Gastroenterology Community
50 yr male w/ osteoporsis, Prevacid use
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

50 yr male w/ osteoporsis, Prevacid use

I've been taking prevacid 30 mg TWICE a day for 10 years.  Once a day before that.  Doc says should be no problem.  I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in my spine (aver. -3.2) and osteopenia in my hip.  I am very active, martial arts instructor.  5'11" and 185 lbs.  I was told to cut back the Prevacid to once a day.  My blood work shows no obvious problems.  Has prevacid been linked to Osteoporosis?  

This discussion is related to Prevacid  and Osteoporosis.
Tags: Prevacid
Blank
Look at Prevacid's website or the CDC to know for sure
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I don't know about the Prevacid, but you should have your testosterone checked.  My husband fell in his early fifties, was a body builder and avid runner.  When he fell he broke his back in 2 places.  He was diagnosed with Osteoporosis, they started him on Testosterone shots  (his was low), and within a fairly short amount of time, his bones were strong again.  He has to take the shots for the rest of his life. Just like women lose estrogen with age, men lose testosterone which leads to osteoporosis in both sexes.
Take care!
Blank
PPIs have been implicated in bone issues, unfortunately.
Blank
Look at Prevacid's website or the CDC to know for sure
Blank
I had testosterone, parathyroid, etc checked and all were normal.  The only thing I can link it to is the Prevacid.  So far I cannot find anything helpful on the CDC web site, but I'm sorting through a lot of data.
Blank
Try this: http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/publications/AI/general/index.htm
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979