Gastroenterology Community
11 year old son with severe constipation, pain for 2 months
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

11 year old son with severe constipation, pain for 2 months

My 11 year old son has had severe constipation & stomach pain for 2 months. He was a happy healthy kid before this, now he's not able to go to school, he's been hospitalized several times, recently had to do a cleanout with an NG tube. He's had blood work, stool samples, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, ultrasound. The drs have mentioned gastroparesis but he's not vomiting or nauseous. He's scheduled for a gastric emptying test this week. Miralax is no longer working, Milk of Mag was working but its been several days now that its not. Any ideas of what this could be or what to do would be greatly appreciated! Megan
As frustrating as this is for you, the doctors are doing all they can by eliminating one thing at a time.  Have they checked his Vagus nerve?  This is responsible for aiding in movement of food through the intestines and if it's not working properly things don't move. I would give him an enema (children's) and see if that gives him some relief.  Also, probiotics are very important, have him eat yogurt enriched with probiotics 3 times a day if you can, if not this often just get some in him every day.  Avoid dairy, this tends to cause constipation give him 1% or 2% milk for now.  I know it's heartbreaking to watch your son go through this and I feel so bad for your little guy! Probiotics and work wonders, and I hope this helps.  Take care.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...