Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal & back pain, bloating, burping & unable to sleep due ...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal & back pain, bloating, burping & unable to sleep due to severe discomfort

I have always had problems off and on over the last 20 years with gas build-up in my stomach, which also causes severe back pain.  I usually take an antacid, or drink a coke/beer to get the gas to move about, help me to burp and get it all out.  I am a 41 year old healthy white female.

Well last Monday, 8 days ago today, I had trouble sleeping due to the severe pain in the left-upper-side of my stomach and back. I have not slept very many hours since this occurred.  I sleep sitting up, when I do, because this seems to feel better then lying down.  I have been extremely bloated, have burped throughout the entire day and night for the past 8.  I have taken antacids and tried to drink the beverages that have helped before, but to no avail.  I need help in diagnosing this problem.  I go to see the doctor this week, and feel like she is going to start running a (costly) battery of test in an attempt to diagnose the problem and I want to know if anyone else out there is having the same issues, what was done to diagnose the problem and what the final result was.  I am miserable, I have sleep deprivation and as I type this I hold my breath, sitting up because the pain is so bad.  I have moved from my marital bed in an effort not to disturb my husband at night due to my constant tossing-and-turning, burping and moaning.  The pain is now pretty much throughout my entire stomach and back.  Please help!

This discussion is related to Dull pain mid upper abdomen, radiating thru to mid back pain, burping, ideas?.
Im sorry to hear about your pain, I can relate to that feeling. Have you tried otc gas-x? It doesn't make it go all the way away but it surely releaves some pressure. I think one of the key ingredients is peppermint, it helps with some part of the process.  

I also get terrible gas and bloating with terrible cramps, sometimes so bad I cant stand up straight. Sometimes for me it helps me to releave pressure by laying only on my left side, it allows you too pass gas easier when laying on that side due to the position your colon is in.  
  My doctor took an x-ray of my abdomen and could see that I was full so my bowels were moving slower than usual. They might recommend an x-ray or other simple tests to start out for you and those are is fairly inexpensive. But it but end up that you should be scoped, to see whats going on in side you. That is something you will want to have health insurance for.

I wish you luck, and hope find some relief!!! Stacey
30 years ago i had several internal bleeds from a duodenal ulcer, leading to an operation, the only change today is no bleeding.

Symptoms today, bloated, pain left side centre below the rib cage edge, large meal pain left shoulder, cant sleep without a double dose of Gaviscon. The above is agrevated by, beers, fried food, spicey food, drinking to much tea etc.
Stacey had the scope several times and all other tests to find nothing wrong after the operation and recovery yeras, the bad time for me is sleeping with the discomfort.