Gastroenterology Community
14 year old daughter feels full and bloated after eating small amounts ...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

14 year old daughter feels full and bloated after eating small amounts of food

My 14 yr old daughter has been complaining of feeling full and bloated after eating only a small amount of food.  She describes the feeling as if you had just eaten a very big meal.  This has been going on for months, but i didnt think much of it, as she did not complain much about it.  Tonight, the feeling of fullness lasted longer than usual and she could not eat her dinner, even though she wanted to.  She felt too full from eating a small snack earlier.

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but she has very large stools-and they have been like this for years.

I am going to call her doctor tomorrow, but as you can see from my nickname, I am really getting worried.

Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I would recommend that you see a gastroenterologist about this and get a gastric emptying scan to look for gastroparesis which is slow emptying of the stomach.
So do you think I shouldnt even bother going to the pediatrician first?  I was ready about gastroparesis.  How do they test for it?? Is it evasive?  Is it a serious condition?   Thanks.
I think if you already have an appointment with the pediatrician, then you should go see him.  Also you might need a referral from the pediatrician to see a gastroenterologist.

Gastroparesis is tested for using a gastric emptying scan (I recommend the 4 hour version).  She will go in the morning having not eaten anything after midnight and she will be given a meal that usually consists of eggs, toast with  jam, and some juice.  There is be a small amount of radioactive material in the food (not harmful).  Then she will lay under a scanning machine that will show how much of the food is in her stomach for the fist 30 minutes, then at 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, and 4 hours.  In between those measurements she can get up and do whatever until it is time for the next scan.  The scan is painless and nothing touches her.  Then after a couple days the doctor will get back to you and tell you how much her stomach emptied and if she has gastroparesis.  This test is very very easy (not invasive at all) and the hardest part of the test is eating the meal.

Gastroparesis ranges from mild to severe.  If the gastroparesis is mild, she will have to adjust her diet to low-fiber, low-fat, multiple small meals throughout the day.  She may also be put on a medication to help with stomach emptying like domperidone or reglan.  If those don't work there are other options like a gastric stimulator (an implanted device), a NJ or J tube (a tube that goes into her small intestine and she is tube fed that way instead of eating).  I have pretty severe gastroparesis and so I am 100% fed through my J tube.  Let me know if you have any more questions.