Gastric Cancer Community
Stage IV liver cancer How long?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to gastric cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stage IV liver cancer How long?

Two weeks ago, CT scan indicated my mom (mid-80's) has 5cm lesion on liver, w/ 60 lesions on lungs. Per her advanced directives, biopsies to confirm metastatic disease weren't done.To date she's had no pain, but last week, her abdomen was distended (she'd gained 11 lbs in a week) and experienced difficulty breathing.  After a trip to the ER, she was transferred to a hospice facility. This week, she's had several episodes of projectile vomiting at mealtimes. Meds now have the vomiting under control.

Mom has mild dementia, my sister, who is her primary caretaker, has major cardiac issues & I live hundreds of miles away.  I've tried to educate myself on what to expect as her disease progresses, but neither her internist nor the hospice docs will discuss a timeline. I understand that every patient is different, but having some idea of whether it's days, weeks or months until the end would be of tremendous help in determining whether we can manage her care at home or should consider a nursing home. Is it unreasonable to consider labs for liver function? Would they be helpful?  Many thanks.