Gastroenterology Community
1 month post gallbladder surgery,still having pain/symptoms,anyone else...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

1 month post gallbladder surgery,still having pain/symptoms,anyone else?

Hello! I had gallbladder surgery month ago because of gallstones(8 good sized stones)I was having major digestion problems and  urq pain for a year,I had to fight dr over having gallbladder out thinking it was the problem,and thought having it removed would improve,things are worse it seems.I'm still having urq  pain,heartburn,nausea,belching,bloated gassy feeling,also my stomach/bowels rumble constantly.Sometimes feels like I'm having gallbladder attack! I'm careful what I eat..small frequent low fat bland meals.I was warned after I eat of having to run to bathroom but havent had that problem yet..I'm constipated.Not sure if this is normal.Most ppl I know who had gallbladder removed felt better after,I dread eating because I feel sick after and digestion is painful, I get bad abdominal cramps.I do have IBS,not sure if it is IBS because in past IBS didnt bother me on daily basis and never been this severe, as this is everyday,and I cant deal with the pain unless I take a pain pill..that isnt normal.Dr told me it is IBS and Stress,but I'm not stressed.
        Anyone else experience this after surgery? does it get better and eventually go away? any advice appreciate,thank you!
-3 Comments Post a Comment
Go see your gastro doc (or find a different one) and have a talk about sludge or stones that may be still retained in the bile duct.  This problem is not uncommon in people who have had gallstones.  The procedure to evaluate is MRCP, and the procedure to get rid of the sludge if it's found is called ERCP.  It's basically the same as endoscopy - only more involved from the doc's end of course.  But your experience as the patient will be the same as endoscopy.  
Hi, how are you? ty for your reply.I'm currently changing dr's (pcp,gyno,gastro) and hopefully another dr will be more interested in further testing and I will ask about stones in ducts.I had endoscopy last year for acid reflux so at least that procedure isnt too bad.
       I'm also having another laparscopy (gyno) in two months to address the chronic pelvic pain and question of endometriosis.Not sure why during gallbladder surgery they couldnt take a quick peek.Two possible reasons,endometriosis,or scar adhesions from previous 3 abdominal surgeries.Hoping to get an answer soon,take care,Prayers (:
                                                      Stephanie
thank you for your post, and thanks to jaybay for your reply. I just had gall bladder suregery april 8. And I too am still in alot of pain. I go back to surgeon again next week for another follow up and I will ask about that ERCP. I have also had 3 other abd. surgeries. I had gastric bypass, and 2 incisional hernias. I know i have not taken care of myself up to this point, but since this last surgery I have been following orders to the T. and can't understand this pain. They did c scan but said I was just having gass pain? well thanks again and I will keep you in my prayers!
-Becky
Hey fellow-sufferers and JayBay...nice to see you again!
ERCP can be helpful, but does not come without significant risks.  Make sure that your doc COMPLETELY explains them and has performed thousands of these procedures.  ERCP's success depends very greatly on the doc's experience, and its not an easy procedure and should be done by a specialist who knows about the pancreas.  There are a few great centers in the US including but not limited to North Carolina, Indiana, Minnesota and Massachusets.

I just wrote a long post about my experience after GB removal - if you are interested, its in posting number 515526

good luck!
I had my gallbladder removed three months after my 2nd child was born 16 years ago, for a few years after the surgery i continued to have the severe pain in the front that traveled to my back, and the only thing that helped somewhat was when i took gas ex chewables, but i could not understand why after surgery i was still getting these attacks.  It has been a long time now and no longer get the attacks but suffer from loose movements most of the time (i am taking questron lite powder twice a day to help bind me) and that has given me some of my life back but suffer alot from stomach problems  and seem to only get worse as times goes on.  Keep in touch with your doctor  and hopefully the pain will eventually subside, please be careful what you eat, no more fried foods or fatty foods for sometime your system cannot handle it.

good luck
crumy
I had gallbladder surgery 2 months ago.  My pain and attacks are worse by each passing day.  Upper right quad., through to my back.  Am supposed to have ERCP in a couple of weeks but in so much pain right now, don't know if I'll make it that long.  About ten minutes ago I noticed a little pocket of puss and blood near (but not sure related to) belly button incision from BG lap surgery.  Anyone make any sense of this??  Could it be a stone in a duct?  Pancreas? Something?? Anyone?  Lots o pain.