Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Viewing 401-439 comments:
I am 54 and for last year iv been having really bad apin under my rib Right side flank pain under my rib...The pain is getting more and more frequent.
I had my galblader out may years ago so i know its not that...I have had xrays..ultrasounds...MRI bloody test and im told nothing is showing up in any other then...This is really depresing me and worring my Mother passed away with Non hodgikins lymphoma could this be what iv got as i wastold it can fun in family i do feel some lumps in my stomack as well only small
Sam

Thank you for your information. I really thought it was helpfull. I really needed to know that I was not crazy. Sometimes these doctors make you feel like you are just going to see them for nothing. I know my body! I have this pain on the right side in between my ribs. I just got a CT scan and they are going to taking my G Bladder and found cysts on my liver. The thing is I have been having these cysts showing up everywhere in the last year. I have had 3 removed from my gums, 1 from my leg, 1 from my eye lid, and now they found 2 on my liver and want to take my G Bladder. No one can tell me whats wrong. These cysts have got to be forming for a reason. This is painful and costly to have them removed! Help
Just been enjoying about 1 month of not being in pain.

Why? Not totally sure.

I took a break for 2 months about 3 months ago as well but it came back with some serious dental work.

Some things that have helped me:
-Daily study of the Word of God 'claiming' memorizing and meditating on scriptures
-1 tablespoon of either lemon, apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar (these all work pretty much the same when I had my worst pain)
-Going gluten free (really eating less of any processed foods!!!- Note that it took me 6 months to get gluten out of my system.)
-The Egoscue Method (I do a daily routine of easy stretching exercises) as well as daily walks
-1 Teas of Baking Soda in Water

Except for the power of the Word of God, I have no idea how the other things have helped because I have never gotten a firm diagnosis but I hope and pray that some of these helps will help others who are suffering.

I am experiencing the same thing you are. Have had every test I can think of and all the blood work too ! I have had my pain for 2 months now. Some days are worse than others. Pain meds can help control it if I dont over do it but I have a life to live for crying out loud. I go see a surgeon on the 25th. If by some miracle he finds out what it is , I will be more than happy to let you know !
I used to get this pain, only a few inches lower, after eating anything with hamburger.  I have been vegan for about 6 months now, and have not experienced it, until the last couple of nights, when I had consumed some cheese with pasta.  It's direct beneath mylowest right rib and feels like something is tender with slight movement, feels weird but mild.  I beleive there is a connection to this and foods that we eat.  I will continue to be strict with my vegan diet and post again soon with relative changes:)
any progress in your condition, i have the basic symptoms as you for 4 months
Lets try an experiment together, those with Gallbladder & without.

Sit in a chair, stretch right leg out behind you as far as you can, now lean forward onto desk laying your head on your left arm (like you where bored in one of your high school classes), now make sure your right leg is stretched out behind. Now breathe in slowly, but deeply, where does it hurt??????

Is it right under or below the right ribcage???
This suggestion is only for those individuals who have already seen a doctor - had things checked out - and not been able to determine a problem.

There are muscles that can spasm or get something called "trigger points" (which are tender areas where the muscle fibers are contracted). These trigger points often refer pain to other areas. There are TWO muscles that can cause pain in, under, around the ribcage area AND around to the back (usually the lower, inside aspect of the scapula). They also mimick gallbladder issues.

So...if you have had all of the tests come back normal - and still experience discomfort - you may want to give this a try.

Trigger points will usually disappear by applying pressure/massage to them. The two muscles that need to be addressed are; the Serratus Anterior and the Diaphragm.

To release the Serratus Anterior muscle, feel for the most prominent rib on your side, straight down from your armpit at the level of your nipple. This is usually where the tenderness is the greatest. If the trigger point is very active, you won't feel like touching it - as it can really hurt. Fortunately, it doesn't take much pressure to have an effect. If you do not feel tenderness at that specific spot - realize that trigger points can be on any of the 9 ribs that this muscle attaches to. You can simply use your fingertips to apply some pressure to the tender area. Hold the pressure for several seconds (keeping the pressure the same). You should feel the tenderness start to slowly subside (this is the muscle releasing - as your pressure should be staying the same). Palpate your entire side feeling for tender points. Apply gentle but firm pressure to the tender points.  *****Keep in mind that the trigger point may be several inches from where you are feeling the discomfort - it can still be the cause of the pain*****

The second muscle is your Diaphragm. This is a thin muscle that separates the orgrans of the chest from those of the abdomen. It attaches to the lowest of the ribs (all the way around the body). You will have to use your fingers to apply some gentle pressure under your bottom ribs. This can feel uncomfortable and is easiest on the exhale motion (I find it nearly impossible to go deeper on an inhale). Your hands and fingers may tire easily - so you may have to break it down into separate sessions.

If these trigger points have been in the muscles for some time - they may take some time to release. Be patient. If you are tender after your first session - give yourself a few days before trying another session. Expect a slight "bruised" sensation. If this happens, not to worry, the tenderness will subside in 1 - 3 days and the muscles should be much healthier and happier than prior to the treatment.

If this all seems too complicated or you are apprehensive - call around to find a good, qualified Massage Therapist that is experienced with these treatments. If they look at you with the "deer in the headlights" look when you mention work on these two muscles - keep looking for another therapist. An experienced therapist should know exactly what to do. However, with practice, you can easily do this yourself. There is a great book that can guide you called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. You should be able to find it on Amazon, ebay, etc.

Again, to reiterate, I only recommend this for those that have exhausted other resources. Please don't assume that it could be muscles if there is potential for it to be your gallbladder, liver or pancreas. However, if all has been cleared for you on those and you are still frustrated with the pain and discomfort - I think some of you might possibly find relief with these techniques. I suppose if even ONE person does - then it will be worth posting this. These techniques, of course, will work on either side of the body - but trigger points on the right side Serratus Anterior - could definitely be more prevalent in right handed individuals (but not limited to).

Best wishes to all!

Ah - and one more suggestion if this fails. Some people may find relief through acupuncture. If the the thought of needles makes you uncomfortable - find someone that does acupressure. Same concept, but without the needles!
is it really the pinch nerve theory cause it just happened to me today ????
i too have been suffering with this pain and idscomfort for about 3 mths, all test came back ok except when i did hida scan second dose bout killed me, so GI doc thinks it is my gallbladder although it is functioning at 51%..I meet with surgeon next wed, wish me luck and i feel your pain!
I'm only 19 years old male overweight. I also have right quadrant pains getting really bad, I've had an abdominal ultrasound which didn't find anything I am nauseous 24/7 I hardly eat, 2 times at most a day all for about 3 months now pain comes on and off and it'll hurt my back and sometimes cause heartburn very painful sometimes. Certain little things like alka seltzer and cimetidine will help numb it for a bit but not all the time and I at one time was abusing alcohol and now when I do drink every so often it makes my stomach very upset and causes me immediate diarrhea. I too have had the "clay" type stool every once in a while I have no idea what that is or even an idea of what's really wrong with me, any advice?
CMT4u Thanks for your sharing--

Egoscue Method, Physical Therapy, massage and treatment for a 'possible' ulcer  helped me - also I stopped carrying a heavy purse over my right shoulder. Who knows for sure-- only God! I just praise Him for my being out of my worst pain.

..folks really  should be sure to check out bodywork especially when other things are dead ends...  

I could not afford much testing, and well, I don't have a whole lot of faith in conventional medicine today -- they are too specialized and looking at folks from their specialty only not the whole person. The last time I looked all my parts were all connected and when one part hurts the whole body is uncomfortable---  

I personally think dehydration might be a factor with myofascial pulling on our muscles and messing with our overall structure.  

Lots of considerations-- thanks again for your thoughts!
Wow, you shared a bunch  of good things to consider.
BTW I am almost 60 female and into menopause 2 years.

I was at 56 on my last Vit D test- last year.  But alternative doctors want folks at 70 or 80. I know it is important to ask for the 25 Hydroxy+25OH-D2 Test (Dr. Mercola has lots of good information on this on the web) I was as low as 27 in '08. I supplement and also get little bits of sunlight and like taking cod liver oil in wintertime. I would like to get my levels up!
  Hi rathycodes,

My URQ pain got better at once with Pepcid but help wore off  after a while Plus I think Pepcid and similar OTC or prescription drugs are not healthy and they can cause other problems.

I was finally helped (over 1 year) with remedies for ulcer, Egoscue Method bodywork, Chiropractor and massage visit and physical therapy.

Will talk to my "Alternative" friendly Endocrinologist- I am hypothyroid and am wondering about the thoughts you shared...
In the 90s I had blood transfusions and 6 months later was told I had Hep C.  I have pain in my upper right quadrant where my liver is located.  I did a year of interferon for the Hep C, cuz my liver counts started rising, the treatments were successful.  I'm having the pains again so I am wondering if my Hep C is back.  I will have liver function test ran in Augsust.
Somewhere below in these comments, someone posted something about Flaxseed Oil and boiling it and taking a few swigs of the stuff each day. I didn''t have the time yesterday to do that, so I bought a bottle of Flaxseed Oil Gel Caps. I took 2 caps 3 times yesterday and I already noticed a difference this morning. Dr's don't know diddly - just read these postings about how many people have had procedures that did nothing !
Thanks for this idea:  very similar symptoms!  And, I am lactose intolerant, so this makes a lot of sense.  I've had all sorts of tests, all sorts of meds, nothing helps much.  Will check it out - NAN
It is Aug of 2012 as I write this and I have now been pain free eight months from the Upper Right Quadrant pain that I had had for 1 1/2 years prior.

I am still studying my health and believe that I reacted to Nightshade Foods (some of nightshades are Potato, Eggplant, Tomatoes and Peppers).  I had become a vegetarian 6 months before my pain began and I had been eating a lot of these. And I was taking a bunch of herbals that had cayenne pepper in them. I believe I developed an ulcer from the peppers and the tomatoes. I was on a protocol to heal my ulcer for about 6 months and I know that was a big healing factor, but I was also helped when I gave up gluten and  when I did Egoscue body work.  If you go though my posts you will see all the things I tried.

I hope my experience with this pain helps someone else. I was one of the worst pains I have ever had and I cried myself to sleep many nights.

On the plus side my health quest has yielded many great lifestyle changes    and most importantly my spiritual life excelled.

Just to let the guys know - look up Epididymitis on Wiki if you ever have sore testicles combined with pain radiating into the abdomen - the vas deferens can get infected when the little check valve that is supposed to stay shut when urine passes through fails slightly - I had this happen during a hockey game - I am in my 40s and thought I either had a groin pull or hernia - it suffered for a couple years with that on again off again dull pain - turns out the only "doctor" that could figure it out was the PA at work (former military) that suggested an infection - it took the second treatment of antibiotics to cure it but it worked -
Did you get your tests run? Jackie 01333

With me I decided to test eating gluten and see how that feels - I have felt URQ discomfort but so far  (one a few times days apart) no way near what I had at its worst--
for me I think I had an ulcer caused by nightshades and gluten-- This is just a strange theory so I am still trying to sort it out.  It was so very painful and I dealt with it 1 1/2 years. I never want to go there again, will avoid nightshades and most gluten to be careful.  

Because of  faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and serious study of the Word of God I am coping  with life stresses so much better and my system is more alkaline (Stress is very acid to the body).  And I also  think that and Earthing, grounding, (going barefoot on my walks)  has been healing.  

Faith Alone in The Lord Jesus Christ Alone has healing for now and eternity and natural things like checking reactions to foods, getting the body into a more alkaline state and going barefoot are safe, simple and Free.  
I know you posted awhile ago but I am having the same symptoms. Have you ever heard of pheochromocytoma. This may help.
Off and on for 13 years I would episode that were not painful--that overrode my darvocetN--I would just get extreme bloating right below my  ribcage. The first one happened 1996, I couldn't vomit, no diarrhea, just like something was blowing up my ribs.  After hour-or so-, I broke out in extreme sweat.
And then I was fine, except little tummy distress.  Six months later same thing, but of lesser endurance.  Every 18-24 months I would have these episodes. I just became diabetic, but all over excellent health..on heart healthy diet, lost weight-40 lbs, etc.  In 2009 I had one of these episodes and went to emergency room.  I had a gallbladder attack, with possible pancreas involvement. Given antibiotics for 8 days then had laproscopy.
Test shows stone, crystals, sludge.  After surgery, I had extreme diarrhea, no matter what I ate, but then at same time prior to the surgery I had had a total knee replacement...so my antibiotic level was on overload..steriods, biotics, herparin, etc.  I ate some yogurt--good for gut, and went on with life..Ate anything I wanted. Also have had 3 colonscopies within 15 years..negative.  I never had PAIN, vomiting, diarrhea with my gallbladder.  My liver enzymes were up before, Now all
my lipids, TSH and heart readings are normal.
My paternal grandmother, father, and now me have had gallbladder problems, grandmother died from it, but back in 1945-1948, screenings,
CATs, MRI didn't exist.
I have just completed one of the most agonising weeks in my life.Like many other posters on this site, i have been plagued by URQ discomfort also accompanied by upper stomach discomfort, bloating, belching and loss of appetite.Its sad to say but at some point i began to suspect the worst.The doctors i first saw thought nothing of it and prescribed antacids.They did not work.After doing numerous blood work I got fed up and saw another doctor who referred me to an Gastro who told me that he would not comment until I had an endoscopy done.It was done.Almost everything was negative save for some slight irritation.That was a breath of fresh air thank God! I now have tonnes of medication just to deal with the symptoms.For all those undergoing the same, take heart.
The burning sensation is exactly like mine!!!  Yay!  Mayo says it's more than likely a chronic muscle injury due to incorrect weight-lifting movements.....I'm guessing you lift free weights to improve your upper body.  Get someone to watch your technique to see if you're doing it correctly...otherwise, dunno....
I am 62..and am in the forum of indentions on my head, neurology.  I too live in florida..where there are plenty of chemtrails. Here is what I found:'ve been on this forum for several months..I think we all have morgellons ...which includes Nanno Technology parasites.  There are 10's of Thousands of children and adults afflicted with this new unresearched or undiscovered affiction.  I have been treated this last few weeks and am getting much better.  My doc doesn't have all the answers ...but a blood test with the microscope showed all the parasites.  If any one has questions, I will give them  information.  Our doctors are not familiar with Nanno Technology  parasites...they are being used to kill the real bugs, pests in corn, cotton and wheat fields...all over the world and can nest in the cotton clothing...you can breath them into your nose...they look like a piece of pepper and very very tiny.  But they can bite..kind of like a tiny dart....They link together with fibers inside your body, kink of like the picture below of "new gene discoveries". They are a cross between Garden "scabies and spidersWEBS" I think they come from Chemtrails.  This is an assault on Humanity, animals and mother nature...
in Florida: my story (I'm on the Indention forum in Neurology: 've been on this forum for several months..I think we all have morgellons ...which includes Nanno Technology parasites.  There are 10's of Thousands of children and adults afflicted with this new unresearched or undiscovered affiction.  I have been treated this last few weeks and am getting much better.  My doc doesn't have all the answers ...but a blood test with the microscope showed all the parasites.  If any one has questions, I will give them  information.  Our doctors are not familiar with Nanno Technology  parasites...they are being used to kill the real bugs, pests in corn, cotton and wheat fields...all over the world and can nest in the cotton clothing...you can breath them into your nose...they look like a piece of pepper and very very tiny.  But they can bite..kind of like a tiny dart....They link together with fibers inside your body, kink of like the picture below of "new gene discoveries". They are a cross between Garden "scabies and spidersWEBS" I think they come from Chemtrails.  This is an assault on Humanity, animals and mother nature...
Are you any better now did the Dr. ever find anything? how are you coping, You can leave a message at   ***@****,
Jamie, I'm in the same boat as you. 42 y/o Male same EXACT pain you're having. I haven't had any tests yet. Lemme know if your pain has ever resolved. I REALLY hope your pain has totally disappeared!

Here's my email addy Bro

Hemmlocke316 at yahoo *******

Take care!

~Derrick
Did you every figure out what that was?  My symptoms are exactly like yours!  I.e. the getting worse when you walk around, relief when putting pressure on the area, and better with sleep...
I have right side pain for past 2 years. Had my gallbladder out, still pain. Had an angiolipoma on my rib cage just about bra line right side, had that removed still pain. Came down with cdiff from antibiotic use and pain got worse. Very hard to get rid of but also prevalent in our community. Now on flagile, vancomycin taper and lots of benibiotic probiotic. When pain is better, cdiff symptoms are better. Never really gone. I've come to associate pain getting worse as cdiff coming back. Ulcerative colitis, inflammation of the colon causes pain. Feels like someone pushing on my rib from inside. Even painful to touch on outside, not as bad. Only way to know is cdiff stool test. Took doctors almost a year to do the test. Btw, acid rescuers for stomach make cdiff worse as stomach acid helps keep cdiff in check. You can get it from community or taking antibiotics, kills natural flora in colon.
I too have had under the right rib pain for several years.  Sometimes it makes me nausious.  The pain spreads across my mid-section under my ribs and makes me bloated.  Hurts.  Dr. put me on Omeprazole.  I take it for about 14 days then go off.  It is still tickling me though up under that right rib.  Mother and her Mother had their gallbladder out.  I don't have stones, but have not been tested to see how it is squirting.  Guess that's my next test.  Ugh!!!!
problems after gallbladder removal, I've had all the test MRi, ERCP  ultra sound,Catscan , Endoscope,Barriam test, straight shot all the way down no blockage.etc. The docs find nothing, Must be scar tissue,final answer. Pain pills and home. This October  will be 1 full year of extreme pain. I have Doctors bill up the yang yang, Thank GOD for Medi-care. I feel so bad using all that money from Medi-care. Pain and or pulling down from under rib cage, right side, hip to the back, sometimes I can't stand up so severe,also been to the emergency hospital they find nothing. Was planning a trip to GERMANY to visit daughter, now can't go. Its miserable.
If anyone has an answer to my problem plse call. 559-471-5301, th u
Thanks so much for sharing and  all the great insights and info. you've given  here. I just developed this symptom a few months ago for a week or  two and now today it started again. I was tested  last year and  my pcp Dr. found that my calcium and vit D levels are low. He does prescribe me a prescription vit D3 off and on . when i have the vit D 3 script,I take one pill a  week on the same day,so I choose sunday. I take them for about 4 to 6 wks. Then, when I'm off them for a while,I've been retested and  the findings are the dame ,low vit D and calcium. My Dr. also had me buy  viactiv calcium chews with vit D and k. when using those,I'm to take two a day;one in the morning and one at night,12 hrs apart,so that I get the recomended amounts of calcium  with the benefit of vits D and K.  I've been disabled since spring of 2003,when after having IBD  since march of 1988,I kept getting worse  again,but now with lower back pain,left leg sciatica, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue immune disfunction,chronic epstein barr  virus,chronic gastritis(had gastritis since I was 5 yrs old and was always constipated as a child and teen),I had untreated  ADD as a 10 yr old and think I still have it, hypothyroid,nausea,migrains,multiple chemical sensitivities, low level asthma,lactose intolerance,bad bone density,going through menopause,depression,gerd and many overlapping symptoms,illnesses, medicine side effects and misc.     And,my dentist says  the reason my teeth are decaying ,chipping and falling out,is due to dry mouth caused  by my medications. I've lost 6 teeth within the past 6 months and some fillings and parts of teeth too. One of which is my right front tooth,and the two beside those and some others.  It seemed to me that everytime I'd go to the dentist,especially to have my teeth cleaned,and if when i was there  my dentist didn't fix the small loose teeth,fillings and cavities right away,they's get worse. Not wanting to blame anyone,but,I've watched it up, three of the teeth I've lost,were right after I'd come home  from a cleaning within a day to a week afterwards. White fillings won't stay in either. I wonder if there's more than one reason why I'm literally loosing my teeth.like those dreams  you often have of your teeth falling out: mine actually are.  I'm now going to have to have oral surgery in a hospital about 2 hrs away from my home,due to dentists  and oral surgeons not wanting to accept my  UPMC  medicare advantage  special needs plan and/or pa medicaid,since I'm low income and a duel eligeble patient.  It's always like I'm chashing my tail,or constantly putting out fires,or trying to with all my medical problems.  I'm worried about going under ,being put asleep  to have all my teeth taken out,then get dentures.  I didn't do well with a laproscopic gallbladder surgery  in spring of 1993,when i was 33 yrs old,in Palmerton ,Pa hospital. I had complications,was in alot of pain and  was in the hospital hooked up to tubes and ect. for several days,and then after a week ,I was discharged. then,to find out that there wasn't anything wrong with my gallbladder afterall! So, why on earth did they remove it then? They'd done a prior  sona gram or ultrasound. They should have just closed me up,if they were in there and knew it was a healthy gallbladder. This might have been a case of unneeded surgery.    I'm not sure ,if i survive the oral surgery,if and how I'll adapt to and afford comfortable dentures. I don't own a vehicle ,so i must depend on others and pay them to take me to my dr's appointments and ect.                          Sorry to go on and on,but  I'm wondering If I'll ever be able to get out of bed,for  several hrs at a time,without alot of pain and other symptoms. I need  and would like to find  out how to get a better "Quality of Life"../ Then,My ex and some others,are on me for having to take prescription narcotics and going to a pain management clinic. I was on tylenol since 1988 for my ibd cramps and leg pain. Dr's tell me it could have a bad effect on my liver and heart,if i take tylenol. I weaned myself off all narcotics for 4 to 6 months in spring and summer of 2011 and took  OTC Aleve liquid gel caps. They did help some,but they also ended up making my upper stomach much worse too. So, when I'd gone back to a pain management center in  Aug or sept. of 2011,they'd told me that Aleve is very hard on the upper stomach. So, I'm dammed if I do,and dammed if I don't.      Again,so sorry to go on and on,but without going into some detail and explaining most of everything I'm dealing with every day and night,it's hard to get the total picture of me and my medical probs.   Don't get me wrong,I know there are people out there much worse off than i am.And I'm very greatfull for all my blessings as well as the blessings of others.     If anyone  has any insights,info or comments,please feel free to  post them. God Bless,Meldy
This remedy seems to cut to the core...God does ask us to put our lives into His hands...takes the stress away like wading up a piece of paper and throwing it in the trash.
Good God...:)!
I am having the same symptoms for a few weeks now and it is mind blowingly annoying ...irritable pain URQ just under rib cage radiates and follows to scapular region in back, sometimes dull, sometimes sharp and more bothersome at night time.  Also some indigestion and gas at times (my diet isn't all that great but I try), I am slightly overweight but no where close to obese (20 pounds left over from 2 year old), I am age 42, feels like a racket ball is under my rib at times and new the last 2 days is itching at the site URQ.  I am female, a nurse and relate to the drill of test after test but I have decided to skip all that and not even see a doctor right now (not anxious for them to want to remove any of my parts or insert objects into them) and go for the raw garlic/hot tea and flaxseed gel caps.  Wish me luck.  If this works out maybe I will learn to quit smoking and eat even more natural and organic foods because I do believe the variety of processed foods we eat are slowly killing us all.
Have you found out any results because it sounds like what my son is having, he has every test you can imagine and nothing,  The catscan reports inflamation (inflammation) and fluid in that area, but they still can not figure it out.  He is 23 years old and is depressed, misreable and sleeps all the time.  He is thinking the worst also.  Please HELP US figure this out.
Has anyone considered that it could be chronic lyme disease.    I have had the same right sided pain for months.   2 emergency visits, cat scans, hide a scans, sonograms, sec.  All blood work is fine.   I did go on antibiotic 2 times and felt much better, my psoriasis on my palms completely disappeared but came back 3 weeks later upon stopping the treatment.   I just finished another round of antibiotic and felt great til I stopped now the pain is back and the hand is itching again which means the skin condition is returning.   Everyone is puzzled.   I am doing holistic treatment for lyme disease no even though I tested negative the last two tests.   If anyone comes up with an answer please post ASAP.   It is making me nervous.  So afraid at this point that they are missing something and this bug is getting stronger against the antibiotic and will take  over some day.  N
NO51O, I recommend you watch this video and talk to your doctor:

https://vimeo.com/3154687
I had the same problem for over a year I went and had a hida scan found out my gallbladder wasn't functioning properly. Doesn't empty properly. to fix the problem I eat less fat I did not get it removed cuz that causes you to get heavy & sometimes some people still have phantom pain after removal.
I had my spleen removed in 1980  due to being a goalkeeper on a marine/navy soccer team and rolling onto my right side to make the save. this was in 1979, the surgeon told I was lucky my spleen did NOT rupture because they found 2 severly weak spots on the spleen, Since then I have In 1980 I was totally open from sternum to 3 inches below my belly button I expected major scar tissue, since then they have had to go in 2 more times for scar tissue removal. Could this be more scar tissue given all of the tests have come back negative, they did a contrast CT and it did NOT reveal anything but on palpation the hospital doctor could feel it.  I need help, any sugestions?
Have you considered bodywork?
I would recommend Egosque,MELT and massage.
These can eliminate pain and work to hydrate Myofascial.
These helped me when I had  un-diagnosed upper right quadrant pain for over a year. Health seeking came from my suffering and by the grace of God I have improved my health in many ways and have learned better how to listen to my body. No doctor or even close loved ones live with your body 24/7 and no person can solve your issue better than you can.
I pray you get rid of your pain and get blessed in the process.
Fow few days I have persistent pain in the right side just below ribs, painfull on touch area about 2 inchhes in diameter close to center. 2 months ago I had CABG replacement surgery. Another problem groin hernia. Do you have an idea, what it could be
I too am suffering from these symptoms and after reading the first page of comments (many comments) I came across a post about SOD, Sphincter of Oddi. I have had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and have suffered from abdominal pain ever since. I am currently being treated for acid reflex but even that doesn't do anything for the pain under the right side of my rib area. Research symptoms of SOD and you will be surprised on how this will copy many of the issues you are dealing with. As with everything this is not the answer to all but I'm sure it is for many as it is in my opinion for myself. I am making a doctor appointment for verify and although I have been let down by our western medicine doctors for years it seems that God does answer prayers and yes he uses those he sees fit as vessels.
I am also hving right side abdomen pain for abt 1year.after went to doctor(5doctors,2 gastro,3 medicine) some found it to be gastric ulcer,one liver problem,one found IBS.blood test,amylse,syrume,LFT,CT scan,upper endoscopy,colonoscopy,ultra sound all done.But they are not confirmed what is happening to me!now i still feel the pain sometimes.So i am now on very strict diet,boil...left drinking ,meat,milk ,high protein.So all of you if you are also tired of going to doctors i ask them to make a habit of very selected diet.
I am a 53 yo Male that has had RUQ pain for 5 years! Gallbladder removed in 2010 for insufficient empting, Ultrasounds, CT all neg except for fatty Liver. All Blood work normal, I have High Cholesterol. SOD was discussed and I tried a anti-spasmatic drug that did not work. I have had colonoscopy and Upper endoscopy with some erosion in stomach probably caused by NASID. I ma getting tired of this pain. any ideas??
That is the same thing Im dealing with.....I don't have a clue whats going on ...went to hospital and they said stomach bug or food prison...but it was really bad that time ..most of the time it just feels like a really bad heart burn with pain ...feeling nausea and I have the diarrhea .......
I have been suffering with pain right under my ribs right side, all organs are fine, no infections, doctors cannot find anything wrong but now that I read your post I pressed deep right under my rib and found a tender spot.
I am going to examine this possibility closely.
Thank you
Blessings
H
I have had pain on my right side below my rib cage going for 2 years I have experienced many test but last test I had was a chemical stress test. When testing I experience no pain in my heart but the faint constant pain that I had in my right side below rib cage really was really intense and couldn't stand the pain but once the test was over my intense pain went away. Dr. didnt want to address my pain because they said it not a heart issue. But my mother had the same pain before dying and Dr.'s told her that she had blockage in her artery that goes to her kidney but my mom didnt die from that,she only had the pain there she died from pulmonary fibrosis .  I have experienced that pain for 2 years. About a year ago when pain developed . I began exercising and stop eating fast food and making everything fresh at home,staying away from carbs anything that was white like breads and pasta.I  Eat or drank anything with the last name berry on it. Eat papaya,mango also try to stay away from alot of sugar and sodium . I bought juices that were not concentrated plus apple cider that was all natural. I put spices in my food like turnike, ginger root,basil. I also paid for B-12 injections at a lose weight clinic for ten dollars each week for my depression. Once i did all this I lost 45lbs and the right side pain went all away.  But after 6 months of loosing weight I have gone back to eating fast food  every day , I have gained my weight all back plus my pain has come back as well.Could not stay away from fast food for long. Hope this makes sense or helps.  
I am experiencing the same thing. I have endometriosis and had surgery. than I got sick again. I just had surgery and they found 4 tumors and 27 cists. Unfortunately this surgery didn't help I am scheduled to see a NEW doctor to do an exploratory  surgery. The pain if electrifying. It comes and goes whenever. If you can tell me anything I would be so happy as well as my family and friends. The pain is totally disabling.
P.S. Been going on since October of 2013.....

I have had the same pain and  symptoms ever since I  had my gallbladder taken out in 1986.   Have had ultra sounds, mri's, cat scans, and  numerous ERCP's  with stents placed in the pancreatic duct over the years.  Tons of lab work and many hospitalizations.  Surgery at the Mayo Clinic in 1993, which helped for awhile and then the pain & spasming started all over again.  I  have spastic pancreatic and liver ducts, and it is all connected to the gallbladder being removed.  Have had elevated enzyme levels and had sphinterotomy and sphinteroplasty's done.   What I  believe I have is Sphinter of Oddi Dysfunction.   Right now I am trying to find a Dr. or Clinic who has done studies on the type 111  Sphinter of Oddi Dysfunction to find a medication to control the pain and spasming besides pain meds., which I have to take now.   I currently am being seen at the U. of MN.  and recently heard that they had done a study on Sphinter of Oddi Dysfunction.  My appt. is in July, 2014, so hope they have some other answers.
I am a 23 year old female. my pain starts in the upper right side of my stomach and wraps all the way around my right side under my arm pit and to my spine. happens a few times a week. the pain seems to last for a few hours at a time. I have tried everything. nothing seems to work. I don't like going to the ER. kinda scared its my gallbladder. both my parents had theirs out due to stones. Anyone have an idea what this could be.
Viewing 401-439 comments: