Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal Cramps

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal Cramps

I was weak and very tired,so I went to the ER see what the problem was. They took x-rays of my chest and abdomen. I was told that I was constipated. I have been having bowel movements everyday, before I went to the ER.The ER doctor give me a prescription for a laxative to clean me out. I took the laxative&it really cleaned me out.I now have abdominal cramping  after I was cleaned out. I dont have the urge to go to the bathroom, I just have the cramping.My doctor, who is a Colon-Rectal Specialist,diagnosed me with IBS about 4 years ago. I almost never had any flare ups. My question is, Why would I start cramping all the time after the clean out?

Anything that gets the colon working can cause colon pains, and cramping. When the colon is active is when most people with IBS find issues with pain, cramping, urgency,etc. Thats why early mornings are troublesome for IBS sufferers. The colon wakes up when you do and starts to go to work.

When you do a cleanse like that, you are having your colon work doubletime, therefore it could cause it to start creating pain, cramps or spasms. If you find that this is still an issue and affecting your daily life after awhile, go back to the doc and let them know so they can treat it from there. Your GI should have a good understanding of what is going on.
Thanks for reading my post. I had a colonoscopy in 2006& it was normal. I also have Levator Spasm Syndrome. Levator Spasms are spasms of the pelvic floor muscles. These spasms make you feel like you have a golf ball in your rectum. I have seen many doctors, but all they do Is prescribe Valium for the spasms. There is a forum on the net, it is Tipna.(google Tipna to find it).This forum is for people who suffer from Levator Spasms and other pelvic floor problems.