Gastroenterology Community
4 mo old with GI problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

4 mo old with GI problems

My 4 month old son only, excuse me, but poops with a suppository. He was 34 hours before passing maconium, jaundice for that didn't peak until day 12 of life, and his feces has always been yellow with mucous and what looks like small curds of cottage in it. He was  primarily breastfed until 3 months old.  Before that he was on formula for 1 week to see if that produced anything, but no luck. We have tried malt suppliments, prune juice, karo syrup, and an oral laxitive, but still nothing. Rectal exams show no feces in the rectum and normal reflexes. At 6 weeks
I took him to a children's hospital E.R. after the pediatrician didn't know what else to do other than check for obstruction. He had not had a BM for 8 days at that point. They did a pyloric ultrasound that was normal, however the tech did say that there was alot of gas in the intestine. They gave him a suppository which worked, and then an abdominal x-ray, which showed no obstruction. I was told to give him a suppository every three days and see if that started a normal pattern. It has not. He was on zantac for reflux (due to not sleeping thru the night, a little spitting up and wanting to eat every 2-3 hours)  I do not know what to do or to suggest to the Dr's. I need suggestions!!!
Tags: child, problem
Is there any history of GI issues of any sort in your family? Any history of celiac disease? Babies can be constipated from food intoleranc issues (via the mom). And the problem with some of the food intolerance issues is you could add a fair amount of prune juice, etc. and you wouldn't get a lot of 'movement.'

Tatmomof5, a suggestion......post on the WebMD IBS board to TrudyGERD. I don't mean to take you off of this board, but she's a good source of common sense info on possible intolerance issue - if you feel that might be a consideration. She's got kids with intolerance issues and knows a fair amount about gluten/intolerance/formulas/etc. She might be able to give you some advice.
There is no family history to my knowledge, but other than imediate family, I wouldn't know. I mention Celiac and hirschsprung to the GI doc and she basically told me I was crazy. "Those are VERY rare" was her response. I will contact TrudyGerd and see if she has anything to offer. Thank you so much.
Celiac rare????? When it's found in about 1 in 133 people????? Excuse me? I think your doc needs a small refresher course. Hirschsprung's is more rare, however, and the symptoms are a bit different from what you are describing. But nothing should really be ruled out unless some form of 'checking things out' is done.
I am in trying to find a different doc. I think this one just thinks that GERD is the only GI problem in the world. Her only reson for not checking into it further was that he is gaining weight well, but he is not getting longer. My oldest son had pyloricstenosis with a 99% blockage an dstill gained weight until he was switched from breastmilk to formula.
My son was diagnosed with Hirschsprung's Disease at age 8 wks and have been through the "wringer" with him.  So when I hear a dr. say "couldn't be b/c it's so rare", I want to scream!  Hirschsprung's Disease IS rare but not unheard of - the only way they can diagnose it is with a rectal biopsy.  But if your dr. doesn't want to pursue that avenue, you may need to pursue another dr.  My son had a bm at birth but at about 7 days bile came up through his nose and also was in his bm's.  That's when I became alarmed (he also has many other medical issues so the bm was not the only issue at that time).  Sometimes when he becomes impacted the ER dr's want to do an enema in the ER and it only cleans the bottom part of his colon & rectum out - it doesn't do anything for the top part.  So, I don't mean to alarm you but it is worth investigating.  Hopefully, he does not have HD.  My son also gained weight but does not have control of his bowels.  Sometimes you have to go on your gut feelings and I think you need to look for another dr.  I have had to go to other cities & states to get help for my son, which is extreme but necessary in his case (he has digeorge syndrome & hirschsprung's disease - which is very rare together). hope this helps.  Renee