Gastroenterology Community
colonectomy

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

colonectomy

can the patient live after the whole colonectomy ?

This discussion is related to Info request on post op scenario of colonectomy.
Yes, and some (on this forum) do it well. After colectomy, small intestine adopts its functios. Lose stools from less absorbed water may be a problem, but even this tends to improve with time. It depends from person to person.
Here's a link to a post from Morecambe who has posted about a colectomy. If this is what you are facing, reading this may be of help. Morecambe posts fairly often and hopefully if this post is seen and you have other questions, you'll be able to get first-hand experience from someone who knows.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/489861?post_id=post_2787060

Hi Calgal - thank you very much for steering our friend to the relevant posting.

Antermothena - if you find that you cannot click on to the link try the following:-

- in the search box at the top right hand part of the sceen type in renae241 and click
- then scroll doen to the second posting marked colectomy and click on that section

Do come back with further questions as you absorb the information and decide its relevance to your own personal situation..

It seems amazing that one can live without a colon (= ~ 5 feet of large intestine snipped out...!!) but it is true.  I'm doing fine four and a half years after my op.

regards
Morecambe