Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Abdominal pain

I have sharp abdominal pain to the right of my abdomen about 3 fingers width. It has been there for months and I mainly feel it upon touch. Lately I've felt bloated. I saw an obgyn and ovaries and uterus have been ruled out. My pcp wants to send me for a CT scan of the abdomen. Is she thinkining hiatal hernia possibly caught early?? I am thin, don't always eat the best, not pregnant (my son is 8) . She says its in the area of the ileocecal valve. I have had issues with constipation throughout life. I'm in my 40's.Is there anything other she should be looking for??? She seemed to think if it was a hernia it would not require surgery which contradicts what I've read. Since health insurance limits test and such I want to be sure we are exploring all options. I feel full quicker and feel bloated and a little uncomfortable after eating. Any thoughts?? Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion is related to Did I have a hernia or is it IBS?.
Possibly gallbladder it took me 1yr of on going problems had all the test in the world done said it wasn't my gallbladder. Finally, I decided to go to the hospital after having really bad pains, glad I did I had a stone STUCK in my gallbladder had to have emergency surgery. Or it could be IBS, APPENDICITIS
You need to get the CT done of your abdomen because it goes indepth showing the tissue of all your digestive system. If you had like a gallbadder or enlarged organ there. If there is anything wrong the CT scan will show that.
hi, not all hernias require surgery, some heal on their own with a little help from ant-acid medication, i would recommend you undergo an endoscopy, this way you can find out if you do have a hernia plus they can determine if h-pylori infection is present by taking a biopsy, also if ulcers are present then they would see them, cheers.
for sure its not hernia...hiatal hernia produce heart burn and pain in stomache not right lower abdomen....other types of hernia are visible at examination..they dont need ct scan for diagnosis.
in your case it can be something blocking the ileocecal valve as its a narrow passage connectng small gut with large one.
it can be gall stone,worm,hard piece of feces called fecolith or a growth.
it can be appendicitis too
the best approach is ctscan