Gastric Cancer Community
Very Worried if my Dad may have Stomach Cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to gastric cancer.

Hi, I am very concerned about my father and am wondering if anyone has any answers or similar experience. He has had stomach problems pretty badly since he was 30. He just turned 60. He has seen multiple doctors and never been given a diagnosis beyond GERD. He takes medication for that. Now he recently began seeing a new doctor and they did an MRI which showed a thickening of the stomach lining. He went yesterday for a endoscopy so they could take 6-9 samples for biopsy because the doctor said the MRI didn't look good and wants to check for tumors or anything else.
What are the odds that this may be cancer?
He's been through several of pretty much every stomach-related test there is, but this is the 1st time it has seem more severe and the other doctors never did a biopsy.
He is constantly nauseous, goes days without eating, at one point he was so low on minerals and he lost at least 20lbs over a couple months, and his enamel of his teeth deteriorated greatly. He dry heaves a lot, has bad acid reflux caused by almost anything, gets hiccups for sometimes more than 24hrs. He has diarrhea, I'm not sure if there is blood involved? Can't sleep much, sometimes only 1 hour, but that's not every night. I know there are probably symptoms I'm forgetting at the moment.
I must mention he drinks quite a bit and is a smoker.
Any advice, related info, anything at all would be greatly appreciated.
Also, he was tested for Celiac a while back and that was negative.
Thank you.
You are looking for assurance to ease your worries. No one can say he has a disease or not except his doctor. What I can guess is that those symptoms don't seem as cancer. In fact symptoms never equal a cancer. Only diagnosis means cancer. Also stomach cancer CAN be cured. So wait for the results and try not to worry and it would be good for him if he quit smoking and alcohol.

Best of luck