Gastric Cancer Community
Is it Zollinger Ellison please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to gastric cancer.

Is it Zollinger Ellison please help

I am  29 year old woman.  Ever since I can remember I have had a "sensitive" stomach.  For years I thought it was just stress as well as most of my doctors.  I was put on prilosec as a teenager and back then it was prescribed...not OTC.  I would have issues off and on throughout my life.  I've never been able to drink much because my stomach doesn't tolerate it.  I don't take aspirin or any NSAIDS as they too have upset my stomach and make me sick.  My symptoms have gotten drastically worse in the last two years. Originally my Doctor and I thought it was just stress because I lost my husband to suicide and months later I lost my son to cancer but my symptoms were persistent.  I started having diarrhea badly and vomiting almost daily.  I had a scope done and it showed severe gastritis with a small ulcer.  I was put on nexium results for H. Pylori were negative. Symptoms improved but only for  a couple of weeks.  Once again I am vomiting and no appetite.  I have lost over 30lbs without trying.  6 months after the first scope I just had another one done.  This showed that in less then 6 months I now have 6 large ulcers, but none in the duodenum.  Biopsies were negative once again for H. pylori and celiac disease.  Doctor has me do a fasting gastrin test.  It came back elevated at 1045.  My doctor then told me about ZES. They want me to re-do the gastrin test after being off of nexium because I had started taking it 5 days before my test.  My question is can taking nexium for 5 days elevate your gastrin levels that much that fast?  Also if not ZES what is another likely cause??  I am in treatment but can never get answers fast enough!!! Please help.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the cause of your symptoms. Nexium could indirectly cause feedback elevation of the gastrin levels. Atleast three elevated fasting gastrin levels are required to suspect Zollinger-Ellison. If not ZES it could be a primary elevation of gastrin levels as well. It would be best to discuss the situation and the appropriate management plan with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!