Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal Bloating/Loud Noises/Gas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal Bloating/Loud Noises/Gas

I am completely exhausted! Can someone tell me what is wrong with me??

I have been having a lot of strange symptoms for about 2-3 months now. No matter what I eat (with very few exceptions), I start having loud weird digestive noises and feel like I am full of gas within 15-20 minutes. The noises are so loud that everyone around me hears them and make comments. The only way to quiet this a bit is to take a couple of over-the-counter anti-gas pills (simethicone).

The other part is that I cannot sleep at night because of gastrointestinal distress. What usually happens is that I sleep only till 2-2:30am and than "it" starts: I wake up feeling semi-nauseous, full of gas (in stomach and colon and possibly small intestines), with slight sensation of heartburn or some kind of burning sensation. I feel bowel movement and hear noises in my abdomen. Changing position usually does not help much. Passing gas from either end helps for a while. I fall asleep for some time (usually 30-45 min) and wake up again throughout the rest of the night. In the morning I am exhausted and cannot perform at work. Changing diet does not help much. I do not have symptoms if i do not eat at all during the day, BUT even if I do not eat at bedtime I will have the above mentioned distress throughout the night.
My blood tests show that I am healthy. My stool varies from day to day: it can be normal, or dehydrated, or loose (diarrhea type), or spasmodic.
Does anybody know what it is I have?
Do I have to live on anti-gas pills for the rest of my life?

Please help
I have the same exact symptoms and I have been diagnosed about a year ago with gastritus disease........ i can't sleep at most nights because of this I also have ulcers.......
Hi Lana

I know it's been a while since you posted about the problems you experience at night - have you been able to find a cause and resolution. I haven't slept properly for the last 3 months as I have the same symptoms.

Ana