Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal Distension and Weight Gain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal Distension and Weight Gain

For almost 4 years I have been suffering from constant abdominal distension. This is a gradual process while eating a normal diet. Carbohydrates are the worst for it. Also, while my stomach area distends, my weight goes up and my fingers feel puffy. I am usually around 55kgs but with my distension I am at 65kgs. My back is now to the point where it has a very unnatural curve in it due to the distension pulling. The only way to get it down is to eat a high protein low carb diet. I have been told things like its IBS though none of the IBS treatments work, you just put on weight easy but none of my other areas such as my face, hands, chest areas get any fatter. This problem is running my life. All of my scans such as colonoscopy, gastroscopy, xray, ultrasound, blood tests are normal. Please help!
I forgot to add that my stomach sticks out like I am pregnant. Certain foods make it worse like bread, milk and pasta. I know I have some lactose intolerance but usually I just get diarrohae and some cramps with that. I have gone up 2 dress sizes because of the distended stomach. I just need to know if anybody else has this exact problem. I know there are many people on here that describe distension but the circumstances are never the same.

My medical history is simply this: no diseases whatsover, no diabetes, hernias,refulx etc. NONE! I am, according to all tests, a perfectly healthy 22 year old female. Except for this one troublesome symptom. I might also add that this problem is never intermittent, it is ALWAYS there and my weight increases with a normal healthy diet
I to have a distended belly and look pregnant all the time I also have pain with it as well I have been this way since I was a teen but over the years the pain has gotten worse.
I'm seeing a Gastroenterologist to see if they might find the problem I haven't had a colonoscopy yet but I hope to and in a way I hope that if I can get this test they'll find something because not knowing is the worst.
So I know how you feel and I know the frustration becuase I'm 45 and all the Dr.s over the years said the same thing I was healthy and I know there is something wrong I know there is something going on I just haven't found the right Dr.    
Try the gluten free diet and see if you get relief - since pasta and bread cause distension.   Gluten is in wheat, barley, rye and oats.   Basically you eat simply - proteins (not processed), fats, rice, potatoes, veggies and fruit.  Don't use prepackaged rice or potato dishes - they contain gluten almost all of the time.  You'll need a gluten free vitamin (I use NatureMade) to make up for vitamins lost in a limited diet.  Look it up on the internet and educate yourself.  Hope this helps!
I have had the exact same symptoms as you described and am wondering if you ever found relief.  I have had a distended stomach and weight gain (rapidly) for two months.  I always worked out 5 times a week and eat a healthy diet.  Every test ran on me has come back negative or with results that did not attribute to the distention.  I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow morning, but am afraid that it will also come back fine.  What makes me think this is that after prepping and not eating anything for 24 hours, I still look and weigh the same.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle
Hi just curious if you got any answers .. I have the same problem !