Gastroenterology Community
ALT level 72

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

ALT level 72

Would a ALT level of 72 on a scale of 0-40 be considered as very high? I did my LFT's a month ago and the ALT was at 62.
Tested for Hep B, Hep C and HIV, all are negative.
No - it's not very high at all.  It's elevated some, sure - but honestly - most docs wouldn't even tell a patient they had an ALT of 72 and that there was any need for worry unless it got higher and remained consistently high, or didn't come down, and other labs were "off" too.  You are negative on the hep panels which is great news.  Ask your doc why he's so concerned with an ALT of 72.  Best of luck.
I went through the same thing for the past year.  I had mildly elevated ALT and AST.  My ALT has hovers around 90 and my AST around the 60s and my liver is normal, I finally had to get a biopsy.  You may want to see a Gastroenterologist and get an abdominal sonogram.  It is probably nothing that serious.  I wouldn't stress about it.  Even if it is fatty liver, its not a death sentence.
Is elevated ALT levels of 176 dangerous.
You should make an appointment with a Hepatologist (liver Specialist). If you call a "Teaching Hospital" you will find one. He probably will want to do a "hepatitus (hepatitis) panel," just to be sure you don't have Hepatitus (hepatitis).
There are things that will make you enzymes rise - alcohol, tylenol and probably some meds but I am not sure which meds would. And I think, but not sure, with Hepatitus (hepatitis) your AST would also be high ( from what I have seen) so it might not be hepatitus (hepatitis).
But anyhow you do need to see a doctor to see why your level is high. Even if it resolved on its own, I would still want to find out what made it elevate.
Good luck.
Ps. the date on this thread is old so chances are those people might not be here anymore to answer you. MH should lock the old posts because many new members don't realize they are posting in old threads and sometimes the members might just walk away and take medical advice from a study that is no longer useful.