Gastroenterology Community
6 year old abdominal pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

6 year old abdominal pain

My 6 year old has been having recurring upper abdominal pain now for nearly 2 weeks. She is perfectly normal and happy and then her stomach starts hurting.This occurs at different times of the day and when it starts she gets really distraught. I had her to the doctors and she was refferred to the paediatric unit for assesment. The doctor had an x-ray taken which showed nothing unusual. The doctor said she needed to see her in pain and then to do a scan on her belly to pin point the pains. The next time she was in pain i took her straight over to the hospital like i was told and was told they wouldnt scan her and the pain is probably nothing to worry about. I am worried as the pain has to be coming from somewhere and i need to get to the bottom of this.any suggestions of cause ?
It sounds like her digestive system. She may have intolerances to certain foods like wheat or dairy. Something like Acidophilus added to her juice is great and can be given to children.. www.innerhealth.com.au  If the doctors are not being any help try eleminating firstly anything new she has recently included in her diet. When my daughter was suffering from stomach cramps I was not given much help or direction either. But after I approached  a (good) natropath and maintaining a good diet her stomach has settled and we have also nearly eliminated her asthma. Dont give up trying.
Hi.
I also have a child, a son, that has been having episodes of severe stomach pain. This has been going on for severalmonths, on and off. At the beginning, he would have maybe one or tow episodes a week, where he would double over with the pain. The pain would usually begin about and hour after he had eaten and last only 30 minutes or so. There were absolutely no other symptoms. No gas or bowel movement changes, no vomiting. I called the doctor about these episodes but was told it was probably that he was sensitive to some foods. Then the episodes began to get more frequent.As soon as he awoke He would complain that his stomach hurt just above his naval but it was mild to moderate pain and he could play etc. That is until he ate. Once again an hour or so later he was doubled over. This time the mild pain stayed for two or theree days, with severe pain after every meal. After 3 days in a row of this I again called the doc. Doc said probably a virus despite the fact that there were again no other symptoms. After 3 days my son seemed fine. 10 days ago the mild pain above the naval began again with severe pain spreading across the abdomen after every meal. FINALLY the doc recommended the pediactric GI, that he is going to see today. Does your daughter have any other symptoms besides the pain? DEFINATELY be persistant with your doctor. There are more tests that can be run besides a scan. You know your child better than any doctor, and you should listen to your instincts that something is wrong. It does sound as if it might be digestive related. But if she has no other symptoms besideds pain it could also be some sort of inflammation. Its very hard to tell with kids and kids sometimes complain of frequent stomach pain. If your childs doctor refuses to investigate further, I would suggest changing doctors. Keep me posted on your daughter is doing.
MM