Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal pain localized on left side, upper quadrant

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been experiencing localized pain on the left side of my abdomen for over a month now. The pain is only on the left side of my body, just under my rib cage and also the left side of my back (mid back, left side of spine). The pain is constant- sometimes I experience pulsating sensations accompanied by pain, sometimes it is just a dull ache and at other times it is a sharp debilitating pain.
I originally went to see my GP for symptoms of severe back pain, abdominal pain and fatigue. She ordered some blood work and a urine culture, which came back showing signs of Kidney Infection, which I was treated for (prescribed Sulfatrim).
The infection did not seem to clear up, my symptoms did not go away or ease after a week of antibiotics, so I went back to my GP. I was then prescribed a different antibiotic to treat the infection (Cirproflaxin). After a week of taking this prescription I had experienced little change as far as my symptoms went, so once again I went back to my GP.
My GP did not have an answer for me in regards to why I was seeing very little change with treatment, so she ordered blood tests to check my Creatine levels and WBC count. The results were that my Creatine levels were within normal range and that my WBC count was slightly elevated.
My doctor did not put me back on antibiotics for she didn't want to risk my body developing a resistance to medications I may need in the future (understandable). She told me she wanted to wait a few days to see if my pain would just go away, so that's what I did.
After waiting in pain for almost a week, I went back to my GP. She ordered a CT Scan of my abdomen and prescribed me Tylenol 3 for the pain. The Tylenol did help with managing the pain, but it did not take the pain away. I went back again to get my CT results (still suffering with abdominal/back pain), the GP said that my CT looked good the only thing of note that they picked up on was that both of my ovaries are abnormally large. This was not a surprise to me as I have experienced symptoms related to this in the past and there is a history of reproductive health problems with women in my family. What surprised me is that they found nothing showed up in my kidney, which is what she was treating. I am still experiencing the pain in my abdomen and back. I am also experiencing digestive symptoms as well now. I think it is worth mentioning that I have been diagnosed with Acute Colitis before, that I have recurring UTIs/Kidney Inefctions and that there is a history of both Kidney disease and Crohn's disease in my family. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.