Gastroenterology Community
5 year old w/stomach pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

5 year old w/stomach pain

For over a week now my 5 year old has stomach pain immediately after eating and it last for about 10-15 min. His Dr. prescribed 15 mg. of Prevacid twice daily and in between he takes mylanta. He is at the point where he doesn't want to eat for fear of having stomach pain. Does this sound like Acid Reflux?   Also, he is not playing, all he wants to do is lay on the bed in a ball.  Please Help! I need some answers.
If the doc thinks it's acid problems, make sure he's tested for H. pylori. In addition, you might want to check out a GERD diet and see if that's of help if you can adapt it for him.

He's not too young to have an endoscopy if that's what's necessary to try to get to the bottom of this. I know the doc wants to treat him conservatively, but if what's currently going on is causing day-to-day problems, you may have to ask the doc to take further measures to try to find out whether or not the problem IS acid issues, or if it is something else.

Is the pain localized under the ribs or is it more in the abdominal area? Iif it's pain that only lasts 10-15 minutes, it really doesn't sound (to me) like the problem is acid-related, although I could be wrong about that.