Gastroenterology Community
4 year old constipation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

4 year old constipation

My daughter is 4 years old. Since her birth she has had a MAJOR constipation problem. She's been to all the specialists and had alot of testing done but still noone can tell us why she only goes once a month. Is there anything specific I can bring up to her doctor to help figure out what is happening with her?
Did the docs find any indication of Hirschsprungs? Do you have the written results of all the tests and have you read them? Sometimes information is contained in those reports that may not be relayed to the patient for some reason. If you haven't read those papers, I'd suggest you do so.
What is she eating?  Does she get enough fruits and vegetables?
So sorry to hear! This must be really hard on the both of you.
I found a really great link that might help you figure out what the problem is, and lists some things you might want to bring up with your doctor.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/constipation_in_children/page2_em.htm
thank you everyone!! as far as the hirschsprungs she had a biopsy of her rectum to test for that. I was told she had the cells they look for, but they were small and there were very few. I'm not sure what that means but I was told it wasn't hirscsprungs. Idk. As far as her diet, she eats very little because she's always so full of stool but when she does eat, I stuff her with fiber. Thank you for the link, I'm going to check it out. CalGal, I'm not sure how to get ahold of her paerwork, how would I do so??
Well my 4 year old has had the same problem since she was like 3 months old.  It got a little better when she was potty trained but I have found that the best thing is a Prune in the morning and a prune at night and also PLUM juince. Not PRUNE. Its very easy on the body and it tastes much better!  We also did everything possible to try to find out what was going on and when they didnt have the answers we just did what we could till we found out what might work!  She still doesnt go regular but atleast once a week which is SOOOO much better!!!  Hope that helps!