Gastroenterology Community
2.5 year old with vomiting off and on since born.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My son is 2.5 years old and this year alone he has vomited on multiple occasions. At 2 weeks old he had an obstruction which surgeons said would clear up on its own. Ok fast forward to 1 year old and again had an obstruction that surgeons said would clear up on its own. Oct of 2011 he seemed like he had a stomach bug vomit and diarrhea, a week latter he vomited in his sleep, few days latter temp for no reason, week latter again he vomited in the morning. Month of Dec ran a temp and complain of stomach hurting they said he was constipated and full of gas so they could not see anything. 2 weeks latter vomited on the 19th of Jan 3 times, and now on the 24th he vomited and diarrhea. I am lost and don't know where to go on this. When hubby comes home I am going to make an appointment with a doctor but so far they say its a virus on all occasions. Please any advice
Tags: 2.5 year old, vomiting, diarrhea
Get your son in to see a Pediatric Gastroenterologist...this is their specialty and can get to the real root of the problem.  I don't buy the "obstruction" theory and I'm glad you're not either.  I have a lot of experiences with obstructions due to an hereditary colon disease and you don't vomit or run a temp, and they are extremely painful. When a doctor tells you it an obstruction...ask "caused by what...and why will it clear up on it's own?" Why does it keep happening???  ALWAYS seek a second or third opinion, I learned the hard way that medical students who graduate at the bottom of their class are still called doctor!!  Google "best pediatric gastroenterologist" in your area and go from there.  I wish you all the best, I've been through this with my boys and negligent doctors and it infuriates me.
Thank you, Each time it was an obstruction they rushed him to Vanderbelt and the other time Riley's. When I asked about it happening two times their reply is that it happens alot, and that a virus caused it. I am tired of the run around and I will ask about a Pediatric Gastroenterology to look at him.