I've had a 3 week history of vague abdominal pain with some stool irregularities (namely, foul odor and soft texture).
All blood tests (CBC, CMP, pancreatic enzymes, CRP, ESED, LDH) have been normal.
Abdominal ultrasound was normal.
I had an MR Enterography a few days ago. The impression was that there was an "Apparent 8mm polypoid lesion in the right wall of the duodenal bulb. Otherwise, normal MR Enterography." No other abnormalities were noted.
The recommended follow-up was upper endoscopy, which I have scheduled for Tuesday. But in the mean time, I am petrified. From what I've read, 90% of the polyps in the duodenal bulb are benign. I don't know what that makes the other 10%--because I've seen them described as adenomas and carcinoid tumors, in addition to the clearly malignant adenocarcinoma. I know the adenomas and carcinoids can possess characteristics of precancerous growths.
Maybe I misunderstand this all. 90% benign may mean 90% non-neoplastic, and 10% neoplastic? I don't know. My head is spinning with worry.
My doctors seem unconcerned, and noted that on my last upper endoscopy (3/2012), nothing was seen there. So there is a possibility that the MR picked up a piece of food or something; moreover, if it is something, it is still likely nothing to worry about.
All I know is that this is apparently considered a small polypoid lesion at 0.8 cm, and that I have some symptoms anyway, I don't know what to make of that.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.