time the body adjusts and it becomes easier in digesting fatty foods. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Avoid high-fat foods, fried and greasy foods, gravies and fatty sauces .Gradually increase the fiber in your diet. This can help normalize bowel movements by reducing incidents of diarrhea or constipation. For more queries consult your treating doctor and get your doubts clarified. Do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!