Gastroenterology Community
Colonoscopy Magnesium Citrate/Bisacodyl Prep

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'll ask this again in a very short fashion.  Has anyone used just 2 bottles mag citrate and 2 5mg. tabs bisacodyl for colonoscopy prep?  My directions say 1 bottle at 4pm, then 1 bottle at 8pm with the 2 tabs.  This is while on a 1 day liquid diet for an am (before noon) procedure in the surgicenter.  I'm allowed to sip water up until 2 hrs. prior to the procedure because it's not in the hospital.

How long does it take to start the purge?  How long to finish?  How much nausea?  Is a person who is generally constipated normally likely to have a tough time with cramps and be up most of the night?  Any tips are appreciated.
I used Picolax for colonoscopy prep - unsure about the one you will be using. Have you tried 'googling' it?  I took the Picolax at 2 pm, purge began just before 3pm. 2nd dose was at 6pm and the purge kept going until midnight. I was still going a bit in the morning before my colonoscopy (which was before noon).  I had no nausea or stomach cramps,but while taking the Picolax I only drank water, and the whole day before that I only took clear chicken noodle soup (strained without the noodles) and orange jelly (you can have lemon jelly, but no red) I also sucked barley sugar drops that day) The day before that I had a very light diet with boiled fish - no meat or veg. It's called a low residue diet, but be sure the day before you start your prep you only take the clear soup and jelly.
Hope this helps as with a previous colonoscopy I had eaten the day before my prep and suffered terrible stomach cramps and was up most of the night.
Good luck, hope it all goes well for you and that your colonoscopy is clear.
I'll answer my own question now that I've been through it.  The mag citrate was pretty easy to down ice cold.  I added a little lime juice to take some of the saccarine tast out.

I didn't have any horrible cramps or nausea.  I kept drinking liquids on top of it.  It took 4 1/2 hrs to start.  Then the trips to the head got more regular after the 2nd bottle then slowed down so I could get some sleep.  Woke up at 4 am to start again (although less frequently).  Was still going a couple of more times right up until the procedure (about 10am).  I never went clear and the doc's notes said prep was good in one sentence.  Then at the conclusion he said small and sessile lessions could've been missed due to the prep.  Go figure!

Moral may be that this is not the best prep for a sluggish gut??
I did not have a pleasant out come with my prep. I stayed on a clear liquid diet all day ( ate lite the night before) took two   2 Dulcolax tabs at 5:00 PM along with 10 oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate, 6:00 PM took 2 more Dulcolax tabs, 8 :00 PM tooke another 10 bottle of mag Citrate, first Bowel movement 11:30 P.M. and two more during the night, was not best movements. Never went clear. procedure started then aborted, because 'POOP" ( Doctor assine word) was still in colon.

Not the best scenerio have to repeat proceure in a 2weeks time. Not a good recommendation from my end.
When I was scheduled for my second colonoscopy (after 5 years) I decided to make things easier for myself.  I stopped eating any kind of meat for a week before the test, and stopped breads and dairy products about four days before, also anything else that might be hard to digest. I started the clear liquid diet two days before the test instead of one day as prescribed.  For the prep the day before the test I was told to take two Dulcolax tabs at a certain time (I forget the times involved), then later on I had to drink a gallon of some kind of stuff - 6 oz every 20 minutes, then that night at about 8 pm I was to take two more Dulcolax tabs.  Well, (on my own)  I also took one Dulcolax the night before, to get a "head start".  I think this regime made things go easier, although drinking that stuff was not easy.  I never had cramps or nausea, though after the first couple of glasses I started to feel really bloated and it got worse.  For my first colonoscopy I was told to purchase a bottle of Fleet Phospho Soda and drink half of it (diluted in ginger ale or water, etc) and two hours later to drink the other half.    Sounds simple, huh?  It was about 2 oz each time, but that stuff was really nasty and made me very nauseated, and I could not keep the second half down - it came back up after just a couple of swallows.  Everyone I have talked to who drank the phospho soda got sick from it.  Luckily the first half of the bottle was apparently enough because I was passing clear water by that night, and the test was fine.  Since polyps (pre-cancerous ones) were found last time I will have to have the test again in 3 years, possibly yearly if more are found.  I will request the pills for prep next time, you have to drink a LOT of water I understand but at least there is no bad tasting, nauseating stuff to drink.  I recommend doing what I did, stay off meat for a week at least, bread and dairy for about 4 days, clear liquid diet for two days instead of one day before beginning the prep, and taking an early laxative pill the night before you start the prep.
Jackie
I just had my first colonoscopy today, I did the Miralax, ducolax prep...the miralax in gatorade was not bad at all, but the ducolax (I was supposed to take 4 before bedtime), well I have IBS and knew I could never do four of them...I only did one and the doc said the prep was fine...the ducolax gave me pain (cramps) for most of the night, I only went twice during the night, however, I had the procedure 8 this morning, its now 2pm and I am still going to the bathroom, how can that be???  For three days before I did a very low residue diet, I am shocked that still keep going...I guess its normal for me...but who knows.
I had alot of anxiety over the prep so much so that I was miserable for a week leading up to it...but it was alot easier than I expected...I don't think i will ever take Ducolax again, its a nasty drug...
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers