Gastrectomy - Second opinion? Questions for surgeon?
Two weeks ago I had an endoscopy to check on dysphasia and create a baseline for gastric health, since my father and his sister both passed away from stomach cancer, there is a concern it is genetic.  Both my older brothers get regular endoscopies as well.  

They found that I didn't have dysphasia, however, my stomach was lined with several polyps. They took biopsies of several of the larger ones.  All of the polyps showed to be of the type Tubulovillous Adenoma (TVA) which have a high risk of becoming malignant.  

Because of the type of polyps they found, the number of polyps, and my family history, my GI doctor suggested a total gastrectomy as a preventative measure.  I am only 26, but my father died of stomach cancer when he was 37.

I haven't had my consultation appointment with the surgeon yet; that's happening this Thursday (10-13).

I am planning on getting a second opinion on this to be sure (seems kind of extreme for a preventative measure), but I was wondering if any of you GI surgeons & doctors had any (unofficial) advice or opinions on this matter?

Additionally, I was wondering if there were any specific questions that would be useful to ask my surgeon.  I've come up with a list of 12 questions (and sub-questions) so far.

Thanks!
Hi there!

I would agree with the treatment advised by your doctor since the lesions are associated with a high chance of malignant transformation, waiting beyond a certain time may make it inoperable. I would suggest discussing the situation in detail with your gastroenterologist/ gastrosurgeon.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!