Gastroenterology Community
Worms in human stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Worms in human stool

What causes a human to have worms in their stool?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Intestinal parasites may be transmitted through contaminated food or drinks we take. These go through the mouth from uncooked or unwashed food, contaminated water or hands, or by skin contact with larva infected soil. These then move into the intestine, where they reproduce and cause symptoms. Washing the hands before eating and  cooking the food properly may help prevent this. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi Dr. Santos,
Thank you for your reply. I am a home health aide and I used to take care of a lady that had worms in her stool.  Her daughter is a nurse and she told her, but I think she did not really believe her till she actually showed her.  Her daughter did not seem to be to concerned about it as she did not make an appointment or tell me to make an appointment with the doctor.  I no longer take care of that lady but that has bothered me ever since.  I used to make breakfast which consisted of toasted Italian Bread with butter and cheese and coffee.  Then for lunch she would have a sandwich.  Her and her husband ate a lot of take out from various places her daughter would normally bring.  If not taken care of can that lead to serious problems?  I still call her once in a while, I could call her and let her know she should get that checked out if she has not done so already.  Thanks and Have a Wonderful Christmas!
Hi Again,
By the way the worms are not large worms like the fishing kind, as she described them they where very very small and white and she could see them moving around in the stool.  She used to have accidents every so often, she had issues diarrhea so she wore depends which is how she was able to check her stool.

Thanks Again!
Pinkie, I had parasites before and almost died from them.  It was from contaminated water.  We didn't have water and would get it out of the side of a coal hill.  I spent weaks in the hospital because it ate everything I did and took all my nutrients and the vomiting, diahrea etc.  If she has parasites, she needs to get medical help if she hasn't already.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers