Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal Swelling, Pain and Weight Gain
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Abdominal Swelling, Pain and Weight Gain

My mom is going to turn 60 in November this year.  She always had abdominal problems such as swelling/bloating and bruise-like upper abdomen pain, which doctors seem to relate to IBS.  She has observed, over the years, that diary products, wheat and stressful situations used to make these syptomps worse so, today, she only consumes lactose free diary products and special wheat-free products from health food stores. Stress, unfortunately, seems to be a bit harder to eliminate from her 'diet'. For the past week or so, however, she has been experiencing severe swelling/bloating of her upper abdominal and the bruise-like pain is way more severe than ususal. Her abdominal looks so much bigger that it scares me, and she has been eating very well and healthy (with me) for the past 4 months or so. She is not constipated and does not seem to have gas problems at all, but she is experiencing fatigue, upper back pains, neck pains and shortness of breath.  Please let me know what you believe to be the cause of this condition and what we should do. Thank you!!!