Gastric Cancer Community
Stomach Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to gastric cancer.

Stomach Cancer

Lately I have not had much of an an appetite. For a small window I can feel myself be a bit hungry but then it closes and doesn't come back.

It all started after I got grazed in the groin two weeks ago and had discomfort and mild ache pain when sitting down. I then, after googling became scared I had Testicular cancer so I checked multiple times over the next few days. On Saturday of that week I noticed I know how a bruise type pain around my anus, nothing severe, and became more worried. I googled the symptoms and was worried I might have Colon Cancer (I have not had any bleeding) and made an appointment with a doctor that Monday to get my testicle checked. The pain ended the day before the appointment and hasn't returned. The Doc mentioned it was probably just trauma and that it happens. I also mentioned that I had since lost my appetite, though I am unsure if this is due to my being worried about disease. He told me it was normal to get anorexic during times of stress and to not worry about it to much. I have Chron's Disease and he listened to my instestine and verified that they were working very fast, meaning I probably have mild IBS as well. He said it wasn't anything to worry about and that I was healthy. He mentioned my throat looked a bit irritated but I didnt have a sore throat so he said it probably was just a bit of acid from worrying. Since this meeting my appetite still has hot come back to what it was before last week. The Dr. Asked if I had ever been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder ( I am a known worrier, it doesn't get in the way of my life except during times of stress or perceived danger.

I noticed a bit of sour stomach the last week and some gurgling in my intestine after eating and became worried so I googled and discovered that the early signs of Stomach Cancer are loss of appetite and acid reflux. Both of these can be triggered by anxiety and stress however. But I am worried, to the point of every-time I am on the computer I am googling stomach cancer or colon cancer and keep seeing that loss of appetite and think I might have one or the other. I have no blood i my stools, no vomiting, no pain in my abdomen or chest. I sometimes will suffer from the constant need to take a deep breath (yawn) and this lasts for several minutes to half an hour but if I take my mind away and focus on something it goes away. I have eaten this week, after the first Dr. App I got a huge burger and fries and large soda and ate them, Thursday I had 12 hot wings followed by 12 more on Friday. Saturday I saw another dr as I still didnt feel like my appetite was coming back and he seemed irritated since I couldnt give him a reason that I was there past that. he asked about my stress and I told him I was worried I had stomach cancer because of my sour stomach and lack of appetite. he mentioned that at my age it would be very, very low. He said the lack of appetite is more for people 40 or 50, then it is a warning sign. He told me I was fine, onlything wrong with me since I wasn't in any real pain (minus the general picks and pins here and there that come from Chron's disease) and only had a low grade fever (99), that I was fine. I didnt have cancer. He pressed on my abdomen and asked if it hurt. It didn't. he told me to stop worrying and gave me a prescription for antacid and klonopin to help ease my anxiety.

Here are my symptoms:
Loss of appetite
Bit queezy (Klonopin + New antacid on fairly empty stomach? Nerves/Axiety?)
Tired Arms and legs feel sluggish (Klonopin? Started same day as Klonopin)

I do not have:
Pain near my ribs
Heartburn
painful abnormal bloating (I get gurgly and gassy when I eat but I have Chrons and short bowel (surgery removed ilium)
Sore Throat
Vomiting or nausea
Extreme Fatigue (I have been more tired the last few days but only after taking Klonopin)
Blood coming from either end.
Tarry stools? (I dont think so? I'd notice if I did, right? I mostly have watery with lose bits due to shortened bowel).

The Dr. Said i would feel very ill if I had stomach cancer with loss of appetite but the internet is a scary place. Does anyone have any advice or questions that come form experience? I am worried, even through the Klonopin
Hi there!

Well, though technology has made it easier to search anything; the trouble with search engines is that it doesn’t work mathematically in medical signs. It is true that your symptoms may be associated with GI/ testicular cancer but just the presence of these symptoms does not define cancer essentially meaning that any symptom could be linked to thousands of condition without specificity. Similarly the most common cause of loss of appetite is stress and not cancer and the same can be seen in a number of conditions. I would agree with your doctor in that the symptoms are just related to trauma and stress and should not be anything to worry about. I would also suggest following his/ her advice.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Wow you sound very much like myself except I insisted on a colonoscopy and endoscopy. All they found was a clean colon and a clean stomache. I can say since then I have not worried about stomache or colon cancer. I had every single symptom you mentioned. I say don't stress or worry and stay off the internet because that is where you'll find everything you don't want to know. Good Luck!
yeah the internet has told me the wrong answer all the time, I am like that to I worry about everything and since i've been asking my doctor so many question he thinks that I just have mental problems not physical, and then once I listing to what my body was saying to me like how it was feeling and I wrote everything down and evaluated it, I finally am figuring everything out and what made me upset the most was when m doctor was wrong about my health problems and I knew what was going on. I guess because it's my body not his. I am defiantly a worried warrior to, I find that just doing something you really like helps and drinking a few cups of water a day makes me feel a lot better!