Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal Lump

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal Lump

On Thanksgiving, I went to the er with a bad pain in my abdomen. After x-rays, I was told I had Gastroenteritis. A week later, I was playing with my daughter and had a very sharp pain in my lower abdomen that dropped me to my knees. When I reached down, I felt a lump on my lower abdomen, about the size of a golf ball, about 4 inches to the left of my penis. It was very tender. I went to a different er thinking that I had a hernia, worried that it may be strangulated due to the pain. The Dr tried to reduce it and couldn't. They gave me a CT scan and said that it was not a hernia, but that it was an Ilius, a partial blockage in my intestines. They then referred me to a surgeon who was under the impression that. Had a hernia and told me that there was nothing he could do for me. I have been drinking chicken broth, eating jello, and drinking water for 5 days and the lump and pain have not gone away in the least bit. I am worried that I have been misdiagnosed and there may be something else wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts to share to point me in the right direction? Thank you.
Tags: ilius, gastro, abdomen, bulge, lump, abdominal lump, abdominal bulge, Gastroenterology, Hernia, Pain
I think if your bowels have not moved in a number of days, in other words if you are constipated, then this clog has got to be addressed.  If your bowels are moving normally, but as you say you've still got this lump, then the cause of the lump has to be reevaluated.  So, if I were you, I'd go to a different gastro surgeon than the one who had it all wrong, and when you make the appointment, ask their offices to arrange for pictures and records be sent over to them, and this way a new doc can have a go at this from scratch.  Find a group of gastro docs and surgeons in your area, and if you need a referral for insurance purposes, your family doc can do it or a county health department physician can do it.  But I personally do not know what you have or how to fix it, which is why I say go to a new specialist.