Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal pain, can you shed some light?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been having pain in my right hand side just under my ribs for around 3 years. Initially the pain was very on and off and only recently, last 2 months or so the pain has become constant but has also developed almost parallel on my left side. I went for a jog yesterday and after about 7 minutes, the pain was agonising, I had to stop. I then started feeling pain about 2 inches above my belly button as of last night and that has continued today. It is all quite tender to touch. I have also had aching pain all around my right arm and shoulder and shooting pains in my breasts. Generally I am feeling very uncomfortable.
I have been to my doctors regularly since I first had pain but initially with it being so on and off they weren't too worried. I have had several rounds of blood tests that have all come back normal aside from iron levels being low but they aren't concered about this. I have had 2 ultrasounds that were both normal and also an x Ray and a colonoscopy- the x Ray and colonoscopy were about 2 years ago though before the pain got worse. I am still seeing the doctor but am now waiting for a gastroenterologist appointment which he said is likely to be after Christmas. Can anyone shed some light on what they think might be going on? I am very worried about it all and as I say, feeling uncomfortable to the point that daily exercise which used to be very normal and regular for me as a healthy 20 year old, have now had to be reduced.

Thanks for your time.
So a this point its basically uncomfortable or painful in your entire abdomen?I suggest (and I don't know why your doctor hasn't) a ct scan. This can check for any enlargement of the galbladder, pancreas, spleen, etc. I also wouldn't wait til after xmas to see a Gastroenterologist. I don't know where you live, but if possible, try to get to one sooner. Myabe they need to be the one to order a ct scan.
When you did the xray, did you have to drink anything prior. Barium Contrast, i think is what you have to drink for that. Pretty sure without that, an xray of the abdominal area won't show much.
Some other possibility may be stress, anxiety, gas, food allergies. Need to get more testing done to really rule out all of these possibilities.
Thanks for your response. It's painful in my entire abdomen, specifically and originating from my right side under ribs. It just seems to be getting worse and over more areas. I also don't know why my doctor hasn't sent me for a ct scan. Is this something I can request? I didn't have anything to drink with my x Ray, so it was, as you say, not very likely to show a lot. I have been very stressed about it, as you can imagine, one would worry about what it is. I am seeing my doctor again tomorrow so shall see what he says and push for answers if necessary.
Several things- first what kind of doctor are u seeing?? Is it a GI Dr.?  Second- It is never a bad idea to get a second opinion.
Third- ER's are hit or miss but if you're doubled over be seen- by an MD- not a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant- or OD - make sure it's really an MD.
You've probably done this-  since these symptoms are sticking around, keep a journal. Even just a brief entry each time - time of day, meals- have you eaten or not and what did you eat, specific description of symptoms, stressors- are they present, what were you doing when it started - or got worse--- and is there anything that makes the pain lessen- such as body position, meds taken, isolating yourself to try to control pain and not let anxiety- which happens to all of us when we hurt- get the best of you. Being emotionally upset and anxiety has a direct correlation to your pain. - I hope the best for you-  chinacat33