Gastric Cancer Community
Parietal cell auto antibodies
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to gastric cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Parietal cell auto antibodies

Hi,
I have just found out that I have a positive blood result for parietal cell auto antibodies. I was wondering whether anyone could give me any information about what this means. I am seeing my doctor on Friday, but would like to know a bit more now. I am aware that this can increase my risk of stomach cancer, but I am wondering whether it can be an indication that stomach cancer is already present?
Many thanks for any help or advice.
Hi!
Parietal cells of the stomach secrete hydrochloric acid in the stomach. They also release intrinsic factor a protein which helps in vitamin b12 absorption. Parietal cell autoantibody test can detect the presence of antibodies that attack and destroy parietal cells. A positive test can mean number of diseases like like pernicious anemia , gastric ulcer; atrophic gastritis (chronic inflammation of stomach mucosa), thyroid disease, iron deficiency anemia, Addisonian anemia., vitamin B12 defficiency.Presence of these auto antibodies does not in any way indicate that  stomach cancer is already present. Why was this test advised? Your doctor should determine the cause of this positive test based on your clinical history and other relevant investigations. Treatment will depend on the cause.
Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastric Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank