Gastroenterology Community
2 Plumbers with stomach issues for 3 years?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ok so Im going to make this as short as I can.  3 1/2 years ago a plumber friend and me got very very sick starting almost the same day.  We worked in some nastey stuff.  We both had horrible diarrhea, fatigue, warm flushed skin, skin rashes(skabies cream made it go away but it came back atleast 8 times) bad stomach pains, couldnt eat a thing could barley stand and we let ourselfs get very very dehydrated.  After about 4-5 weeks of that we both were able to start eat again and diarrhea got a lil better and stomach pains got a lil better but all of it never went away.  We both have been having relapses over the past 3 years we could go a few months feeling mostly ok except for loose stool and then poof stomach pains and all that.  I have had colonoscopy, upper GI, a TON of bloodwork, a few stool tests and a few other random tests.  IBS has been ruled out by 2 GIs the only thing the have found is vitamin b12 deficent vitamin D and GERD in both of us starting almost the same time 2 years later.  It took me 2 years to see a doctor tho because I didnt have health insurance so I may have missed out on diagnosing time?  Most doctors first thought is a parasite.  My puppy got Giardia over the winter and he didnt even go outside once(to cold).  So thats one thought.  One more question is the fact that we both let ourselfs get so dehydrated and didnt drink much at all could that have made it much harder to flush anything out like a parasites and it become a chronic problem?  

Thank you for taking your time and answers to help me get a diagnosis.
Well, my guess would be, especially since your puppy got ill, is you both got the Giardia parasite.  It comes from water or anything that is contaminated by waste, which is what you two were dealing with several years ago.  It has to be killed off by medication, metronidazole or tinidazole are the drugs for it.  I know, you've already said they done stool tests.  But I still think the doc you are seeing at the moment should just go ahead and treat you as tho you had the Giardia parasite.  Drink plenty of water during the time you are on the medicines, and when you want to eat, just eat bland stuff for a few days, like banana, rice, apple sauce, and toast.  By the way, Giardia is contagious, and might explain how come your pup got it!  He may have got it from you!  Also, Giardia causes dehydration.

And the reason you kept getting sick is becuz since you couldn't go to a doc to get those meds I told you about, so you never got well.  It's the only way to get well, is to take special drugs.  After you finish up the drugs, get retested for that parasite.  The reason I say the doc should go ahead and treat you, whether it showed up on the slides or not, is because I had a dog who had worms all the time, and the very day that the vet tested him for worms and he was clear, I was with him when he passed waste, and I saw a living worm crawl out of it, so tests don't always catch everything!  Take some diluted chlorox and clean off all your tools, workclothes, gloves, boots, then chlorox down the tub and the whole toilet, and with a fresh batch of diluted chlorox clean your puppy's bowl, plus with another batch of chlorox, wipe off your house doorknobs and steering wheel to your car.  That ought to do it.  By the way, if I were you two, I'd steer clear of each other and other people until you finish the medicine.