Gastric Cancer Community
Scared to death

This patient support community is for discussions relating to gastric cancer.

Scared to death

I was diagnosised with a spastic colon when I was 19 and for yrs have had spells off and on but nothing to debilitating. 2 yrs ago I went out for a run and did not think I was going to make it home because I was so sick. I immediately went to my dr who ordered an ultrasound and it was determined that my gallbladder was full of stones and needed to be removed. After the surgery I expected to feel like a million bucks but to my surprise I was sick as a dog having chronic diarriha for roughly 8 months. That was the beginning of the nightmare from hell. After the diarriha stopped I have never felt as good as I was told I was. My stomach will no longer allow me to eat most foods without causing me severe pain. I have gas and bloating so bad that I double over in pain and my stomach bloats so big that I look pregnant. I was taking a medication called Lialdia that did help with some of the symptoms, but my insurance changed and I cannot afford to pay eight hundred dollars a month. So has become the source of my terror. I have seen a GI and had a CT scan which I do not have the results back. Next I am scheduled for a EGD and a colonoscopy both of which I am terrified to have. The GI seems to think that since my stomach issues got worse after my gallbladder was removed that the bile that was filtered through gallbladder now goes straight into my intestines causing me all the pain. I of course am scared they are going to say I have colon cancer. My mind will not stop running and churning out all of my fears. My nerves are so bad I cannot sleep and my life has basically stopped. Here are all of my symptoms. Severe gas and bloating, diarriha the constipation, pain on lower right side and now pain in upper right side and sometimes on the left side, gurgling, extremely limited food consumption because my stomach will not tolerate foods I used to be able to eat with no problem. I do not sleep because I worry all the time and all I want is my life back. I pray everyday that it does turn out to be a problem with the bile, but even with that I want to know what can be done so that I am not sick everyday? I was told there was no cure but it can be maintained, but I need to know how or with what? Please give me any answers you can!!!!! Thank you!!!!
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. It is true that post cholecystectomy bile may directly trickle into the intestine to cause irritation which may further aggravate the symptoms produced by a spastic colon. Also people may experience fat malsorption after a cholecystectomy which could result in bloating, abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea etc. Other possibilities that may need to be considered include GI infections, inflammations, motility disorders etc. I would suggest going ahead with the investigations suggested by your treating gastroenterologist. After a specific cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you!