Gastroenterology Community
Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I too have upper right quad pain just below my ribs. I am a male, 46yrs old 6ft and weigh 175 lbs. My pain comes and goes and has for about 6 months. It is not severe pain, but at times is more annoying than anything. It feels like there is something in there pinching me. I went to an internal med MD in July. He ran blood tests that all came back fine. He sent me to have an abdominal ultrasound which showed only "healthy" organs. No dilated bile duct, no gall stones, liver enzymes were in normal range. It is 4 months later and the pain is still happening. When I sit, or bend at the waist, I can feel the pain. It is not a deep, internal pain, but seems close to the surface, just to the right of that little cartlidge/bone that splits the rib cage...just to the right of the stomach. What the heck could it be? My MD put me on Nexium, thinking maybe it is peptic in nature, but 60 days of Nexium and still the pain persists. I am freaking out because my dad passed away this past March due to a rare appendix cancer (pseudomixoma peritonei) that several MD's could not find, nor diagnose properly once they found it, another story in itself...so you know how the paranoia sets in. I don't have a lot of faith in MD's right now. Anyone out there have any input? Can the liver be screwed up for this long and still avoid being detected? Can inflamation (inflammation) be detected by ultrasound? It feels like it's burning, not like heartburn, but a firey sensation...hard to describe. Someone, please help me settle my fly away brain...thanks.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Have you had any previous abdominal surgery?  Just because gallstones aren't present in an Ultrasound doesn't mean the gallbladder is functioning properly.  Have you discussed a Hidascan with CCK to evaluate gallbladder.  They usually want to do endoscopy and colonscopy first.  The reason I ask if you had any previous abdominal surgery is that they found massive adhesions around my liver when they did my gallbladder removal surgery.  I had peritonitis eight years ago from a ruptured teratoma on my ovary.  I believe this was causing a lot of the pulling and positional discomfort I was feeling under my rib.  My surgeon didn't believe adhesions cause pain.  I think I proved him wrong when he got in there and surgery took longer than usual. What is there response to you regarding your dad's history?  Keep asking questions til you are satisfied with the answers.  If you are unhappy with your doctor I recommend a respected teaching hospital where they see more unusual cases.  Good Luck.
Could be IBS as well.

The hepatic flexure of the colon makes the turn right in the same area where the liver and the gallbladder are.  could be buildup of stool and gas that stretches the colon and causes pain.  Has the Dr mentioned this?
I get that pinching pain in my intestines. I have colitis.

I've been having pain under my bottom right ribs for at least 6 months. At first I thought it was my liver because it got worse when I drank, so I got a PET scan of my liver and spleen and got blood tests and everything was normal. I also got a endoscopy and colonoscopy because I was constipated for 2 weeks and that was all normal except for chronic gastritis. My uncle is a nurse and said that the pain sounds like it could be my gallbladder, so I had a ultrasound on my gallbladder, pancreas and right kidney 2 days ago and they said everything is normal there too. I was convinced that I had gallstones because the symptoms matched perfectly and the pain comes on after eating greasy or fatty foods. I did a liver cleanse and ordered a gold coin grass tincture to soften up any stones in there, and have been drinking gallons of organic apple juice. The pain comes and goes, but I've been on a diet for the past week to try to keep the pain away, I'm not eating red meats or fatty foods. Mostly all fruits and salads and fresh vegetable and fruit juices. I also have a popping sensation in the same area if I move a certain way, but that could be unrelated, I read that that could just be "traveling rib syndrome" or something, because I did land on my chest after being thrown off a dirtbike going about 30, and my friend landed on my back which crushed me more. So maybe my ribs got messed up, they look uneven when I look down at them with full lungs.

The doctors have no idea what it is and say everything is normal, but I keep seeing so many people with these symptoms and no diagnosis.. And the pain is real and very annoying, so something has to be wrong I just wish I knew what it is. A hot compress does help make the pain go away, that's what I did after thanksgiving dinner because it started hurting. Does anyone have any ideas, what should I get tested next? I'm hoping it's just stones that aren't calcified and maybe that's why nothing showed on the ultrasound, I'll get my gold coin grass tincture soon and that's supposed to relieve the symptoms of gallstones and soften them up before I try a olive oil and lemon juice gallbladder flush.
Mark, has anyone run or suggested a CA-125 blood test?  It is a basic blood test to determine cancer in the general abdomonal area.  Might be worth asking about...
Don't even go there with the olive oil/apple juice "gallbladder flush". It's an urban myth...gallstones, unlike kidney stones can not be dissolved - and even if they could, you would NOT want the remnants of them "passing through" as this "flush" suggests would happen....the fragments or small stones would become trapped, possibly in the bile duct. This old wives' tale is at best useless and at worst dangerous...please don't even try it....

When I looked up that test on google I found that it's not a very accurate test and testing it for ovarian cancer is a hoax, and all kinds of things can cause elevated levels of the ca-125 antigen.

I get mixed opinions when trying to find out the validity of the gallbladder flush. http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-13529.html <-- All 3 people sound convincing, but I agree with "wrenegade" that the flush makes a lot of sense to me. Yes it could cause a lot of pain, and maybe emergency surgery, but seeing as how my ultrasound didn't show any calcified stones I doubt that there are any stones big enough to get stuck in the bile ducts, especially if I properly dilate the ducts with heat and other methods. I really think that I just have stagnant bile congesting my gallbladder. I've been taking an alcohol based Gold coin grass tincture for the past 3 days and the pain has actually been occurring less often. My diet of whole foods, no fatty foods or red meat or pork, and flaxseed oil capsules has also helped. I'm going to finish my tinctures and attempt the flush once I've started my new job and have some sick time just in case I'll need emergency surgery, but I'll follow the best method I've found, by making sure my system is  cleared out of solid foods and my biliary ducts are dilated. I will post what happens after I've done it.
...But I will ask my doctor for that CA-125 test and every other test I can think of. Just because I'm a hypochondriac. I'm going to try to get tested for all of these when my new insurance starts and I get some sick time:

Hepatitis ABCDE
Slipping rib syndrome
Aortic Aneurysm
CA-125 blood test
Get a HIDA scan to evaluate for gall bladder ejection fraction
Biliary reflux
Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis
Yes, I will agree that the CA-125 is a generic test.  My levels were slightly elevated after my gall bladder surgery, and also b/c of an ovarian cyst that was found during CT.  However, the test does indicate SOMETHING, and if the levels are at 100+, they will do further testing.  Docs want that level to be 35 or lower, my level was at 38.  Not very concerning.  This test is an overall generic test of the possibility of cancer in the abdomen area, which can help to have further exploration.  It is by no means, the end all be all of cancer testing, but it's a really good start to finding out if there is something to be concerned about.

Good luck with all of your testing.  Please, keep us all posted.
Hi, I'm in a similar sitution, with a burning pain at the front under my right ribs and a stabbing pain in the back.  All tests normal so far (still waiting on results from HIDA/CCK).  I've read a lot of blogs where people have this issue and it goes undiagnosed or they are told to accept IBS as the diagnosis.  

If I draw a blank this time I'm going to get my doctor to look into Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD).  I will not accept being fobbed off with a diagnosis of "IBS" as I know people with that condition and it is altogether different from this.  Best wishes and remember you are not alone.

Has anyone else had other symptoms besides the pain below the right ribs?

Like:
Rashes or fungal infections
Swollen lymph nodes
sore throat

Has a doctor said you have a low grade infection, but no antibiotic has fixed it?

Every time I go to the doctor they say I have an infection and prescribe antibiotics or tell me to take like 9 vitamins a day. One of my first thoughts I had when I started feeling bad a couple years ago was that I had a parasite, because this all started after I went to the doctor for a small rash and he said it was a fungal infection after looking at it under the microscope. I also have athlete's foot that has never gone away even with prescription medicine.

I did get tested for parasites when I did the cat scans and blood tests and colonoscopy, and that was negative but I've read that parasites can be very hard to detect.

I just found a paper that describes a lot of my symptoms when I was looking for information about something completely unrelated I just came across the experiments with parasites by accident. The symptoms that the animals had I have also had. Here's a link to the paper http://www.royalrife.com/priore.pdf.

Anyway, for the past 6 months my throat has been sore non stop and I think it's highly possible that I have parasites. Then I came across Cutaneous Lymphoma in that paper, so I will also add that to my list of things to get checked for...

P.s. I found that parasites can spread to the organs and cause a congested liver, and can cause skin rashes and swollen lymph nodes. So that's 3 symptoms that could be explained maybe.
Oh, and I also got tested for mono to see if I have epstein barr virus but that was negative, I didn't have the $250 to take the actual test for epstein barr. The reason my doctor suggested I might have that is because of my swollen lymph nodes, and because I told him that my girlfriend has human parvovirus b19(http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/parvo_b19.htm). But I guess most people are exposed to that and heal from it but some people don't get rid of it like my girlfriend.

I did feel bad before I met her, but since I met her I've been feeling bad much more often.. I wish I could find the problem so I can fix it and get on with my life, I want to be able to eat what I want again without having pain under my ribs and I wish my sore throat would go away and my itchy feet...
So, I was convinced that the only explanation could be either small un-calcified gall stones or stagnant bile since the pain is in the right place and the wrong types of foods aggravate it, and a hot compress makes the pain go away.. But after looking into the possibility of parasites again, I think there's a good chance it could be that instead or both. I also have symptoms of parasites and I found that like 80% of people in the US have some form of parasites in them. So, I ordered a parasite/colon cleanse and will do that for 2 months and see what happens. It's called, the worlds best parasite cleanse or something, here's a link where I bought it http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-INTERNAL-COLON-PARASITE-CLEANSING-ONE-2mth-PACK_W0QQitemZ110068953351QQihZ001QQcategoryZ67555QQcmdZViewItem. I got an anonymous paper in the mail a few months back that explained everything and showed pictures of the different parasites that inhabit humans.

I read that some types of parasites like flukes can live in the liver and gallbladder and even the biliary ducts and cause this pain, which would also explain my swollen lymph nodes and constipation.
Hi. Has anyone thought to try a chioropractor. I had similar symptoms and had by back crunched. After several treatments, my stomach problems cleared up.
hey im a 17 yr old male and i have just started getting a similar pain on my right side. it varies in location, sometimes its right below my bottom right rib, and sometimes its right above my appendix scar and the other is about an inch above my pubic region to the right a little bit. its  hard to explain the feeling but its pretty mild but i feel it everyday for the last month and its starting to worry me cuz it wont go away. it sometimes shakes like a muscle spasm. its sometimes triggered when i smoke too. i was thinking either a strained muscle or something wrong with my intestine. ive been feeling these mild pains for about a month now, i would really appriciate any info you could share with me.

I have been reading this thread in hopes of finding some answers myself.  Unfortunately I have no info to offer rather then to say I am in the same situation as all of you.  I am a 36 year old woman and I have been suffering for 2 years with this pain on my right side rib cage, the pain extends to the front and will go up my back straight to my shoulder blade.  Sometimes it feels as though I am being stabbed, sometimes it feels as though someone is holding a blow torch to my side, and other times it is a dull ache.  The pain began 2 years ago at which time I had an ultrasound and an upper GI done.  Both of which returned little if no information as the upper GI showed mild gastritis and a small amount of fat in the pancreas which the doctor was not concerned about.  I took some Prevacid for a while and it went away but has recently returned over the past 4 months.  This time I have had another ultrasound, bloodwork, urinalysis, chest xray, and a HIDA Scan with ejection fracture, all of which have returned with no answers, showing absolutely nothing!  I have an endoscopy scheduled next.

I am at a loss as to what is going on and I feel that everyone around me is beginning to think that I am just making this all up!  I'm glad to see others have this same problem, not really happy you all have pain, but I know I am not alone in my quest to find what in the world is happening.  I figured my problem was a classic gall bladder problem, but it seems they are unable to find a problem with it.  We had thought it was a gall bladder issue due to the fact that approx. 3 years ago I lost a dramatic amount of weight, 75-80 lbs in 7 mths on the Atkins Diet.  With that diet not focusing much on fat, we had thought that I destroyed my gall bladder in turn.  Plumenting from being over 185 lbs to around 110 was a big thing and though I was happy to shed the pounds, I don't know what this has cost me in the long run.  Since this problem began again a few months ago, I have lost a few more lbs because it is hard for me to eat at times as I get that pain very bad.  Great I am a size 1 now, but I destroyed my body possibly!  I don't know if my weight loss has done this, does anyone have this issue associated with weight loss?

Anyway, thank you all for listening.  I originally had my endoscopy scheduled for Feb 28, that was before my HIDA scan results came back, my doctor told me to reschedule the test for sooner now that we still don't know what is happening.  I will bring up possible SOD as that seems to be a similar pain to gall bladder.  Any suggestions on where else to turn or questions to ask??

Thank you
somebody please help me, im going crazy not knowing what is going on in my stomach!
For ten years my wife has had pmp.  She has had five dbulking surgeries to help her live a normal life.
My God I have so much helper knowledge that I do not know where to begin.
Is anyone out there now?
After reading closer about the questions I better explain I want to help people with pmp.
Pmp is called psuedomixomaperitonei.
It is a cancer and it will eventualy kill.
Is there anyone have that dianosis?
i dunno i havent been to the doctor yet, i was hoping i could get some info about it without going to the doctor.
We don't know what is wrong with us yet. What is it?

I read about Pseudomyxoma Peritonei, and I don't have those symptoms.. I'm anxious for my insurance to start though so I can get more tests done.

I was reading about all of the benefits of garlic and read that if you eat 3 cloves of garlic and drink it down with hot tea before bed it could kill bacteria and parasites and all kinds of bad stuff. So I tried it, and the next day I didn't have my usual pain under my rib. I always have the pain every day and if not during the day it ALWAYS starts at around 10pm, but yesterday the pain never came and I stayed up till 4am with no pain. I also got my parasite cleanse and started that today so I'll keep posting my progress.
you describe some symptoms I've been having for weeks now - to a "T". {Pain and pressure under right ribs, pain is mild and intermittant.) I've had same responses from MD's as well. I don't have much faith in medical community either. I can also relate to many of the responses from others posted here. I recently traveled 6 hours, each way, to see a "highly reguarded" specialist at a medical university as referred to by my local MD, only to be told, after a 5 minute Q @ A session, that I did not have a broken rib. I had kind of guessed that. The only thing broken in that exam room was the doc's broken English. (He was from Germany) Anything you learn, I'd be interested to hear about. Thanks and good luck.
Hi, I'm a 22-year-old female so this may help women...2 months ago I started using Nuvaring (and IUD for of birth control), during that time I've had two UTIs and pain on my right side (under my ribs and lower back) and just recently found out that it's most likely due to my birth control.  I go to my family doctor tomorrow (I'm overly paranoid when I don't feel well) but I took the ring out 2 days ago, and already feel somewhat better.  I've researched it a lot on the internet the past few days and have found that many women have issues with their gallbladder and liver from being on the ring.  I'll report back after my appointment tomorrow, but my OBgyn seems to think this was the problem.
I am also suffering from this same pain. I have had an ovarian cyst removed and my gallbladder removed in the last 4 months - and I still have the pain (yes, both needed to come out!) The HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was not functioning properly (17) and the cyst was about the size of a grapefruit. So, after all that the pain is still with me.
I have noticed that Splenda causes the right upper quadrant pain to be more severe. (I had a carbonated water with Splenda in it and thought I would have to go to the hospital the pain was so bad.) Since I have cut out Splenda (about a month now) the pain is now tolerable. They still don't know what is going on though - the OB/GYN says it is intestinal related and the gas doc says it is female related. Both say they took care of the problems the tests and scans showed. I'm about ready to slap them both! I also have pain from my belly button on down (both sides). It is tender to the touch, but this also seems to be getting better since I cut out Splenda. I think I am going to go to a different doctor and see what they say. No one seems to really want to help me out. A friend of mine has Celiac and she mentioned that I may want to get tested for that. When I mentioned this to the gas doc he looked at me funny. Like, "I'm the doctor here, I should know" type of look. I don't think he is really listening to me and my symptoms.
But, it is comforting to know I am not alone in this! I hope we all find an answer soon!!
Yes, damn doctors. I'm so mad at the last 5 doctors I've been to, western medicine has some serious flaws. Anyway... My pain has been gone for the entire week, after eating that garlic the pain hasn't come back! I've been eating more normal too and it hasn't come back. I really think it was bacteria or parasites or something, hopefully it will go away forever.
Okay gang.  I'm a newbie - of sorts, and have been having the same symptoms you complain of; however, I may have some help.  I have had a complete hysterectomy, and also my gallbladder has been removed.  I seem to get the pain later in the day and not infrequently after I have had something to eat or drink.  I must also wonder if any of you also are obese???  All help totally apperciated.
I am a 50 years old male. Very similar symptoms: pressure, not exactly pain, on the upper right quadrant abdomen, accompanying with bloating, and sore throat. I am going to have a endoscopy tomorrow, to make sure it is not the problem with the colon. I will post the result here.
Hi Everyone,

I just recently started experiencing similar right upper quadrant (RUQ) abdominal pain and came across your thread in my search for information on the Internet.  I did find an interesting and seemingly credible site that recommends various clinical and diagnostic parameters for the diagnosis of the etiology of RUQ abdominal pain: http://www.asge.org/nspages/practice/patientcare/97-right.cfm#sectionH

Basically, the recommended progression of testing should include the following:

1. History and physical
2. Laboratory evaluation
3. Ultrasound of right upper quadrant
4. Hepatobiliary scintigraphy
5. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
6. CT scan
7. ERCP with sphincter of Oddi manometry
8. Trial of therapy for irritable bowel syndrome/functional abdominal pain

I hope this helps.  Good luck to all.  I will check back in soon, especially if I can offer any more potentially useful information.
Just got back from the endoscopic test. Everything is perfectly normal in colon. Next check will be the CT scan.
I just can't understand with all these people having the same trouble and not one doctor knows anything.  I too am having the same exact same pressure under my rib on my left side also.  My pain has only been going on for about 2 weeks.  I sure wish some one could find some answers to help some of us that don't know what to do or where to start.  Its discouraging to go to doctors and spend all that money and find out no more than before we went.  Please help someone!!!
I have had the same thing for the last five years off and on.  Every test done AT FIRST...my doctors were baffled, but my Chiropractor picked up on it during a routine visit when I complained about it while having an adjustment.  He did an adjustment that put everything right back to "normal" in a couple of visits.  My GP was thrilled to hear this.  And took note of it. It's happening again now, and am making an appointment Monday to get it "fixed".  With me, it has to do with the bottom ribs on the right "poking" where they shouldn't.  I have notice the flare ups happening more and more because I use a laptop and twist my torso to type...throwing everything out of whack.  Hope this might help some.
Ok, so if the pain is on both sides or radiates to the back, it's probable that it's gallbladder disease or obstruction. If it's consistently on the right under the bottom ribs, it's likely stagnant bile, liver flukes or other parasites, or small duodenal ulcer (assuming all tests are "normal"). I think that my pain was probably caused by a small duodenal ulcer. They only went halfway into my duodenum during the endoscopy and they are also hard to detect. After eating 3 whole organic cloves of garlic chopped into pill sized bites, the pain was gone the next day and hasn't come back. (3 weeks ago). Garlic is a potent antibiotic. I also started a parasite cleanse the day after taking the garlic, and had been taking omega 3, vitamin c ascorbates and selenium supplements for a month prior. I also drank a few gallons of organic apple juice over about a month, and organic yogurt and kefir which promotes good bacteria. I also tried a chinese herbal tincture called gold coin grass, to break up any stones that could be in my gallbladder. I think that my problem was excess acid mixed with bad bacteria that caused an ulcer that caused the pain. The excess acid was because of my gastritis, and the gastritis I think was caused by a hyperactive thyroid. I have a really fast metabolism and a sore throat that's lasted the past 8 months. My gastritis and my throat are still bothering me, so I'm going to start taking siberian pine nut oil for the gastritis and any ulcers, and lots of broccoli to calm the thyroid. And I'll minimize iodized salt intake, it will cause you to have a hyperactive thyroid!

Also, anyone with this pain should go on a diet. No processed meats, red meat, pork, fried foods, cheese or mushrooms. Chicken breast and salmon are very good and organic yogurt because the enzymes are really good. No cold drinks and avoid beer. When it's hurting put a hot compress on the area, it might help, it helped me. Also try to minimize stress.

I'm now taking omega 3, 6 and 9, vitamin c ascorbates with msm, selenium, mastic gum to protect and heal the gi tract, and aloe vera to help with digestion and acid control. I will soon be taking siberian pine nut oil also. The great thing is that these aren't drugs, they are natural vitamins, nutrients and enzymes that the body utilizes to function properly.
Wow. Same symptoms here. Started 6 months ago. Before that, I always had lower right "gas" pains, constipation, loose stools, extremely large stools followed by small narrow stools, and general bloating and discomfort. 6 months ago I discovered high protein bread (lots of gluten). After a few sandwiches, the upper right pain started, along with all the rest above and new stuff like foul smelling, greasy and green stools. I cut out gluten, but the pain under the right lower ribs remains, alternating from a dull ache to a sharp pain, and a feeling that my entire ascending colon is spazing out. I told my doctor about it last week at my annual physical, he refered me to a specialist for a colonoscopy. I am 43, with an aunt and grandparent who had colon cancer, but parents are still clean. Not sure what to do, but I will know more after the consultation on 1/31.
Thought I would share my stomach issues with everyone, maybe something can help you. I am a 32 year old woman. I had a baby by c-section 13 months ago. 5 weeks later I started having severe back pain. The pain got worse and movedto my stomach. I was admitted to the hospital and had hida scan, ultrasound, catscan,x-ray,colonoscopy and endoscope. All were perfect except for some gastritis.

I was sent home on Flagyl after a weeks stay and felt better for about a month. Pain returned and I was re admitted. They removed my gall bladder and found that is was diseased, non-woking and had the beginning formation of gallstones even though ALL TESTS WERE NEGATIVE.

I felt better for about a month and the stomach pain returned. I was told I had IBS. The pain gets unbearable. I had a IUD put in 4 months after my surgery (I note
this because of the girl who spoke of the IUD). I continue to see Dr's and was sent to a Hemotolgist. I have been tested for the following which were all negative but you might want to check into

Proforua (spelling),Chron's,Celeaic Disease, Auto Immune,Genic and Leukemia's all negative. I have been Iron defecient the whole time and always have elevated liver enzymes.

My gastro dr is gettig ready to knock me out to do the camera pill to check further. I wasn't able
t0 swallow it. I now have have pain under my right rib. I am as annoyed as the rest of you and would like a normal life with my husband and child.
Well, I am really amazed.  I tried the garlic remedy (I took a supplement as I could not face the raw stuff), selenium, cut out red meat totally, and after 2 weeks I am pain free for the first time since last September.  I hope it keeps up.  This is after I have spent so much money on doctor's appointments and tests that all came back negative.
My test follow-up: CT scan on abdomen and pelvis came out all normal. I am wondering what I should check next. The symptoms are on and off. But when putting the mind to the RUQ area, always feel something there.
By reading all the comments in this thread, I guess I should admit the fact that not all symptoms have their explaination, and go live with them...
Like everyone else I have been having right upper quadrant pain for years that seems to be worse when I sit for long periods in the car, and when I stand up and play the guitar and sing. I had a endoscope done yesterday and I have gastritis and duodenitis, As a teenager I developed this same pain and also drank 6 to 12 diet cokes a day. After quitting the DC and taking Zantac it slowly went away, then I got on a major health kick that lasted over 10 years and I didn't have a problem until 4 years ago when I started drinking DC again and mixing rum with it (and daily coffee too). I suspect that most of the previous entrys have some sort of gastritis, ulcer, duodenitis etc, and many are not telling the whole truth or lying to themselves. This comes down to what we eat and drink. Are you drinking coffee?, soda?, mass amounts of food? drugs (painkillers or other street drugs?) I know many want to continue on a path of destruction while looking for a magic pill or surgery that will make there addictions possible, but friends please listen, wake up and examine your life!  You just might not be able to handle as much coffee,soda,acidic-fatty food, alcohol or Drugs like alot of people can. I do have an amazing old time cure that will help ALL OF YOU THAT TRY IT, but I pray that you make serious life changes with food and drink and get on the right path. That being said here's what my 15 years of research experimentation taught me. FLAX SEED SOLUTION- this is an old home remedy that really works if you drink it everyday on an empty stomach. Bring a gallon of water to a boil then turn off the heat. Pour in 1 to 2 cups of WHOLE FLAX SEEDS-NOT FLAX MEAL. and just stir and let the mix come to room temp while stirring every 30 min or so. When it is cool, place a small hole strainer over a large mixing bowl and pour thru the strainer (the mix will be very thick and gelatinous) use a spoon or whisk to beat the seeds in the strainer to get more liquid in the bowl. When you can get no more liquid out of the seeds funnel the liquid from the bowl into a gallon jug and put in the fridge to get cold (the gooey flax seed mass is a wonderful moisturizer for the face, hands etc). As many times a day as possible just take 3 or 4 swigs from the jug, preferrably on an empty stomach. After 1 to 3 gallons you should be feeling much better. The other wonder cure for all things gastrointestinal is deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) chewable wafers. This is a MUST as well. Third-buy a juicer and juice carrot and apple (it might sound funny but it's delicious) , over ice it is my favorite drink in the world. and so healthy. I lost over 150 lbs juicing a pound of carrots and apples a day for almost 2 years. I would include a half a beet sometimes and other veg as well. But for pure taste carrot and granny smith apple rules. I submit that if you commit to juicing almost daily your life will most certainly change, the live enzymes you will be getting will bring you back to life. So get busy. There's much more I could tell you but I gotta drink my flax jello. take care and God bless you all.....
bman and all!,
Just wanted to let you know that YOU are on the right track!  I just got out of the hospital!  I was freaking out about having to have my gallblatter removed!  My sister and daughter begged me profusley not to take the hidascan.  The did an ultrsound, cat scan and 2 xrays and found nothing concusive. My pain today is about a 3 and I begged to be released form the hospital so I could do the flax seed drink you descrived and other remidies!  My sister and daughter were researching all night long for me and told me what I need to do!  I just started getting the pains on Monday, I never had any previous symptoms...it hit me like a brick, so I am confidant by doing these things I can heal myself...after spending 3 days in the hospital watching tv I noticed that all they play on tv are commercials for fast food....Wendys just came out with a new burger that has 3 peices of meat and 6 pieces of bacon,,,guys if you eat this ****...you will be sick!!  I am off to go boil my flax seeds....thanks again and you are right on!!!!!
I'm a new poster but found this article just posted above written by Chris Woolston, M.S. to be very helpful even though I do not agree with everything in the Action To Take sections and felt it may help some of the posters here. Good luck. Never give up your pursuit of good health!

I did not have enough space to add this info to the posting.
Chris Woolston is a health and medical writer with a master's degree in biology. He is a contributing editor at Consumer Health Interactive, and was the staff writer at Hippocrates, a magazine for physicians. He has also covered science issues for Time Inc. Health, WebMD, and the Chronicle of Higher Education. His reporting on occupational health earned him an award from the northern California Society of Professional Journalists.

The References for his article are here:
American Academy of Family Physicians. Self-care on Familydoctor.org. Abdominal pain, acute.
American Academy of Family Physicians. Self-care on Familydoctor.org. Abdominal pain, chronic
DeBanto JR et al. What could be causing chronic abdominal pain? Postgraduate Medicine. September 1999. 106(3) 141-146.
Kelso LA and M Kugelmas. Nontraumatic abdominal pain. AACN Clinical Issues. 1997. 8(3): 437-448.
Symptoms :  Intense pain in the lower right side of the abdomen, possibly starting as a vague, uncomfortable feeling around the navel. You may also have nausea, vomiting, or a slight fever.

Possible Causes: Appendicitis

Action to Take: Go to an emergency room right away.

___
Symptoms : Severe pain that starts in the upper abdomen and often spreads to the sides and the back. The pain may flare up soon after a large meal, or six to 12 hours after an episode of heavy drinking. You may also have nausea, vomiting, fever, yellowish skin, and a racing heartbeat.

Possible cause: Pancreatitis

Action to Take: Call 911 or go to an emergency room right away. Acute pancreatitis can cause shock, which may result in death if not treated quickly.
_____
Symptoms : Extremely sharp abdominal pain, perhaps with other acute symptoms.

Possible Causes:
*Pelvic inflammatory disease
*Heart attack
*Perforated stomach ulcer
*Shock, from allergy
*Diabetic emergency
*Poisoning

Action to Take: Call 911 or go to an emergency room right away.

_____
Symptoms : Pain in upper right side of abdomen; may spread to right upper back, chest, or right shoulder; nausea; vomiting; or gas.

Possible Causes: Gallstones

Action to Take: If this is your first attack, call a doctor for emergency advice. If you can't reach one, go to an emergency room. Don't eat or drink anything.

____
Symptoms : In a woman who might be pregnant: severe pain that arises suddenly in the lower right or lower left abdomen, usually without vomiting or fever.

Possible Causes: Ectopic pregnancy

Action to Take: Call the doctor for a prompt appointment. If you experience severe abdominal pain or bleeding, call 911 or go to the emergency room right away.

_____
Symptoms : Moderate to severe cramps that wax and wane, or occasional cramps that flare up after meals, and vomiting, especially if the vomit smells like stool. Other possible signs include watery or ribbon-like stools, or no stools at all.

Possible Causes: Intestinal obstruction

Action to Take: Go to the emergency room right away.

____
Symptoms : Pain or tenderness in the lower left side of the abdomen, along with fever. You may also have nausea, vomiting, chills, stomach cramps, and either constipation or diarrhea.

Possible Causes: Diverticulitis

Action to Take: See a doctor immediately. If you have sharp abdominal pain along with fever, chills, swelling, or nausea and vomiting, call 911 or go to an emergency room right away. You may have peritonitis, a life-threatening infection of the abdominal cavity.

_____
Symptoms : Chronic abdominal pain along with dark urine and yellowish skin and eyes.

Possible Causes: Viral hepatitis

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.

_____
Symptoms : Pain in the back that usually spreads under the rib cage, around the front, and into the groin.

Possible Causes: Kidney stones

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.
_____
Symptoms : Searing, stabbing pain in the upper abdomen; pain in the back between the shoulder blades; pain under the right shoulder; nausea, vomiting, and indigestion.

Possible Causes: Gallstones or an infection of the gallbladder

Action to Take: See your doctor promptly. If you also experience sweating, chills, and fever, see a doctor right away.
____
Symptoms : Chronic abdominal pain in the upper right quadrant, along with a fever, sore throat, and extreme fatigue.

Possible Causes: Mononucleosis or other viral infection

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly. In addition to taking medications, you'll need to get plenty of rest.

____
Symptoms : Bloody stools or bleeding from the rectum. In some cases, abdominal pain.

Possible Causes: Bleeding hemorrhoids, colon polyps, or (rarely) colorectal cancer. (Hemorrhoids and polyps rarely cause abdominal pain.)

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.

____
Symptoms : In a woman: dull, constant pain in the lower abdomen along with vaginal discharge and fever.

Possible Causes: Pelvic inflammatory disease

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.

_____
Symptoms : Dull, gnawing stomach pain that comes and goes. The pain is often worse when the stomach is empty and goes away after eating. You may also have indigestion, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, gas, and dark stools.

Possible Causes:
*Stomach ulcer (peptic ulcer)
*Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining)

Action to Take: Take an antacid or acetaminophen if necessary, but avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Don't drink alcohol or smoke. If pain persists or quickly comes back, see your doctor. Call 911 or go an emergency room right away if you throw up blood or anything that looks like coffee grounds; if you feel faint, chilly, or sweaty; if you have black or bloody stools, or if you feel lightheadness, as if you would faint. See a doctor right away if you have sharp back pain with ulcer symptoms.
_____
Symptoms : Frequent burning pain in the upper abdomen or chest, possibly accompanied by a sour taste in the mouth, a lump in the throat, or trouble swallowing.

Possible Causes: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

Action to Take: Suck on an antacid lozenge at the first sign of pain. Over-the-counter acid blockers can help prevent future attacks. If pain persists or quickly comes back, see your doctor. See your doctor promptly if you have trouble swallowing, especially if solid food gets stuck.

_____
Symptoms : Vague, widespread, cramp-like pain, accompanied by bloating, tiredness, gas, and occasional nausea. You may also have diarrhea, constipation, or bouts of both.

Possible Causes: Irritable bowel syndrome

Action to Take: Try cutting back on stress. Reducing fat in your diet may also help. If you have constipation, try eating more fiber and drinking more water. If problems persist, see your doctor.

_____
Symptoms : Pain in the lower abdomen. You may also have blood or mucus in your stools, fever, unexplained weight loss, skin rashes, tiredness, or joint pain.

Possible Causes: Crohn's disease (pain in the right side) or ulcerative colitis (with pain in the left side). Dysentery is also a possibility.

Action to Take: See your doctor promptly. Be sure to tell your doctor if you may be at risk for dysentery, or diarrhea containing blood, which is often caused by exposure to water contaminated by bacteria or protozoa. If diagnosed with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, you should eat nutritious meals, get plenty of rest, and cut back on stress. Avoid alcohol and aspirin.

______
Symptoms : Pressure in your upper abdomen, especially associated with heartburn.

Possible Causes: Hiatal hernia

Action to Take: Make an appointment with your doctor. You can also help yourself by avoiding large meals (especially within three hours of bedtime), raising the head of your bed by 4 to 6 inches, and not lying down for three hours after eating.
____
Symptoms : Pain in the lower abdomen, often combined with burning or stinging when urinating; yellow discharge; difficulty urinating; strong-smelling, murky, or bloody urine; and in women, pain during intercourse

Possible Causes: Urinary tract infection

Action to Take: See your doctor promptly. You can help yourself by drinking at least eight to 10 glasses of water or clear liquids a day. Some physicians advise avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and spicy foods. Don't have intercourse until you're cured.

_____
Symptoms : Stomach discomfort or bloating after drinking or eating dairy products, such as cow's milk and ice cream.

Possible Causes: Lactose intolerance

Action to Take: Avoid dairy products or take medicine to help you digest lactose.

_____
Symptoms : Bloating along with fewer than three bowel movements a week, abdominal pain, or hard, dry stools that are difficult to pass.

Possible Causes: Constipation

Action to Take: Eat a high-fiber diet, drink plenty of liquids, and walk or exercise each day if possible. If problems persist, call your doctor for advice.
Mermaid.  I have had the EXACT same symptoms as you were having with the pain under the right rib cage.  I had also had many ovarian cysts and pain from them.  My doctor also thought gall bladder problems because of the are and type of pain I was having.  An ultrasound revealed nothing. Nexium for one months helped but when I stopped, the pain gradually got to the same level again, especdially when I woke up most mornings.  

I will tell you what I did.  I found out through a friend about a chiropractor/acupunturist who does an allergy elimination type treatment.  There are a lot of quacks out there and I was very happy when I found her for my son who was having severe food allergies. When my son and subsequently other family members had such perfect results from this treamtent I let the doctor test me and found many food allergies.  Wheat, milk, vitamin C, and many others that were not as severe.  As soon as I had the treatment--24 hrs later--- I began feeling better.  I rarely have any pain in this area and when I do, I feel it is associated with something new that I have eaten that may be irritating my stomach.  The process is called N.A.E.T., named after the doctor who founded this method of treating allergies.  It not only helps food allergies, but environmental ones as well.  It is based on the fact that everything has a frequency and our bodies react to some in such a way to make us feel badly.  Some people get headaches, some get stomach and gastro disturbances and some people are chronically tired,  There are even some strange reactions like back pain.  Dr. Aileen Schulz of Fredericksburg, VA was the doctor who has helped my family Soooo greatly with this method.  I highly recommend this treatment.  It was well worth the cost to feel good and now I hardly ever get any gastro disturbances and don't need all the antacids, etc.  I hope this information helps you.  
I totally agree.  I saw a holistic practitioner when medicine failed to help me with my issues.  Im a very skeptical person but decided to try it anyway.  I felt better than I had in years.  I have close friends who use N.A.E.T testing for their childrens' allergies.  Most reputable chiro/holistic practitioners SHOULD have a free video or seminar that explains this and other techniques used at their offices.  Mine did.  Ask to see one.
To everyone experiencing pain on the right side of stomach.  You should ask for a Hepatitis panel test.  Best wishes
I am 41 years old, male, 6 feet tall, and about 80 pounds overweight.

I too have had ongoing RUQ discomfort (along with a myriad of other symptoms), off-and-on, for the past 15 months.  I also have chronic forehead/neck/back/arm clamminess and cold skin sensations, and I am much more prone to goosebumps (piloerection) than I ever used to be.  I assume this to be tied to my sympathetic nervous system/eccrine gland systems.  I have bouts of extreme fatigue, and some localized wrist joint arthralgia which has accompanied this myriad of symptoms since 'day-one'.

I have also had (off-and-on) the following intermittent symptoms:  bright red blood streaks on my stool, bright yellow or bright orange liquid on my toilet tissue, and ongoing daily forehead clamminess & skin 'coldness', Episcleritis in one eye (right side).  I would describe these symptoms as 'flare ups' of varying intensity which wax and wane.

My tests have been extensive to say the least:

* 2 abdominal CT's (about a year apart) - only consistent finding was a 'granulomatous calcified left hilar lymph node' which I've been told repeatedly, by more than one doctor, is from a childhood infection.  Apparently, many people have this radiology result.

* MRCP, MRI Liver, MRI Mesenteric Vein, MRI Abdomen (all normal)

* EUS/Endoscopic Ultrasound (a little invasive fat in the pancreas, but the Dr. was completely unconcerned - Baylor University Medical Center GI staff)

* Multiple comprehensive Liver Function Tests, multiple CBC's, 2 sets of ANCA & ANA bloodwork (for auto-immune issues), Endocrine testing, 5 HIAA urinalysis, 48 hour fecal fat, heart imaging & heart function/ treadmill testing, - ALL TESTS WERE WITHIN NORMAL PARAMETERS.

I am pretty much at my wits end.  I KNOW my body is telling me that it's sick.  So, in order to live life one day at a time, I am taking daily doses of Ativan (1 MG./per day) for anxiety, and trying to pretend my daily symptoms.

If anyone gets a diagnosis, please post it to this board.  I have been searching constantly for the past 15 months, and I empathize with everyone on this board.  This frustration is endless.

Scott in North Texas
I forgot to add that I've also had a Colonoscopy, a Hida Scan, and an Upper Endoscopy with small bowel follow through.  Only thing they found with these tests were two small internal hemorroids (hemorrhoids).  That supposedly explains the blood with the bowel movements.

-Scott
THORACIC HERNIATED DISCS CAN ALSO CAUSE THIS SYMPTOM.
A THORACIC MRI IS NECESSARY TO DETERMINE THIS.
MOST DOCTORS WILL DISMISS THIS SYMPTOM AS GI RELATED
INSTEAD OF THORACIC DUE TO THE SMALL PERCENTAGE OF
THORACIC HERNIATIONS, YET ODDLY ENOUGH THE PERCENTAGE
IS SMALL BECAUSE DOCTORS STATE THAT MOST THORACIC HERNIATIONS ARE ASYMPTOMATIC EVEN THOUGH THIS IS THE ONLY SYMPTOM THEY PRESENT PRIOR TO LOSS OF BOWEL, BLADDER AND PARALYSIS AND YET ONE OF THE CHIEF COMPLAINTS THAT PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS GET, THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PATIENTS GO UNDIAGNOSED IS ABDOMINAL PAIN!

Anyone with any helpful, insightful thoughts or information please advise me.  August 06 I had my gall bladder removed due to polyps.  The day following surgery I was in more pain than before surgery.  Repeated test were performed and everything was normal.  Last fall I saw a gastroenterologist who performed additional test and again everything was normal he then referred me to a surgeon who suggested exploratory surgerywhich I agreed to.  The surgeon in Dec. 06 found scar tissue (adhesions) on my liver where the gall bladder was removed.  6 weeks later the surgeon went in again and removed additional adhesions at the same spot.  June 07 he went in for a third time and still yet again removed adhesionsfrom the same area of my liver.  I was told by the doctor that he would spray  a substance that is supposed to prevent adhesions after my 2nd and 3rd surgeries.  I changed doctors and had a CAT scan friday but as of now I haven't gotten the results back.  For almost a month I have been having a slight amount of fever which I figure is caused by an infection.   Does any one have any suggestions as to what might be causing all of this scar tissue?
Hi all

I have had severe bloating for the last month. I only get it after eating my supper meal, which used to be around 5:30 pm...now I can't seem to eat ANYTHING after 3:30pm. My other symptoms include pain under my right ribs and occaional indigestion. There seems to be nothing that relieves the bloating, I have tried over-the-counter methods and herbal treatments to no avail. I am now starting to lose weight..which isn't the worst thing but I really can't see myself losing much more ( I am 22 year old woman, 5 ft, now 104 lbs-usually 110) I have had a complete abdominal ultrasound-it was clear. I had a mound of blood work clearing chances of preganancy,thyroid problems, glucose and regular hemoglobin. The DR has brushed it off as some form of IBS and said if it doesn't clear up within a month to come back-who knows what they'll do then that they can't do now. Anyways, any insight would be much appreciated.
Ok, well i have been vomiting and passing out with severe right side under the right rib pain for alomost the weeks.  Im in so much pain i can hardly stand it at times, i went to the dr a week after vomiting for a week and he said i had a middle ear infection gave me meds for vertigo and nuasea.  2 weeks later i went back, by then my asthma was acting which hastn in over a year, i was told i could have breathed in some of the vomit, so he sent me for an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder.  which hasnt come back yet, lastnight i was rushed to the er for the pain and breathing problems only to be told that my dpctor would have to deal with my right rib pain. and i was released after 4 breathing treatments.  I should let you all know that i already have MAJOR heart issues, i am currently on disability for irreversible heart damage i am only 28, oh by the way lastnight  my blood gluclose came back elevated.  which was quickly dismissed by the physicians assistant that was treating me. ( yea a PA not a real doctor).. so im still in pain still vomiting, still tired as all get out, i go from cold to hot in 3 seconds flat.  im tired of not knowing whats going on inside my body....

my  mom just told me the other day that gallstones run in the family.  also i was told 2 years ago that my liver was fatty and had no alcholic schrosis.  maybe thats it, i sure hope not.  
whatever it is i hope they find sooner than later, but after reading everyones post i dont hold too much hope when it comes to that....

any suggestions on test  i should ask to be done....?
I have read all comments. I developed a dull ache under my right rib cage. I've had every test by a gastroenterologist. The problem is, with going to a specialist, they only order tests in their specific field. So, then the patient returns to the family doctor, who basically has no answers either.
Who has a solution to this ongoing problem.....doctors are makin' big bucks, but don't know what's wrong with  their patients. Hellllllllllloooooooooooooooo.
A dear friend of mine has a 16 year old daughter and she has pains in her stomach from her breast plate to her belly button.....Also the doctors told her that in her upper right Quad. she has enlarged lymph nodes.....She goes to the bathroom for a long time and it really hurts her....No diarrhea though...They have ran so many test and still can't come up with a answer...Her daughter has been hurting for about a year now and is in and out of school so much... She hasn’t had a period in about 3 months…..She isn’t pregnant. She needs help….
I'm in the same boat as many: RUQ pain, not bad but annoying. Endoscopy revealed severe erosion of stomach lining.  Got put on nexium. Did nothing. Went for another scope and biopsies. H. Pylori positive. 2 rounds of treatment: amoxil and biactin. When that didn't work I got put on Levaquin and Helidac. More antibiotics ran through me than should ever run through a human being.   Finished that now, the erosions are gone, yet the pain is still there.  To put things in perspective, the first scope was jun 07, and now its Sept 22 07.  Also, my liver, pancreas and gall bladder tests are normal, though I haven't tried a HIDA scan yet.  Its definitely diet related, and at times I can keep it controlled. However, if I screw up, it will hurt for days, and be aggravated even by things that do not usually bother me.  I'm about to go see a 3rd GI specialist, and frankly can't afford it.  I've also developed a nasty milk intolerance, which is strange.  Any help or advice would be great.  And when I find the cure for whatever this i'll let you all know. I'm about to start to run some experiments . . .

I,m coping with constant sore burning pain either anoying or just plan painful which is worse under my right rib, dull ache around the back on the same side, the right side is often tender today as well, I tried to wind down with half-bottle of wine last night, I wish I had not bothered.  The pain is worse if I'm very hungry or if I drink wine, but today even drinking tea is hitting the raw spots.

When my doctor examined me she was able to make me scream, finding the bad bits. Ultra-sound on gall bladder came showed no stones. I look and feel  ill and like many others I am working full-time,finding it increasingly difficult to hide symptoms of rusing to the loo and prretending I'm not in pain or tired other times, what can I expect the doctors to try next and what can I do for myself?

Many of you are further along with test results and might be able to give me a clue as to what's wrong with me. I am a female and 43, with an under-active thyroid and on thyroxine, omeprazole and buscopan. I only rectal bleed during my period and have very sore joints.

In the UK they me to be awake for invassive tests, such as Colonoscopy and Endoscopy doing them both at the same time. I am terrifed at the thought of it.Is this normal or can I be put out?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated....

Has anyone considered celiac disease (gluten intolerance)? This seems to connect a LOT of dots for me including joint pain, TMJ, carpal tunnel, mouth canker sores, and general inflammatory problems. I also have disabling ADD and was diagnosed with anemia as a child. All of these are symptoms pointing to celiac disease, which can be corrected through eating a gluten-free diet! I will post my results later...
I forgot to mention that I have been struggling with upper right quadrant bloating/pain for over 10 years (I'm 32) and "abdominal cramping, intestinal gas, distention and bloating" is one of the big red flags.
For a while there I thought I was going crazy, thinking I'm the only one out there with the same problem. I did every test you could think of and it cost thousands and the Dr.'s said everthing is normal. I feel for all of you. I hope some day they figure it out. I quit asking my dr. about it.
By the way I'm a 47 year old female, this started 3 years ago.
I am a 46 yr old female and like all of you I have upper right quadrant pain. My pain began in June 2006 and I have been to several doctors and have had numerous CT scans, MRIs, Ultrasounds, extensive bloodwork and a liver bioposy. I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis in Aug 2006 but the doctors have repeatedly told me my pain is not caused by the hepatitis. Funny how they seem to be able to tell me what it is not, but can't tell me what it is that is causing my pain. I have been hospitalized twice in the last 6 months and still no answers.

Just wanted to say that I feel the pain each of you are having and wish I could shed more light on the situation, but I will watch this  forum and hopefully someday read a post that gives us answers!!!

I did notice that a suggestion was make to have a CA125 bloodtest run, I would also suggest having a CA19-9 blood test, much like the CA125 the test detects cancers within the gastrointestinal tract, including liver, pancreas.
Get tested for Lupus and Lyme disease they can have some of those symptoms. Kinda weird but you might as well try.
Hi, I am 27 and I have been having severe right sided abdominal pain radiating into my back for about 6 months now. When I have the attacks, I begin vomiting and have to take meds. I always have a dull pain in the area and stay really weak and short of breath. I been to the doctors and all they can tell me is that my liver enzymes are sky high. They thought it was my gallbladder so I had an upper gi, ultrasound, hida scan, cat scan and mri. Everything was normal. I could not believe it. They tell me something is wrong with my liver and that is why the blood work is so high. I was wondering if something else could cause my liver enzymes to go up. They also checked me for hepatitis and it came back normal. The Emergency room in town has seen me sooo much and sometimes a couple times a week that they are beginning to think I am faking I think. I can go weeks pain free and then it hits and I can't move, I can't breathe, I have to go to the ER for a shot to relieve the pain. It is agonizing. Now they have referred me to more specialist in the GI and liver department 3 hours away at a charity hospital. That is going to be very expensive doctor visits since I have to have alot of gas to go back and forth a few times a month. I am not looking forward to that. Please help. If you have had any of my symptoms and can give me some advice of what it could possibly be I would be soo grateful so I can ask the doctor when I go back to him. I also have horrible acid reflux and alot of wheezing since I gotten rid of double pnuemonia (pneumonia) a month before this all started. Is all this related in some way maybe? It's like the doctors are giving up because they can't find anything. I need help. I am tired of being disabled and not being able to spend the time I want with my children and I'm always having to take off work. I never know when the attack is gonna hit me but one thing I do know is that it always happens at night. Is there anything that it could be other than some kind of disease with my liver? Could stomach related problems cause elevated liver enzymes? I am in horrible pain and the doctors are beginning to think I am nuts.
I am a 36 year old female and also have URQ pain that radiates to my back accompanied by a burning, full sensation under my ribs (NO nausea, vomiting, constipation orother symptoms like that. )

They did the usual tests (Ultrasound, X-ray, Catscan, blood tests) and found nothing. They are sending me to a PT right now who thinks I strained my diaphragm which is swelling and aggravating an intercostal nerve. After visiting him and stretching I am in pain for the rest of the day and sometimes through the night. I am trying to buy into the idea that the stretching and exercise will heal this, but I am not getting better after a month of testing and 2 weeks of PT.  I intend on seeing a chirpractor after I am sure the PT is not working but wanted to give it a chance before I jump ship.

I also often feel that they  think I am either exaggerating or imagining the pain.  It is good to know I am not alone.   I appreciate all of the suggestions, to date, that I have read in this forum,  and am systematically trying each of them. Please keep posting (especially if you are cured.)

I have eliminated Splenda from my diet (after reading this forum.)  I take multivitemins, fish oil, and Gensing daily.  I am toying with the idea of starting a parasite (colon cleanse) but with all of the herbs I am already taking I am worried about herb interactions  Anyone know what herbs DON'T work well together so I can avoid mixing them?
I'm a 28 year old male. 5'11", 180lbs. Active life style (gym 3-4 times a week), balanced diet, good overall health.  I've had the Upper Right Quadrant pain for the past 3 years. It's not pain per se. It feels more like the lowest rib is stuck on something. Sometimes it feels like someone put a baloon in there but physically it doesn't look bloated at all. Also, after eating this part of the abdominal area gets crazy active. Sometimes so loud that it could be easily heard across the room. Sometimes the "pain" travels 1-3 inches down. In extreme cases it radiates to the back and then it virtually feels like I've got a baseball stuck in there. It started out very slowly. It would only hurt once in a while and then go away for a week. Then the pain started coming more often. Now it's almost non-stop.
My general doctor said it's caused by stress. Then I finally got him to send me to the specialist who after numerous blood tests, physical examination, gastroscopy with samples did not find anything. He told me to not drink any alcohol (as this was the primary suspect) for 6 months since last visit. I haven't for about 4 while it's been getting worse and worse. I'm going back soon because it's starting to afect my daylife like it hasn't ever.
I've never done any drugs, I lead an active life, watch my diet, stay away from fast food and soft drinks, I work-out at least 3-4 times a week for an hour each time lifting weights, I have never taken any prescription meds, heck I don't take any meds, not even pain killers. I supplement with calcium, magnezium, zink, whey protein, and creatine (on and off cycles). My appetite is great and no digestion issues what so ever. Stool is regular but there are times when it's pale for about a week or so once in a while.

It's surprising that with all the advancements in medical field doctors still can't find a source of something as obvious as a pain in one general area.
45yo male chronic URQ ache with simultaneous back pain. Very localized front & back, does not ever move locations. The abdominal pain is tolerable but the back pain gets to be bothersome. No pain after sleep or laying on back. Pain begins after 6 to 8 hours and remains constant until laying down for several hours.

Over the past 3 years I have had several 2 month stretches with no pain but it always returns.

Medical procedures/diagnosis:
Hit out of pocket max on insurance two years in a row, need to do some self-diagnosis.

Blood screen (unknown types) - elevated liver enzymes
Ultrasound - no visible tumors, stones etc..
CT - Misty Mesentery
CT - Misty Mesentery
Biopsy - Alll clear (liver, pancreas, mesenteric region, gall bladder)

Diagnosis - Fatty Liver, but is not know to be painful

Mesenteric diseases are generally not painful. The Dr. could not explain the Mist Mesentery in the CT but found no evidence of disease.

Things tried over 3 years with no releif:

1. No wheat
2. Low Fat
3. No coffee
4. No dairy
5. Prilosec
6. Swimming (stretch URQ and back muscles)
7. Varying amounts of water

I have had Kidney Stones and know what that feels like. This is definately not the case.

I do not generally have gas, heartburn or nausea.

HELP!!!!!!!!!
I am a 45 year old female and I have been having similar symptoms.  I have a feeling of fullness or swelling in my right quadrant just under my ribs and over the last few weeks I have frequent pains that run across my abdomen.  I know my ribs are in place because I go to a manual physical therapist bi-weekly and she checks/adjust them as necessary.  I have had my gallbladder and female organs removed.  I also was diagnosed with Graves Thyroid Disease and had my thyroid killed and am on a daily thyroid replacement regiment.  I have several food allergies and have been told that this can cause issues in the gut such as Candida and an environment in the gut that causes many digestive and intestinal issues.  I am currently on several herbal supplements and I am hoping this will help my pain and discomfort.  Thus far nothing is helping.  I am considering getting an evaluation from my Medical Doctor to rule out appendicitis.  I am also going to try the garlic treatment and will post the results.  
I am very glad to have found this blog site it helps me not feel so alone and it helps to know that there are many of us in this together.  I wish the best for all of you and pray we all receive relief soon.  
I am 25 year old female, I have also been having the same symtoms (symptoms).  Upper Right Quadrant pain, not really much pain but it is annoying feeling something there bothering.. stabbing for the past year. Comes and goes. Last year, I had a blood work, and a ultrasound everything came out fine. Nothing was wrong with my gallbladder, liver nor pancreas. I love to drink alcolhol occasionally.  The doctor told me that I had pulled a muscle and to stop lifting things over 10lbs. I stopped and the pain went away.  This year I am starting with the pain again and I am thinking because of picking up kids, babies etc. I have many nephews and nieces. Might this be the problem? Pulled a muscle? I have also noticed that when I eat fatty foods or drink alcolhol the pain starts. Please advise.
I have had the same pain for years. Had abdominal and pelvic ultra sound and CAT scan. Also had colonoscopy and a stomach scope. The only thing they found is gastritis. Doctor gave me Prevacid, but it is not working. Pain often radiates to the back. It is also aggrevated by movement which makes me wonder if it's muscle related. Family doctor also told me it could be a small tear in my abdominal wall.
hi ther i had same symptons go have a edr endoscopy done i had one and found out i have what they call barrets esophagus with high grade dysplaysia 1 step down from cancer this is at the end of my esophagus that goes into my stomach i had acid reflux which i thought wasnt so bad and always this nagging pain between my breast right on the bone there so have it done they did biopsie and found out with the EDR
Hi im 21 year old Female, when i was 19 i had a really bad episode, i was throwing up constantly i had gas constipation and diaherra (diarrhea), i felt like was going to die! i dont really remember anything else besides crying all day cuz of the pain that i was in. Anyways i went to the emergency room they did an ultrasound on my belly they said everything was "normal" and they did an Xray and that was "normal" too. They gave me pain meds and sent me out the door. So after that episode i was fine untill a year later, i kinda had the same attack again but i WASNT throwing up or had the constipation or diaherra (diarrhea), i had a little gas but that was it, Except for the really bad sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my abdomen! ughh so i stayed home and delt with the pain for a few days then it went away. Now that im 21 years old, and its back again! but supprisingly its not that bad as the last two were, just a dull ache and some sharp stinging every now and then, but the pain does come and go, i am pretty bloated too =/ , i dont understand this its so frustrating! there has to be a diagnosis for this?? im not going to the emergency any more these doctors are stupid!! and there a waste of money! im sorry... Western Medicine is useless!!... Anywho i just smashed up about 5 whole raw Garlic and mixed it with butter and spread it on pita bread and flushed it down with hot water. I really hope this Garlic stuff works!.. i have a feeling that i may have Appendicitis, all the signs lead to it, and well so does IBS i really dont know. I have a feeling that a natural Remedy can help with this, or if worse comes to worse deffinately SURGERY! ugh..

=/ Good luck everyone!

I get this pain too and I have been diagnosed with 'fatty liver' which can become irritated.  I have to treat my liver like a fragile baby or it plays up.  I believe obesity (I am about 40 lbs overweight) plays a part in this condition) as do hereditary factors.
Hi, I am 26 and male. I have had two incidences of a sharp stabbing pain in my lower right chest. It feels like its in my lung, although its not. The pain came on very suddenly both times, both in the morning and and seemed to last several hours before being generally sore for several days. The pain was very localised to an area about an inch across and was accompanied by nausia and on one accasion an intense hot flush as well as some confusion. I recently lost 2.5 stone after an unrelated operation but that was a year after the first attack. I have never weighted more than 11 stone. The pain was so bad I was on the floor twice for atleast 20 minutes and physically couldnt get up to get some cocodamol.

I just want to ask, why hasnt anybody found out what causes this. I have had ultrasound, xrays, blood tests etc and everything is normal. The major suspect is Gall stones but apparently not. I have found dozens of threads like this with reporting of undiagnosable and almost identical symptoms.
What is going on???  
I'm a 46 year old female, and I've had the upper right quadrant discomfort off and on for about 12 years now. I've been to numerous GI docs at varying intervals. Sometimes it goes away for months, but it always comes back. I too have had CT scans and blood test and colonoscopies, and everything is apparently normal. I'm going to ask about this hidascan though for the hell of it. The only other symptom I get (albeit rarely) is a slight itch directly over the sight of discomfort. Trust me, I'm a nurse and I'm as stumped as everyone else. I am glad to see that I'm not alone in this anyway. That's comforting. So is the fact that I've had it for over 12 years. I figure if it was life threatening, I'd be gone by now. There is hope folks!
For the past few years, i've had that same annoying ache, under right rib, but way inside. come and go. THEN in last 7 months I went from my normal 125-135 weight to 116 in dec. 08. It is now april of 09, And for the first time since i was ohhh 8  years old. I am 102 pounds!

I get naseous, I vomit ONLY bile (bright yellow/oj/or green in color) and foam. Nothing else comes up. it takes Soooo little for me to get full,i have next to no appetite, As I don't enjoy foods like I used too. My stomach also talks, veyr loudly. So we converse often. Ache comes and goes with no rhyme nor reason. I am tired ALL the time. I am tired of not feeling like 'me'.

The ache in the ruq, comes and goes as always....Leannadelle, your very last sentences, I have stated WORD for word!!! :)

I have had batteries of blood tests done, ul;tra, the birrium dy xrays, reg xrays, so far everything is is coming back negative. no hiv, etc etc. Normal. (i have copies of everything,I had to take to gastro) but nt clue how to decipher)

So, I saw a GI yesterday, and he said he's looking for 3 primary things. crohn's, gallbladder/stones,and malabsorbption. in  the 3 upcoming tests, an endoscopy next week, a ct scan next week, and the last week of april. I get a colonoscopy.

I am happy and yet VERY disgheartened,all at once, that so many others, are going through the same thing I am with no results!

I don't know what else to do if the endo ct, and colo, show nothing as well. I am at my wits end.

What does it take to get properly diagnosed? I don't want to keep losing weight. Nothing's change din myhabits, I walk my dog 7 miles a day, I exercise, albeit not much other than pup walking. so what gives?

exasperated In tucson

I am 38 year old female, i smoke cigaretttes, i WILL quit. I do not drink or do drugs. BUT I am
http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/upper-back-pain-a-thoracic-herniated-disc

I began having similar symptoms after injuring my back.  I went to the chiropractor and had a full alignment done and it stopped being constant.  Now if apply pressure to my thoracic vertebrae I can induce all the symptoms described above.  In may case, having identified the problem as non-organ related, I can take steps to heal the damage through use of ibuprofen, rest, core strength training, and subsequent adjustments.  I caught it early.  For those who my have had a thoracic injury for a while, it may take longer to recover.
Remember, your nervous system governs every function in your body.  Always check its functionality first before subscribing to a litany of expensive tests.  
Remember to that if you live in the US, the health care industry is a service industry, like a restaurant.  Demand customer satisfaction from your servant Doctors.  They work for you.  Don't be pushed around.
Well, at least I'm not alone...

I'll be 36 in a couple of days....female, have had my appendix out, total hysterectomy, history of pelvic inflamation (inflammation), severe daily migraines. Been dealing with RUQ pain for over 2 years. Been through the ringer with tests, including HIDA. Everything appears fine except my liver emzimes (sp?) are slightly elevated but that's because of the medications I'm on. I'm so sick and tired of the discomfort. Some treat me like a hypocondriac but when my PCP examines me, he gets to that spot and he can tell I'm telling the truth, especially where I'm in tears and sweating just after he's pushing down. He's convinced it's my gallbladder, but the specialists are just shrugging it off. Thoughts? Ughhhh! Thanks
I have this pain as well have suffered from it for 13 years now...I gave up a long time ago on trying to get it diagnosed!  Everytime I saw a doctor about it, they just shook there heads like I was making it up or they just didn't know what it was.  I have had severe gastro problems in the past. Have also been told at various stages that I suffer from IBS and most recently internal hemmorhoids.  Have tried everything and have almost given up lol... Have tried several different doctors who've all said 'um don't know!'.  
I also forgot to mention....that I have loads of tests done, bloods, endoscopy etc....the only one I haven't had is a colonoscopy.  This is because I live in New Zealand and its very hard to get public health care, but rather they want me to go privately and pay $2000(which I can't afford!) because apparently I'm not high priority!. So just slightly fed up with it all.  Just want to get on with my life but like so many others am constantly tired and have constant diarhoea with the hemorhoids.   When I had the severe gastor problems I couldn't eat and became very skinny.  I was put on several medications, one of which made me very sleepy and induced my appetite and the doctor warned me it could send my weight the other way, which it did.  I no longer take the medication THANK GOODNESS:-)  hhhmmm I think I'm in complain mode today...sorry:-(
I have a pain in my upper right abdomen right under my ribs. Its been going on for 7-8 weeks now. It started when I had a procedure done (lost a baby), but I'm not sure if that would affect my upper abdomen area. I used to work out 5 days a week after the procedure, but the pain continued to get worse so I stopped. 3 weeks of no working out and it's still there.

I had a urine and blood test - negative. Also, an ultrasound of my entire abdoment - again negative.

My symptoms include

Sharp pain in upper right abdomen under ribs toward center when I don't eat.

Sharp pain in same area when I'm more active

Bloating in stomach and seem to be gaining weight in that area.

light brown discharge - not sure if its related to this

Fever when the pain kicks in

The pain comes and goes but I feel like it can start up at any given time if I exercise or don't eat.

I really don't have the money to be getting several more tests. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

you need to have a HIDA SCAN which will give you an ejection fraction for gallbladder.trust me i have been through this as well as both of my children.none of us had gallstones and all tests came back fine except for this.This shows how well the gallblader (gallbladder) is functioning.the gallbladder can cause a host of symptoms like you are presenting with.
Hi!! I am a 26 year old female.

I have the same pain in my URQ and have done for the past 8 months. It is drivng me mad as i could sleep all day, have little or no appetiate and cant afford to lose much more and not to mention the pain! I first went to Emergency 8 months ago as this pain just appeared in my URQ i was checked over and was told it was muscle pain and sent home with pain killers. The pain didnt go away so I attended my own Doctor he took my bloods, they showed I had 3% Iron, inflammed blood levels and a few other things! He gave me Iron tablets and Omeprazle.

This didnt work so I went back and he sent me for a Scan on my URQ. They focused on my gallbladder but they said everything was fine. My own Doctor inbetween tests has given me many different tablets and courses of antibotics which havent helped.

He has since sent me for Xrays, to see a fracture specialist and for a  Spinal Thoraxic MRI all which have sent back normal results.

I am just waitng now to go for a Endoscopy and in the mean time my Doctor has given me Epilepsy tablets as he said it could be nerve endings as my pain is so near the surface.

I was also told a few years ago I have IBS and got a Colonoscopy and things done back then.

If anyone finally gets good results please post on here. I hate having this as I have had to leave my college course and i dont feel as if I get to spend enough quality time with my 5 year old daughter and when I feel like I am always grumpy.
I am a 55 year old female, and boy, after reading some 85 comments here, I feel more depressed than ever.  Moved to Florida 4 years ago from New York, and 6 months after began my spiral downward.  Developed a "wierd" feeling in my gut, which got worse over time.  Eventually saw a gastro who prescribed many tests, hydascan, CT scans, blood tests and so on, just like all of you.  I went from being 99% human dynamo, to constantly in pain.  Had gall bladder out 12/07, no change.  Had colonoscopy and endscopy in 2008 as well as an ERCP, a more involved endoscopy that measures the pressure between the liver and intestines.  (That was no fun)  No H pylori either. The wierdest symptoms are a feeling that my glands on the right side of my neck are swollen, or something is stuck in my throat.  I have developed a whooshing sound in my right ear that I KNOW is all connected to the gastric problem.  Everything is on the right side, from my ear on down seems to be in distress, like something is stuck in there, or blocked.  Sadly, all the tests so far don't show anything.  I am also wondering about parasites as they use reclaimed water for irrigating our lawns here, and my dogs have had cryptosporidium and giardia and were very sick. My 1 year old grandson had cryptosporidium in May. I have never had the diarrea (diarrhea) or weight loss associated with paracites, but an abdominal ultrasound found a cyst in my liver.  Have read that paracites can take up residence in your liver.  I have felt all along that we are all being poisoned or something.  I am creeped out, but I HAVE to get over this.  I can't imagine living like this the rest of my life.  One MD asked me if I was depressed, and I told him that if he had been ill for over 3 years he'd be depressed too!  I never went back to him.  So we are all in the same boat here, and I'm glad to know I am not alone.  Just wish there was 1 answer for all of us.  Will see the gastro again tomorrow, this one likes to trouble shoot.  Actually sits and listens to me.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I will say a prayer for all of you here.
Wow!  I'm taking comfort in numbers here.  Back in April I noticed an odd sensation that start in my pelvic area, extremely low on my right side.  It wasn't really a pain, but a burning.  It wasn't even that intense, but it was consistent.  Sometimes the feeling would radiate upwards, but stayed on the right side.  Simultaneously, my right hip started to hurt.  One night it startled me at 3 a.m. with tingling and intense burning all the way down to my toes.  Finally went to my internist.  She suggested we were dealing with 2 separate issues.  I had an internal/external pelvic ultrasound that was normal.  I went to my chiropractor, who I had been seeing weekly since January, and explained everything to him.  My hip felt better, but the sensation in the pelvic area just wouldn't go away.  I went to my gynecologist and everything there is normal.  My internist had me get a CT scan, which radiology reported that the bile ducts in my liver were slightly dilated.  Internist sent me to a gastroenterologist who said he's more concerned about my pancreas than my liver.  After viewing my scans, he determined I have "pancreatic head fullness".  I'm having an endoscopic ultrasound on Tuesday, roughly 4 weeks since I saw the specialist.  Clearly he does not see this is an emergency, but he didn't seem like it was nothing either.  He also said that the findings of the pancreas have nothing (repeat NOTHING) to do with my symptoms.  "So what about them?" I asked.  He said he'll send me to someone else once he's done checking the pancreas.  ALL blood work has been normal.  Basic CBC, liver enzymes, lipase, amylase, tumor markers, metabolic panel.  

So it seems we are all in the same boat.  Bothersome symptoms that make us feel like something could potentially be really wrong, all the while hoping and praying that there isn't anything wrong.  

Some background history on me:
I'm almost 30.  Female.  Tall and extremely thin, but I've always been that way.  Was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome fall 1998.  Controlled it through diet but am constantly dealing with a range of symptoms that go away for short amounts of time.  Those symptoms are solely GI related and are definitely made worse with stress: constipation, diarrhea, upset stomach, etc.  The new symptoms are unique to anything I've had before.

Fall 2005 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease.  No clue on how long I had it.  My test results weren't positive, but all my symptoms were consistent.  My doctor threatened to put me in the hospital or start the antibiotic therapy because my liver function kept dropping.  I have lingering symptoms, and at first I blamed these new symptoms on the Lyme.

I was under a tremendous amount of stress since 2009 started, and sadly have not had an outlet since I've been running around the clock.  I was hoping that things would calm down once I was done with school (I'm a teacher), but I've seen no change.  I've been exercising more, spending more time with friends (drastically limiting alcohol consumption, but didn't stop altogether), and in general I feel much happier with life.  But these symptoms still persist after being out of the classroom for 4 weeks.

I'll report back after I find out my endoscopy results.  Thanks for reading. :)
I am an athletic 39 yr old female who runs regularly and weight trains. I have the RUQ pain that feels as if there is something just under my ribs to the right of the zyphoid process.  The paid can be awful and radiates through to my back and at times down my right abdomen and keeps me up at night. It seems to be associated with food and especially beer.  I quit drinking because I would have spells where my abdomen would be greatly distended and I would feel nauseous, have terrible bouts with diarhea (diarrhea), sweat through my clothes and pass out. The pain makes it hard to take deep breaths and hurts to touch.  I have had my gall bladder and appendix removed so they are not the culprits. The Drs. think I might have Celiac Sprue, bloodwork came back negative but it is not 100% accurate.  I am scheduled for a liver ultrasound and an EGD to biopsy my small intestine.  The Drs. really have no idea what it is since my bloodwork came back normal.  I am also scheduling to see my chiropractor again as I had much success following my gall bladder surgery.  He cured me of severe acid reflux and suggested that I may have not had to have the gall bladder removed (backed up by multiple patient testimonials).  I find that if I eat too much or have coffee, the pain is worse.  I have found relief in deep breathing exercises to "stretch" the diaphragm in addition to back massages.  I will post results from the ultrasound and EGD as soon as I get them.  Thanks for everyones posts, glad to know I am not alone!
I have alot of these issues as well, but after reading every reply from 2006 have no more energy to type all of my symptoms and tests, I shall do it some time this month though.

Question for Sunshine 826, What are the exercises you do to stretch the diaphragm?
i am a 28 yo female. not over weight. and  presumably healthy.
i as well have been having all the same symptoms you guys have. mine started a year ago, and i played it off as a muscle problem. about 4 weeks ago, it just happened again, but i had to go to the er, prompt care, gi doctor, etc. have had numerous tests, which all came back fine. i do have gallstones, but the doctor said they arent bad enough to cause my pain. all my doctors are focusing on my gallbladder(which i know its not) and think my symptoms are strange. one doctor told me i have a mystery pain and he didnt know what to tell me. i feel like they think i am imagining all this. but i am not!!
i have noticed my flare ups happen worse when i dont eat, i do heavy lifting, activity that i bend at the waist alot, when i get stressed out and have panic attacks (i suffer from severe anxiety). mine isnt really from eating certain foods. i have gerd and a mild dairy allergy, so i have to naturally watch what i eat.
the pain is driving me insane not knowing what it is and why! i feel like i am going crazy!
i am currently on yaz, but am getting off of it because it is not helping me any with my pmdd. i also noticed the pain got really bad like this after i started taking yaz. so i dunno if that has anything to do with it or not. time will tell i guess.
ill keep you guys postedl through out this horrible journey.
I have a pain that comes and goes on my left side under my rib cage. I am really worried now because I can not even drink liquid without this hurting.
I went to the Dr. about 3 months ago and she did all the blood work possible for anything abdominal and every thing came back normal.  However, she did suggest I get a Ultrasound.  I have not done this yet because the pain comes and goes.
I notice it a lot if I am sitting for a while etc..
But now it feels like I am getting a shot in that area whenever I take even a sip of water.
Does anyone have any answers...
PLEASE HELP
Since i last posted i have had my Endoscopy which also came back fine, and am now waiting for another colonoscopy! I have now had 2 sets of steriod injections in the URQ, which helps the pain for a few weeks but after this 1 i am not allowed anymore. so hopefully i get a result from the colonoscopy because i cant cope with the pain any longer!!

I get the same everytime i visit my own doctor, he just says its a mystery and he doesnt know what it is! He said he thinks im depressed and i said to him can he blame me!

My immune system is almost none exsitsant as i have had a few colds and 3 weeks ago i ended up with swine flu!! I just feel like its never ending and i am never goin to feel better!!
I am a 30yo female suffering with URQ discomfort which I describe as a dull ache and feeling of fullness which sometimes becomes very painful and sharp at times also. It feels like a sunburn at times and other times it feels like something is poking or scraping the inside of my ribs. It can be excruciating. It started 7 mos ago and I have had a battery of tests with no answers thus far. One GI doc has written this off as IBS and tried to put me on anti-depressants. I have never been depressed and I don't have many of the classic symptoms for IBS. I feel as though this is liver-related, I pray it is not, but that is where I feel these sensations. My liver functions have been normal and after two ultrasounds and a ct scan there is no evidence of liver problems. I did have hep c, but cleared the virus after treatment in 2004. I am still neg for hep c. I have also had a thoracic MRI, 2 Chest x-rays, endoscopy, 2 hida scans, and several blood tests. I am getting the cancer screen and another u/s in the next couple of weeks. I am very curious about the possibility of liver tuberculosis since I have had a positive tb skin test, but I can't seem to get anyone to biopsy it to find out. I am also afraid to go on INH because of its toxicity to the liver just incase. Any help is appreciated. I wish some of the people who were writing here in earlier threads would check in with info. Anyway, I am going to try the garlic deal that ithurtsconstantly recommended. I'll post results.
i am as annoyed as u many people say they will get back with there results and they never do. i keep getting told mine is ibs aswell and that i am depressed!! if i get any results back i will let u know!
I also have the right side weird stuff going on, let me ask is there a spot around right front  bout 2 in down under breast that it feels tender. It feels like theres a bruise there on bone, but I have been having this for about a year
This is ruining my life and becoming an obsession. Sometimes the pain is like a stitch under my right rib and on the side without any exercise to cause it. I saw a chiropractor who specializes in nutrition today. A reflex test showed stress in my stomach, liver, colon and adrenal glands. He recommended a potion of raw apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice, cranberry juice and water as a powerful liver tonic. He also did some acupressure on my liver to flush it and gave me an adjustment. I am going back on Tuesday. I also have to send in a stool sample to another doc to check some things in my colon. I took it upon myself to make an appointment with a liver specialist 4 hours away and I have that scheduled on the 9th. Julz, has your dr prescribed you medication for IBS, if so, what was the result? Each time I took the bentyl my pain increased dramatically and I stopped it. Have you tried the anti-depressants? I think they would help me deal, because I am getting extremely anxious over this but I don't think they are the answer. My pain goes all the way around to my back in the exact location of my liver. It's frightening.
What were your results please? My symptoms are very much like yours. Thanks.
all my symptoms sound like yours! i have the stich pain also sometimes its like a stabbing pain and sometimes it feels like some1 is burning me! my pain also goes all the way round my back and up to my shoulder blade, and this is why the docs thought it was my gallbladder, but all tests show it is fine. u asked the question to some1 else about a tender spot, this is why i have been getting the steriod injections, i get it right on that tender spot, they thought i had bruised my ribs at 1st aswell but has been goin on to long now for it to b that! i am just waiting for the colonoscopy and they r goin to test for celiac disease when they r doing that, so hopefully get some result from that! i have taken many tablets for ibs but none seem to work, i still get the pain and sometimes it makes it worse! i havent taken the anti depressants as i dont want to b taking anymore tablets and i hear to many people say they get addicted to them.

It has also become an obsession in my life aswell and i hate goin on about as i think sometimes people think i am over exagerating, especially my partner who has to listen to me all the time. But its nice to come on hear and talk to people who understand wat u r goin through. Have u tried the liver tonic thing to c how that works??
During my endoscopy they found some stuff that looked like sprue but the biopsy they took was incolclusive for celiac so the blood work was ordered. Mine came back negative for celiac. I have tried eliminating wheat, red meat, fried foods... I haven't drank any alcohol, I quit smoking. I am pushing for a liver biopsy next, but I have not had a colonoscopy so let me know how that goes for sure. I also get headaches a couple times week lately and I have had some serious fatigue as well. It could be all of the stress surrounding this or it may be related. It's hard to tell anymore.
During the past three days I have upped my raw garlic intake and I have been drinking the raw apple cider concoction a couple glasses a day plus a lot of water. No change so far. Also, I have had no meat other than chicken, eggs and fish. All day after the chiropractor though I had the stabbing, twisting knife pain under ribs after each time I ate. I imagine that the stabbing pain is the gall bladder, but aftet two HIDA scans the conclusion is that mine is healthy. My fraction was 60/46 respectively, I believe. Yesterday was a headache day on top of it. I need to get to the bottom of this.
I have been to the doctors 2day and he has done blood  tests to check for celiac as he said it could b a possibility and there was no use waiting til the colonoscopy. So will have the results back for that in a few weeks. I also suffer from headaches not everyday but a few times a week and the severe fatigue is terrible, i could just sleep all day!! Over the last few days i have had terrible stomach cramps and wen i was at the docs 2day he has given me tablets for spasms as he thinks this is whats causing it! i am not sure if everything is related but as u say it is getting me down.

I have a very limited diet aswell and very little appetiate and since this pain i have lost a stone or more, i feel like i am just fading away, and its no good as i have a little girl who is almost 6 so takes alot of looking after! i will let u know how my colonoscopy goes and the results of that and hopefully if they will b of some use to u. and u can let me know how the garlic and apple cider go if u keep up with it, thanxs
My husband has a constant pain in the right quadrant of his abdomen that radiates around to the right side of the back. It is like you can point to it in the front and if your finger could reach inside of him, that is the same location of the pain in his back, right where the ribs and other major organs (pancreas, liver, kidneys and gallbladder are) He says it is always there, but it is much worst (causing severe fatigue) when he exercises, lifts weights, or exerts himself. He is very athletic, but cannot play soccer or any other sport (racquetball or tennis) without paying for it dearly with his health.  He also states that when he is bad, he can easily fall asleep. If he closes his eyes for 1-2 seconds he is sound asleep. My husband is a dump truck driver so you can see how critical this is. I have witnessed over and over again in the house when he falls asleep fast.  

He has no confidence in western medicine or doctors in the US. He is right. They are only practicing and are not trained how to diagnose properly.  He has seen 10-12 doctors.
What we know for sure is

· He has a hiatal hernia
· His liver enzymes were out of range
· He has a fatty liver (likely heredity not alcohol related) he does not drink alcohol
· He has hemorrhoids
He always has heart burn and seems to abuse heart burn medicine (Zantac 150 mg). He goes through boxes a month. And, he does not digest food properly. He takes digestive enzymes for that. He is sometimes angry and depressed due to his health condition, which makes for a difficult relationship sometimes. I am desperate, as is he, to find out what this is. Here are the symptoms:

· Constant pain in right quadrant of abdomen - under the rib cage that radiates to his back (pain worsens with exercise or exertion)
· Applied hand pressure to right quadrant abdomen induces pain
· Following exercise, weight lifting or other exertion creates onset of severe fatigue
· During this time can easily fall asleep – repeatedly
· Abdominal pain awakes him
· Following exertion severe pain and fatigue continues for 1 to 2 weeks
· Digestive problems (requiring digestive enzymes)
· Severe heart burn (requiring medicine Zantac)
· Complaints of feelings of balloon in right side of abdomen near ribs
· Constipation – irregular stool
· Anger, depression during these episodes
· Frustration with inability to pursue recreational activities
Yep, I get the headaches a couple of times a week also. I have a 3 yo and an 18 mo so it is really difficult. I don't think the garlic and apple cider is working, but I am going to keep it up a while longer. I have to wait a couple more weeks for my next appt. Hopefully I'll get some results in the meantime which I will share.
Many of my symptoms are exactly the same. The balloon is a familiar feeling and it is very frustrating when you can point to teh pain and no one can tell you what it is. I am wondering about my liver. My enzymes have not been out of range, but I think that I would it explored further. It is very depressing and difficult for spouses also. My husband doesn't know how to help me.
How was he diagnosed with fatty liver?
I cannot believe how many people have the undiagnosed problem !     I have the exact same thing, a "Tennis Ball" lodged behind the last right rib.   Has anybody ever gotten a firm diagnosis ?    
I went and had an ultrasound done of abdomen and abdominal.. They looked at liver, spleen, gallbladder, bile duct, pancreas and my kidneys even my aorta, and all was normal. My doc says it may just be something I have to live with.
I to have a feeling of pressure right under my right ribs, it comes and goes but for the most part can get very annoying.  It isn't so much of a pain but more of a pressure.  For 4 years now I have tried to get it resolved, I have also had horrible diarrhea off and on, fatigue, and headaches here and there.  CT scan, liver and gallbladder ultrasounds and blood work was all fine etc.

I finally went to an internist for a second opinion and he ran a few tests for me we had not tried yet.  Two weeks ago they got my blood work back for a check to see if it was Celiac disease.  It was positive.  I went gluten free since then and it is like night and day.  

I still get the pressure feeling but it is getting better.  They say it could take up to 2 years to completely heal but they believe it has been the cause of my problems.  Research celiac disease and see if it matches some of your symptoms, it damages your small intestines and throws a wrench in your whole digestive system.  I am really interested to see how many people may actually have Celiac from this thread.  Let me know!
I have now been for my colonoscopy and had a barium enemya and am just waiting for the results! I have the blood test done to check for celiac diesease and it also came back normal! I hate when everyone says its just something you are goin to have to live with, its ok for them to say they dont have to live with it. I have had my last steriod injection now which helps with the pain  a little but now i know once the pain is back its back. Has anyone else had any answers yet ???
i'm wondering has anyone been checked to see if they have a strained muscle or pinched nerve?
i have repeatedly asked my doctors for an mri to see if that is a possibility; but they just look at me and act like i am crazy for thinking that could happen in the RUQ location! but it seems that my problem fits a really bad strained muscle description.
i don't know. but i have had every other test that rules out most of the obvious stuff. i am just tired of this pain. its wrecking havoc on my nerves!
When i first went to the hospital they thought it was a strained muscle but they say it has been goin on to long to be that. I was at my doctor the other day and he was talking to me about Fibromyalgia. He said that it is a strong possibility as there does not seem to be anything wrong inside my body!! I am off to the hospital today so will update if i get any more results!!
I have the same problem as everyone else posting here:  upper right quadrant pain, front and back.  Has anyone considered chemtrails?
I am 49 female had Upper Quadrant Back Pain..just below the rib for a year now. had an ultrasound/found cyst in kidney/ 2 cysts in liver
urologists say cysts do not cause pain and not to do anything about it..dull ache continued and burning sometimes and pain when tired or sitting. you could just feel something there/ or even when I lye on my right side. So had an abdominal scan with dye and without
Liver cysts a little larger and lesions/ nodule 2mm in lung/nodule in breast cyst in kidney/ all in the right side
Liver surgeon said cyst are not responsible for pain , all LFT test came back normal
had me take my Prevacid twice a day and wants to do a colonoscopy
had one three years ago, fine no problem, had an endoscopy found a Hiatal hernia.. thats the prevacid once a day
saw a lung surgeon did a full lung scan...no relation but cleared the suspicion of the nodule
The pain is still there...what next? I have great insurance..do not need referrals and work in a cancer hospital... the docs that have seen me come from there and can not find anything. Had a hysterectomy in 2005 had everything taken out...due to fibroids...seen 7 specialists...this is driving me crazy...it is hurting now!
Same here. I have been dealing with this, sometimes dull, sometimes sharp pain just under the ribs for ~15years. I too have had the droll of various tests with no answers... As of now, there is no official diagnosis or testing that can be done. It is an intermittent mild inflammation of the intestinal tract that is idiopathic (no known cause).

I have found there are things that make the symptoms worse:
Stress, Fatty Food, Alcohol, Smoking, Constipation
So try to avoid these things if possible.

Once the pain has started, the only recommendation is to take it easy and take some OTC pain meds til it passes.

Hope this helps...
a med student that feels your pain (literally)
I also have experienced pain in upper right quadrant under the rib cage.  My yoga teacher asked me if I was ever diagnosed with slight curvature of the spine. Turns out I remember having had a borderline condition as a child. She told me that If your left shoulder is only degrees out it will affect the right area under your rib cage causing pain, or pinching. (Adults also can get spinal curvature  later in life.) SInce working with stretching out this area in restorative yoga classes, the pain has gone away. I also gave up tomatoes and decaf coffee and took 3 garlic pills a day. I hope this helps some of you. It's terrible to not know what's happening.
my doctor also told me to stay off tomatoes, dont know wat the reason was for that. but nuthing has happened since cumming off them
I have had the same problem for 19 years and it started when I was pregnant with my first child.  Since then it has become worse.  I already had my gallbladder removed, which needed to be removed.  I am also hypoglycemic.   I have seen too many doctors and none of them can give me an answer.  I have been told that I had an ulcer, gastritis, colitis, parasites, gallstones, enlarged uterus, IBS or possibly cancer.  (still alive after 19 years of pain so don't think it is cancer) I get the pain under my right ribs and it radiates to the back under my shoulder blade.  Sometimes I feel like there is a balloon under my ribs and if I move a certain way it actually pops.  At times the pain is so bad that I am crouched over and other times if I try to stretch to put my dishes away, I can't stretch completely.  I feel like if I do I will tear something inside or pop something.  I have also found that when I am on my feet for long periods of time, the pain is always worse and always kicks in.  I don't know if it is due to stress because it happens every time I am cooking for parties or holidays.  However, it also has happened when I walk alot during the day or am just standing for long periods of time, so I doubt it is stress.  My doctor, who is from Mexico, has been treating me with Omeprazol.  This is the same thing the doctors from the US were prescribing.  I have found that if I eat better it tends to be less painful and is not present as often.  I would love to find something that works or atleast find out exactly what I have.  I have just learned that this is something I have and can't do anything about.  I have days when the pain is sooooo severe that I have to lay down on my back and just rest.  There have also been times that I wake up in the middle of the night because of the pain.  I have also been to a chiropractor and it does not work.  I have seen a holistic doctor, again, it does not help.  I have been given some pain medications along with the Omeprazol and if I take it before I get the pain, it works.  (I know the pain will come because it will be when I know I will be on my feel all day)  When I am on my feet all day, the pain is the most severe.  I use to get it on both sides but since my gallbladder was removed, it is only on my right side.  My family has gotten use to seeing me rubbing my side and know that I am in pain but also know there is nothing I can do.  The symptoms are those of IBS and Crohn's disease.  I can only think that it is one of the two.  There is mucus and long strands of something in my stool so I try to take something that with cleanse my insides.  I get treated all the time and it works for a few weeks but always comes back.  I do not eat out very often and do not drink sodas very often since I get bladder infections with the sodas.  As for eating out, I just try to eat healthier so prefer to eat at home.  My body tells me that something is wrong but no one is able to help.  I have been through so many tests and lab works that I have given up on doctors.  
To everyone with the problem, I am sorry you are going through it.  It is something I do not wish on anyone.  Hopefully, someday, someone will finally find the problem and find a cure for it.
Good Luck to all!!
hmmm. Oh man. I started having RUQ and RLQ last Nov. stayed pretty mild untill about 6 months ago worsened. I had very light colored stool for months. went to the ER and had elevated liver enzymes VERY elevated and have since been completely normal. diagnsed with gastroenteritis. the only other abnormal lab I have had has been elevated easinophils. also completely swollen eyes. fast forward 6 months. I am a previsouly very atheletic female with one child. no previous health problems or surgeries. and I developed an entire pelvic floor prolapse including rectal prolapse. which noone seems to think is related to my abdominal pain. had a CT scan, colonoscopy, every lab test imaginable. all of it began with the right sided pain and digestive issues. no closer now to seeing what the hell caused this than before. have to have major surgery due to this and still, will be left with this pain.
My problem is similar and it has come and gone since this time last year.
The fact that it was worse after a long chest cold made me think that it might be partly muscular or diaphramatic. In my case, I have physical sensitivity to touch under the right ribs next to the breastbone.

Turns out that these symptoms are evident of a hernia or fascial damage in the abdominal wall musculature:

I found this pave which I am printing out and bringing to my doctor:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010801/431.html

Some of you may want to look at this as well.

Jgedney
that is exactly what i have been trying to tell the doctors i have been going to, and none of them will listen to me!

however, i am going to a pain treatment center this week, and i hope and pray the doctors there will listen, and take this into consideration!
well, i just saw the pain center doctor. You guys really need to go to one!!!
He said I have a nerve problem in my spine, that is causing all this pain I am in. Its the nerve between the T6 and T7 vertebrae.They are the nerves that are in between your ribs that run from your back, kinda near your shoulder blades, all the way around your side to your stomach. (hence, why most doctors think its your gallbladder, if it's not) He said the nerve is like an electrical wire that is sparking everywhere, and it is causing the muscles around that nerve to get inflamed as well.
He gave me 3 shots in that area(my back next to my spine) and i felt this shock in all the areas i have been hurting. Which he said is a good thing, cuz it helps him to  know that that is whats causing my pain.
A little bit afterwords I didn't had much pain. But the catch is, this shot may work for 4 hours or maybe longer. It's not a permanent fix.  Sooooo... I have to get an MRI of that part of my spine to see exactly what has been done to those nerves. Until they schedule me in for an MRI, I am going to have to take these nerve pills that is supposed to help rebuild the sheath/the base of the nerve/root at my spine. I don't understand exactly how that happens. I looked up this med. and it said it's a med. for people with epilepsy. So, definitely feel free to explain how that will work, i would love to know!

As of right now, the pain is slowly coming back a lil. Also, my right lung is hurting soooo bad now. Of which, I found out is an after effect of one of the shots. One of the shots was B12, to help open up the veins for the med, and it also opened my lung up/right airway as well. Which while I was there after he gave me the shot, right before I left, I passed out. They then told me that could happen due to the shot as well. So, it was one of those things, that is risky but I feel was still worth a try because of all the pain I am in. However for a brief moment/hours I was pain free and that was worth it!

Anyways, sorry this was sooo long and I will keep you guys posted the more I find out.
hi i was givin the same tablets, ones for treating epilepsy bout i found they were of no use at all!! i hope they work for u!! only thing i have found that helps the pain a bit is my steriod injections but as a was only allowed 2 and i have had them i am just back to pain relief now :(
Hi a friend of mine told me that some people exercise too much and that they develop problems with their intestines, tears them up was how he put it.

So try not too over exercise those that do?

I too started developing stomach problems wake up with a real full feeling and cannot eat much.  I am very overweight.
Will cut down on fried foods and hot spicy foods. Nothing really sounds good to eat.
Same pain here. I am a 46 yr old Female. I have Hep C for over 25 years now. ( I was told I couldnt have it that long because it wasn't discovered but since I have been clean that long I know that's when i got it) Anyway, I have had on and off episodes with my liver. Usually after eating fatty sugar stuff.  Over the past year or 2 the pain has gotten much worse.

Pain after I east almost anything. I eat a very bland diet with a little chicken and fish now and then.  I have had every test mentioned above and they all come back normal. I can't take pain meds because of my liver so I take MSM in the am and pm to try and manage it.  

Last few months pain has not been backing down though.  I dread eating.  I dread going to the Dr.   My friends and family can't understand why I am not thrilled when the tests come back fine. Maybe I am crazy. LOL.  

Going to see a nutritionist today to see about adjusting my diet and maybe to talk about the parasite thing.   My animals get parasites dosen't sound too out there to check out.

Going to have blood work done tomorrow at a health place to see what my blood can tell me and then I thought I would do the allergy test.  

Keep leaving feedback. We will figure this out.
those pills are not working for me so far either. and the pain meds have just made me really sick and i got dehydrated!!! so far the lidocaine patches are helping some. this whole ordeal just feels like i am dying. its horrible.
i have 9-year old how had h1n1, then a few days later developed a septic knee.  she has been on iv rocephin for the last 4-1/2 weeks.  she has been having upper abdominal pain right under her right ribs for the last couple weeks.  she does not have the pain between her episodes (just tenderness if pressed on), all of the episodes have been in the evening and night time.  the episodes are severe and has had vomitting with them.  we have been to the ER twice with her, they have never ran any tests, just discharged as indigestion.  finally, we had an ultrasound today.  her gall bladder was contracted.  so we came back a few hours later for another view, but it hadn't changed.  we go back in the morning for another look.  does anyone have any similar stories?
everyone here should get tested for Lyme disease esp if you have aching joints or head aches with your abdominal pain. I have lyme and have had a lot of gastrointestinal symptoms with it. I'm also planning on getting tested for intestinal parasites....
Update.  I went and had a nutritional blood analysis done at my health food store. They ***** your finger then put your blood on a slide and you get to see it on the screen.  Of course, because of my hepC , there were those cells but my blood cells were changed together (rouleau) and there were a fair amount of crystals and my iron was low. All indications that my digestion is bad and not processing protein properly so not getting enough oxygen which accounts for my low blood platlets. (hope I have all that right)
So, I started on a supplement called digest gold. I take 2 before I eat and have been doing a colon cleanse with a little extra fiber and I have not felt this good in a year!.  I still get twinges if I eat something that dosen't agree with me but overall, this is the only thing that has helped my side not hurt after eating.  

So, after tons of tests with my Doc finding nothing wrong, Seems like digestion is the issue. Hope this helps someone.
Me too. I have pain in my right and left sides below my ribcage. It's not so persistent but the pain is awful. It starts slowly then more painful. The pain sensation can be described as a pinch a very painful one. Well i was at the hospital thinking the doctors will figure out what the cause was but they said everything was normal and i needed to follow a bland diet.
Could it be systemic yeast?

I have been getting worse - the right side pain around the rib area, in the morning it radiates around to my back. In addition, bloating comes and goes. The morning pain does not go away until after coffee and the first trip to the bathroom.

Alright - I like sugar. I used to really like ice cream, but have gone cold turkey on giving that up. I've read something about clindamycin - a broad spectrum antibiotic wiping out gut bacteria indiscriminately. I took that years ago, and not really paying attention too closely, I think the bloating goes back that far. I have been eating live culture yoghurt to rebuild gut bacteria for 2 months now, but it hasn't had any effect on bloating.

I have tried Vitamin D3 in the 4-8000 IU range. We live in the north and go weeks without seeing the sun. D3 in this quantity greatly improved regularity.

I have just recently started consuming baking soda. It does help with the gas and bloating. I have been thinking about consuming it in greater quantities to see if it produces a greater positive affect.

So now I consider yeast. But what do you do about yeast?

Currently, the pain has become rather severe, so I probably need to go in, but from the looks of things I might not find anything out by doing so!

Thanks for reading, hope it helped someone.
i have the exact same pains under my rib kinda feels swollen and annoying and if u move sometimes it feels like it pops.  ive had all tests done and none of the docters can find anything either. one docter said it could be iritable bowl syndrome but who knows he basically told me to deal with it.
Wow!!  Just how many of us are out there??  I've been dealing with this nagging pain for a couple years now and they just tell me it has to be a pulled muscle.  I've had lots of tests ran to rule out liver and gallbladder and I'm really concerned about a possible hidden cancer...  However about two years ago I did have a small rash that was followed by pain in the same area and the doctor said it was probably a mild case of the Shingles since I'm over 50 and that I was lucky it was just a mild case.  So I chalk it up to the Shingles.  If you read about Shingles the pain can continue to come back again and again and it is usually brought on by stress...  Also, although Shingles usually attack older folks, it can also affect the younger crowd.  My son had a bad attack when he was 30 that required pain meds to get him through it.
WOW here we are YEARS later and all still in pain. I wonder how the original poster who started this thread is feeling?
I have the same pain, dull ache just below the rib. All tests were normal.
But after reading this thread in whole today I think I am going to see a chiro. You see, my pain only hurts on motion. When I move a certain way or twist my body, sit up out of bed, take a very deep breath. The pain does not feel very deep. It feels very tight, like I have fresh stitches there.
I bet this is muscle and nerve related and nothing to do with any organs.
I have had this pain that runs in a line from my breast bone around the bottom of my right ribs to the little floating one at the back that feels like it's been kicked, for nine months, combined with a feeling of fullness under my right ribcage.  I've been tested for ulcers, liver, pancreas and kidney problems (had gall bladder removed many years ago) and they all came back normal.  Well hip hip hooray but I've still got this and I don't know what it is!  Has anyone heard of the gall bladder surgery (huge slash, before keyhole was invented) causing adhesions that might cling onto your ribcage?
Hey, all.  I've had URQ pain for about six months and assumed it was a result of fatty liver disease induced by alcohol abuse.  I eliminated all alcohol and seemed to experience some relief, but the pain returned.  I then eliminated cafffeine, then artificial sweeteners, then dairy, then meat...and I was even about to try eliminating wheat out of fear that I may have Celiac's disease.  Before doing this, however, I bought some over-the-counter Prevacid, and I'm experiencing some relief.  I noticed a changed in the intensity of the pain after about six hours of taking the first pill, and I'm still feeling like the pain has gone from moderate to mild as of the second day.  I'll let you know how things continue to progress, as the treatment lasts 14 days.  But I would encourage people to remember that duodenal ulcers can cause upper right quadrant pain, in addition to problems related to the liver, gall bladder, and pancreas.  
Thanks for that, it's the last thing left to test for!  The most expensive (endoscopy that pokes into your duodenum!).  If I take antacids, they don't offer the prompt relief they did when I had a stomach ulcer; and tbh I don;t leave a really big gap between meals!
just had an MRI and got results back. spine and discs are fine. (which i could have told them that!) they claimed what nerves they could see seemed fine. but we would have to discuss when i go to their office on the 28th of jan. about doing a nerve test. I was under the impression that the MRI would show any nerve or muscle problems!! they told me that was not what the doc was looking for on the MRI. WTF!?!?! i am soo mad right now. this is getting ridiculous. my husband and i dont have the money to keep getting me tested on, with no results!
i am still in pain...and still know NOTHING! >: (
I have had the same problem now for about a year.  It is not really pain just feels like my ribs are pushing into my organs.  When I was pregnant with both my girls (age 22 and 24 now) they would push up under my ribs on the right side and it had that side sore to the touch by the time they were born.  This feels the same way and it seems worse if I am constipated (which seems always).  Its worse if I sit and I have to drive leaning to the left to try to stretch so it doesn't feel so uncomfortable.  I told my doctor at my last visit and he done an ultrasound to see if it was my gallbladder but it came back normal.  After reading all of your post I am scared that I will have to live with it.  I am 48 years old (female) and about 40 pounds overweight I hope someone comes up with what is wrong with all of us soon.  Good luck to you all!
I'm not sure that I even mind having to live with it if I (a) just knew what it was, and (b) could be reassured that it isn't something potentially serious that's being missed!
It's definitely getting worse and I now have really bad gas.  The noise from the length of gut that goes bottom right to top right is constant and embarrassing!
God bless the NHS.
i am off 2 the doctor again today as the other night i just dropped down in pain. if i get any updates shall post on here
I have been suffering with this same pain under my ribs for past year. My Dr has diagnosed me with Nerve damage in my neck and back. He says the pain radiates from my mid back and hits the nerve going to the front. This causes my pain in my back. You all might consider a EMG it is a nerve study that shows if you have nerve damage this is performed by a neurologist. Mine was caused by a car accident in which caused both neck an back injury
wow I too have the ruq symptom of pain.  MRI ruled out stones, appendicitis, ectopic preg. but revealed ovarian cysts.  the onset of my pain was both in my lower and upper rq radiating up and down and to the upper back.  Doc put me on birth control  4 mos agoa and I still have the same pains so I wonder if it is from cysts, although I realized bc pills may not "cure" cysts but may prevent additional formations.  Very annoyed.  I don't have insurance and don't see a point in going through more tests considering the outcome of you folks over the last 4+ years!  No diagnosis, concrete anyway.  I do want to juice, eat garlic, do a colon cleanse, go see a chiropractor and do stretching exercises after reading these posts.

I have to wonder if anyone has died from this yet, as I don't seem to see any return results sent in with promise. I have been sick for two years. (55 yrs old). I have been through all tests two or three times. Blood, shots in spine, hospital machines. Found small mass on liver...not causing pain they say. Wonderful surgeon fought for my cause without surgery...trying to find the reason. Both of us gave up for now. No gallbladdar. Feels like balloon or tennis ball. Under right rib going around to back and shoulder blade. I have had ten kidney stones two of which felt exactly like this, but no stones found. Lots of gas and bloating. Heat helps. Pain and problem comes and goes. Good days and bad days, mostly bad. Had to find new homes for my two dogs, they were my life...but too sick and weak to care for them. They derserved someone who could play with them and take them for walks. Became so tired, I could not drive and eventualy walk farther than 100 yards. Better in that way now, but still have bad weak days. Exercise does not help the pain. Doctors think I am crazy. I wonder myself. Husband is sick of hearing about it. The last doctor said it is either Neuropathy or Fibromyalgia. Could be right. It is nothing else. Also, scar tissue growing in area possible. Doctors say more and more people are finding that these types of pains unfounded seem to have something to do with nerves and or Fibromyalgia/CFS. Low doses of pain medicine and low doses of a certain antibiotic under physicians care is supposed to help. (Theory outside US medicine.) If neuropathy, then other methods would have to be used. I will be starting the regement that is to cure Fybromialgia/CFS rather than treat the symptoms. I will, like others I am sure, try to report the findings. Wish all the best.
just went to another pointless doctors visit...
anyways, i am scheduled to have an electromyography and/or nerve conduction study on my back, next month(feb.) on the 22nd. that was the soonest(if thats a word, lol) they could see me.
*sigh* i'll keep you guys posted.
I have no updates just the same old thing said. he said it sounds like gastro again but it cant b coz i am no long after having it. i think they r just goin to keep saying this. It is driving me crazy as the pain is back to the way it used to b and i am in agony again.
Am halfway through course of lansoprazole, just in case it's a duodenal ulcer.  The pain that was previously a dull gnawing ache has now become much worse, sharp and spreading across to the left.  I see that stomach pain is a side-effect of lansoprazole but it seems a bit dumb to have a cure that's worse than the original complaint!
I am sitting up at 1:00 AM...trying to NOT go to the ER. In horrible pain. But, I know they will find nothing and I will feel like a fool again. I have a sub temp all the time. And am still very worn out. I find if I lean to the left and streatch out the right side it helps like the other poster said. My friend has this and was told it was hyperplashia (can't spell it). She was told live with it. She went off pain pills and deals with it. I am going to a pain clinic soon, but they better not say I need shots in back again...as that did not work. And I told them it wouldn't. I also feel like I am dying. And frankly can't believe I lived through May and June....my two worse months of the past two years. Weather does not seem to mater. Exercise is worse. Heat helps a bit. Discouraged, as my condition is putting stress on my marriage. I can't get much done before I am in too much pain and have to lay down. So, I am lazy according to my husband...even though I make sure I have dinner ready for him every night...pain or no pain. Ha...however he hears me swearing and banging things around....because it hurts. And I wonder how hard it is for those that have to live with us in this pain. Take care.
I know EXACTLY how you feel about trying to get things done around the house. My husband helps the best he can...for now. But i can tell it is aggravating him to death though. which is making things harder for our marriage as well. I think the thing that hurt me the most is when he made a comment about, that if we found out that i may have to live with this pain, he is no longer going to help me and i'll have to deal on my own!
i end up trying to do everything anyways sometimes, and i end up getting that sharp nagging pain in my side and i have to stop as well.

i wish our loved ones could understand its actually more aggrivating for us than them!!
i feel the same, i always say 2 my partner that i wish he could feel like i feel like just for 1 day so he could understand. they think they have the hard life having to help out and listen 2 us complaining but they have no idea
That sounds very much like my symptoms.  I think mine is gallbladder problem. My granfather died from it.
I just had my EMG/NCS today. The doctor told me he knows my nerves are working fine.(once again, I could have told them that!) However, he was concerned with the readings of my muscles. I go back in 4 weeks for a follow up. I hope he will call me and tell me the results before then!!!
I'll keep you guys posted!
I am a doctor and struggling with the same kind of pain (dull RUQ pain, front and back) for last 3 years.  At first, i thought it had to be the gallbladder... But all tests came back normal, including abdominal ultrasound.  I do not know for sure what this is, but I know, in my case, it is not likely to be the liver/gallbladder/pancreas.  So what is left is the colon at hepatic flexure, which may be spastic or have issues with emptying; I noticed the pain is worse if I eat foods with more fiber and if I am bloated.  Other option is a musculosckeletal problem - such as muscle strain (but even when I reduced excersize for few weeks the pain didn't go away) or a problem with the spinal column alignement with pinched nerve or something... The reality is, there is nothing else in this part of the body that we know of and that could potentially cause the pain...  
a nurse called and read off the the emg report. i still have to talk to the doctor. but what she read was, that i have muscle weakness in my back at the place where my pain originates,
if this is the case it sounds like the trigger point(where a weak muscle agitates the nerve(s) around it, and the pain can show up in other places) problems i read about.  so i am deffinatly going to ask/talk to the doctor about that.
in which case, it can be treated with injections to rebuild the muscle.
i'll keep you guys posted!
Im 43 and been experiencing stomach pain for just a little over a month now with pain under my right rib cage that moves directly to the left rib cage with tenderness also inbetween the two. I went to my GI for the pain, and he wanted to do an endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out celiac sprue,hpylori, biopsies to rule out Eosinophilic Esophagitis. This is my second endoscopy and colonoscopy - currently I have barretts esphogus, non-active hpylori (this always stays in your body once you get it), and polyps in colon. There was a prepyloric erosion present and 2  polyps were removed from colon.  Since this on 2/1 - my stomach has still been hurting, so bad, I went to ER/was observed and an ultrasound was done. A dilation was seen on the ultrasound which required an MRI to see further  what the dilation was-i have now been diagoisned with  a u shaped choledochal cyst involving the etrahepatic bilary tree. I have no normal bile duct - Congenial birth defect that affects approx 1/100,000 people.  The MRI also shows the gallbladder walls thickening which is likely related to adenomyomatosis. No choledocholiths. No lesions on the liver, spleen, or adrenals, Kidneys enhance symmetrically, no lymphadenopathy or ascites in upper abdomen, stomach and visualized portions of small and large bowl normal in caliber. March 9th is a scheduled ERCP to view the ducts in the biliary tree that feed to the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas for a blockage.  
With the upcoming ERCP for March 9th - I am so nervous of the risks associated with such test.

Maybe this will assist you all -
ok....i posted this last night and for some reason it isnt showing up. so i will post again...

i got a diagnosis!!

i talked to the actual doctor and i have TWO PINCHED NERVES in my back. one at the t6 t7 and another at the base of my neck. who knew this was the cause of all my side pain? anyways, they say that it appears they are healing....it doesnt feel like it...but ok. they said they didnt show up on the mri because they arent as "pinched" as they were when i first started feeling this pain. so far the lidocaine patches have been wonderfulyl helping! still in pain, but MUCH tolerable now.
i'll keep you guys posted of any changes, etc.
I too have experienced RUQ discomfort for several years. I would describe it as a dull ache or pressure like a balloon under my skin or that my liver is pushing out.Definitely in the rib area. Also like a burning sensation. I also have the radiating pain to/from scapula (shoulderblade) area in back. In the front it sits right under my right breast. Sometimes its too aggravating to wear a bra. When the pain is severe in my back, it wraps around and actually creates tightness in my breast/nipple. Mamograms are always normal.
After reading all these posts I am convinced it is muscle/nerve related.
I am a decorative painter and I think the constant motion of using a paintbrush with my right arm has affected my back muscles in the scapula area. I have been diagnosed with neck problems (C5-C6) and pinched nerves, but never told it is the cause of the RUQ discomfort. I can't really call it severe pain, but it is uncomfortable and so annoying. Have also been to a chiropractor for several years and did PT for 8 weeks. Things improve but it always comes back. I am aware of it every waking moment and it is definitely affecting my quality of life.
I have had liver problems in the past. Elevated enzymes. Had a liver biopsy and several pathologists were stumped! Possible causes were fatty liver, GERD, biliary disease etc. After seeing a hepatologist for 2 years, it was finally (not conclusively) decided that I was allergic to HCTZ which was an ingredient in my blood pressure medicine Benicar. After changing meds my liver enzymes slowly dropped to normal.
I am basically in good health. I am 52 years old, have had lyme disease 7 times (my rashes have been used in studies), total hysterectomy in 2005, have a polyp in my gallbladder, but otherwise normal. I have also had shingles.
I guess I will go back to the neurologist to determine if it is nerve pain.
Hi everyone, I am a 28 year old female, who has recently had every type of labwork done, abdominal ultrasound, hida scan... nothing, oh, everything is working just fine. The pain on my right side under my ribs is still there. What more can you tell them. It is there, it hasn't changed, you haven't helped?  I told the doc I had to wait to do any more tests as my bill is racking up. I did however have to take a UA today for something unrelated, and discovered some of the abnormalities in the UA have been shown to be related to kidney infection of kidney disease. There is a kidney just below your rib cage on the right side that would cause pain if the kidney is infected or inflamed. I've just started the research on it, but if you have anything further to tell me on this... please, let me know. I've been suffering with this for about 2 years total.
What is your creatinine and BUN? if these are normal, the kidney inflammation is not likely... if you haven't had urinary tract infections, the kidney inflammation is also very unlikely
So no one for few years didn't find any answers to the problem? I assume it's not the Gallbladder because a lot of people had their removed and still in pain. I had all test and so far no answer ether ti URQ pain. Please anyone who finds anything, don't forget to post here. Would be life saving thing!
read my posts!
Had an ultrasound today, checking liver, pancreas, spleen, kidneys etc.  Nothing abnormal detected, which is nice, but I've still got the pain!  Am going down the muscular/skeletal road now.
has anyone thought about lead poisoning leading to abdominal pain?
what would we get lead poisoning from?
29 male, I have the same symptoms as a lot of the people in this thread. Been having the pain for about 14 months or so right in the URQ area. Other symptoms are fatigue, diarrhea, and fullness after eating.

Being a heavy drinker I was first concerned about my liver. Doctors did blood test/ultrasound and just slapped the IBS diagnosis on me, saying it's not my liver or gallbladder. However, a year later and the pain still persists.

Last night I ate a steak and had a 6 pack. Wow, did I end up regretting that. Went to bed in severe pain but woke up feeling okay.

About to get a 2nd opinion soon.
I am 25 and first started having these pains two years ago.  After LOTS of testing they didn't find anything... ultrasound, bloodwork for liver/cancer, CT scan, stool sample, and an MRI with contrast shots... all normal.  I've noticed the upper right abdomen pain sometimes seizes me completely with pain when I am excersizing... especially when I go running.  Which is unfortunate because I love running.  Sometimes It doesnt, I cant find a link between it and anything.  Stopped eating gluten... I even have started to suspect green tea.  I no longer have insurance so I can't follow up with it.  I am miserable though.  Another friend of mine, a man the same age, has recently developed similar symptoms... someone suggested it might be a type of Lyme disease...... we both work in the woods....  Not sure... I just hurt.
I have just been through exhaustive tests - CT scan, ultrasound, endoscopy and colonoscopy with everything normal. For a year I have had a constant pain under my right rib. aggravated whether I eat or not, whether Im sitting still or moving. However bending over to pick things up made it worse. We have narrowed it down to the rectus abdominus muscles that run along the torso under the ribs. Once you strain them they can give symptoms such as Nausea, vomiting, weight loss,Diarrhea, constipation or change in bowel habits, Pain not made better or worse by eating or bowel movements, Jaundice or other liver function test abnormalities, Bleeding or anemia, Fever. Unbelievable huh?... I am a slim, active person but have been sore for a year - not knowing how I have done this originally. The specialist has injected the area with a local anesthetic and in a couple of weeks will inject some steroids so as to stop the muscles spasming if they havent already. Hope this helps.
Pain,   lower right outside rib area, male 58yrs.  The Pain has come back.  About  20 years ago with a high stressful job the pain appeared.  Doc says liver shows some high levels, tested for Hepa - nothing found.  It eventually went away after leaving job and divorcing wife.  Re-married now for 15yrs and new best job ever for 15yrs. Now the pain is back.  In the morning not there, going to work it appears. I thought it was my love of wine and beer.  No drinking for months now, still have the pain.  Pain is mild, feels like a poke by a needle, sometimes a little burning.  After reading everyone's notes I am going to my chiropractor who practices naturalpathic ways.  If that does not work I know the beer and wine will make the pain go away. Keeping the wife and job this time!
i had the injections last year but got the local anathstetic and steriod in the same injection and it helped for a few weeks but wen i got the 2nd lot done it did not help at all and i am now left with a dent in my ribcage were the steriods have taken my fat away.
ok, well i had a follow up with my doctor and now he wants to do an mri of my neck. apparently along with the usual pain i have in my side and back i have weakness in my arm. so hes wanting to know what is pinching the nerve in my neck. i guess the first mri wasn't enough!! > : /  also, i am supposed to start physical therapy soon. i dunno how that is going to help any better than the stretches i am doing now though.

but in any case, i guess i should just be happy i know where my pain is coming from.  

i'm just tired of this crap getting dragged out...i have no more money!!!
well, i am not getting the second mri. i dont have the money. this whole thing *****.
I am really surprised to find out how many people have this same pain and that the medical field has no idea what causes it.  It seems that a study would have been performed.  I have experienced this pain for 3 years, having many tests to try and find the problem.  I even went to Duke University Hospital where they recommended that I go back to my family doctor with this.  The pain is about a 7 on a range of 1 - 10, but because I have to keep going, I try to treat it more on a 2 - 3, trying not to focus on the pain.
Hi, I too have this pain and am beginning to believe that it is related to my adrenal glands. I  have recently been diagnosed with adrenal exhaustion which creates a lot of imbalances in the body including digestive, hormonal, allergies and sugar imbalances. Doctors often don't diagnose adrenal problems unless it's serious like addisons or cushings but adrenal fatigue and exhaustion is very common. It is usually brought on by stress, fatigue or an overly active lifestyle  The best way to test your adrenals is to look into the mirror and shine a light into your eyes for 30seconds. If your pupil goes in and out a lot, the adrenals are fatigued. To help this I am taking magnesium, vitamin B and vitamin C supplements. I have also had reflux in the past and have started having a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in warm water before a meal (especially high protein or fatty foods) I have noticed the pains are worse in the afternoon when I become tired so try to have 10 minutes rest at around 3.00pm. Adrenal fatigue also increases allergies and and often causes sugar imbalances so I avoid all alcohol, sugar and processed foods. Adrenal fatigue can take between 3 months and 3 years to fix but it has been six weeks and I am beginning to feel better and when I feel the side pain coming on, I try to slow down, have a magnesium tablet, eat a small snack with a little apple cider vinegar and the pain usually eases. This website has more info on adrenal fatigue http://www.custommedicine.com.au/adrenal/
I hope this helps some of you.
I too have had pain in the upper right quadrant. May I suggest another possibility.  I've discovered that I have a place where gas accumulates and can't seem to find its way out.  If I use a gas reducer product (like Gas X or Beano) I will bulch and eventually pass gas, and the pain in the upper right quadrant reduces and/or disappears.

Gas will not show on ultra sounds, and doctors will seldom think to suggest this as a problem.  So before you have surgery or some other drastic solution experiment and see if the problem is trapped gas.  Good luck.
I have noticed that since this kicked off my guts make a hell of a lot more noise than they used and always in the same stretch (bottom right to top right).  No belching though - the gas errr... escapes the other way.  Still, all the tests are negative and I think I shall have to see a musculo-skeletal specialist next.  It's still there and the rim of the bottom of my ribs is getting worse, although not too bad.  I have a long-standing periodic problem with sciatica and that has been a lot worse since the URQ pain started.  
I have had the same thing going on for about 8 years off an on. I have had about every test. All they can find is a enlarged liver and spleen. I have been on diets to shrink my liver. However when I was smaller (155lbs) I still had the pain. I am bigger now. I am having gastric bypass to hope help with the shrinking of the liver. My doctor has touched the spot under my right side (under the ribs and just a little below) and he says it is my liver. But why? This seems to be the question that has us all puzzled. Does any one else have swelling at times there as well . When I work out it gets swollen and painful. Also I notice when I stand for long periods of time. I noticed others said it is after they eat. Mine however has a mind of its own. NO REASON what so ever. Eat or dont.
**Read below - but please look into: Mastocytosis (www.tmsforacure.org) as this might also be a cause, that is a rare but "controllable" disease.  I have yet to receive my results from this test, but will have them within the week.

I am 25/f and have had severe pain for the past two and half months. symptoms have included:
- RUQ Pain - travels through back (not to shoulder) sometimes wraps around the side.
- Excessive Sweating Bouts, generally noticed at night time
- Joint Aches/"Bone" Aches
- Have at different times had labored breathing
- Inconsistent pain associated after eating
- Severe Constipation (though severely aggravated by narcotics at one point); possible fissures
- No Fever
- Fatigue
- Loss of Appetite for periods of time/Interest in food (but still ate)
- Noticeable Bloating after eating
- Tender to touch in "gallbladder area"
- Overall Flu like Feeling without Fever
- Bouts with Nausea Vomiting

Have had:
- Blood Work
- CT Scan (2x)
- Ultra Sound
- The test with the tube down your throat (can't think of the name)
- 24 Hour Urine Catch
- X-Rays
- HIDA Scan (2x) (*you must be off narcotics for at least 24 hours)
and various other tests

**ONE POSSIBILITY: I was recently seen by a doctor at Brigham and Women's in Boston, where a GI doctor tested for: Mastocytosis (refer: http://www.tmsforacure.org/)

I am "allergic" to alcohol where I will sometimes have hives or blotchiness within minutes.  

I do not have a constant rash, but am sensitive to perfumes/dyes/lotions

That's one area I am testing, so I haven't seen that in the threads yet.  

I still have a very localized pain in RUQ, and in the past several weeks have been on everything from Zofran for Nausea, to Dilauded for Pain.  I have been off narcotics for about two weeks now, and even with "regular stools" still have terrible pain when passing stools.  

Miralax, Colace, Milk of Magnesia and the rest of them have been in use.  

I am still praying for an answer, but even with eating any type of food, like salad, or drinking Superfood by Odwalla still seem to aggravate my stomach.  It seems irrelevant what i eat, when I eat, or if i eat.  

But so far no answer.  

I have been to two chiropractors, where t6 & t7 have been adjusted, but no long term relief achieved.

Ativan (an anti-anxiety medication used for GI spasm) & Benedrayl have helped me sleep through the night.  (sp?) levakin has also provided temporary relief.

Long post - I'm sorry, I've been through the mill with drugs, doctors and alternative medicine.
-
Just a thought....(see previous post dated Feb. 26, 2010 for my symptoms) Could this be the liver swelling due to having an allergic reaction to a food/drink? The reason I throw this out there is that my symptoms had really calmed down and now I am back to drinking my beloved Lipton Diet iced tea and I've noticed that I have that swelling feeling again. Coincidence?? I will try to stop it again and see if I notice a difference. Can anyone else relate it to a food or drink?
New here.  All this sounds so familiar.  I'm just starting out, 1 month only of symptoms but literally overnight everything changed.  So far, only had stool sampling for bacterias, parasites and such.  The gassiness is crazy, especially while eating-- not just after.  Very loud bowel sounds while eating as well and for hours afterwards.   Diarrhea off and on, sometimes cramping, sometimes not.  Other symptoms that sound like gall bladder attacks, but haven't gotten that far in testing yet.  Symptoms also sound like gastric dumping syndrome, even though I haven't had gastric bypass surgery-- I know you can have it anyway.  Food moves too quickly out of your stomach or something, so insufficiently digested food hits your intestines causing extra cramping and diarrhea.  Other symptoms can be rapid heart rate, sweating, especially before or after a bowel movement.  

Anyway, will see what the next step is.  
All the tests are negative and the only one left is the endoscopy, which I'm booked in for.  If they don't find a duodenal ulcer, GP's best bet, then he concludes it's nerve damage from the gall bladder op I had 23 years ago and which hasn't given me the slightest trouble till last year!
i found out last Monday i have Fibromyalgia, i have been having an aching body and i am exhausted constantly and having all my usual problems aswell. if u have any of these symptoms i would say check it out, its worth a try.

I know you posted your question years ago but, I have the exact same symptoms which started when I was only 25 roughly. I had the same pains that you describe when ever I bend down, sit down - even when I get up again from a sitting down position.

I was examined, had an ultrasound, an Endoscopy, a few blood tests, full body CT Scan, all tests came back clear. After everything was found to be normal I was diagnosed with IBS! I don't even know what that is!

The doc said it is diagnosed with an elimination process - when everything else is ruled out IBS last possible condition. I read about IBS and the causes, anxiety, stress etc. It pin pointed emotional trauma which could be brought on by childhood abuse - which was creepy to me as thats exactly what I'd been through,, on top of that alot of other horrible things and mean people causing more stress and constant anxiety and worry. So after years of STOMACH turning knots in STOMACH, and sinking feelings in the pit of the STOMACH, it took it's toll.

I have removed myself from the other situations and only recently noticed that the symptoms have really eased, I'm sure IBS can't be cured though but my symptoms have subsided alot! I originally though gallstones, a tumour, stools, some sort of blockage??? and so curbed what I ate, I cut out wheat and meat and even ate less, the eating less helped a bit i think but didn't help much.
I've moved back home to my parents house, and alot of the stressful situations that were there before have been left behind thankfully, I noticed that the symptoms have really almost gone, I don't get pain anywhere near as often as I used to - before it was CONSTANT - everyday without fail!  Another thing is I've started eating on occasion meat (white) and bread everyday and the symptoms  are still practically gone, so I know for me it wasn't anything to do with diet - it was emotional stuff which bought on stress related illness!

If anyone is in really stressful or traumatic situations, remove yourself from them, I moved away, I think I have benefitted.
hey everyone...hmmm i really dont know where to start...i have the same exact symptoms as everyone else, the only difference is i cant afford any tests...my medicaid doesnt kick in for another month and i have had this pain for 5 months now...my bf thinks im nuts but the pain is real...sometimes i dont feel it and sometimes i wanna crawl under a rock and die...there is no specific time it gets bad...just out of the blue comes the sharp pain right under my rib cage and all i can do is sleep until it goes away...i dont even think i sleep ..i think i pass out from the pain...but other times its just dull...but sooooooo annoying...i plan on going to the doctors but im scared...im not scared of what it might  be..but more scared that they dont find anything wrong and im just gonna have to live with this...i wont....i cant....in this world we can clone things but we cant figure out a stomach pain?? really??...and the hospital was no help..i went in for stomach pain and they said i had bronchitis...wtf does that have to do with it?....im just frustrated and sometimes i feel like screaming...im becoming obsessed with this whole thing..and thats no way to live for any of us...im gonna get to the bottom of it...and i will let everyone know what happens..good luck to everyone..and just know that someone out there feels your pain..literally!!!
My son had Hep C and thinks the pain in URQ is from that but I doubt it because liver biopsy shows no cirrhosis or little liver inflammation. He had no symptoms before gall bladder removed but after the GB removed, he complains of the similar pain. I have it too, had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago. It feels like a 'glitch' just below the skin rather than deep inside. My mother who had gallbladder removed complained of right side pain too, never diagnosed.  My take is that it may be related to adhesions from the gall bladder surgery. The area is sore to pressure under the right rib cage. My son says the same. My daughter's physician missed her gallbladder attack in which she nearly died. The only way she came out of it was going on a all liquid diet. Her doctor would not do an ultrasound. Several months later she had to have her surgery.  She now has side pain too.  Gallbladder attacks are easily recognized as the worst pain you could imagine with vomiting, green bile and back pain so bad you think you are dying as it moves down the bile duct. Childbirth is easier than this. It can be serious and or fatal but most attacks subside. (Mine came after eating fried chicken) Not always clearly diagnosed by ultrasound. The gallbladder can rupture, leaving a real infection risk or death.  Not to be ignored. My doctor wanted to operate immediately but I wanted to finish semester so he gave me antibiotics and advised a very low fat diet to lower my risk of another attack.  It was still inflamed weeks later when he removed.
Suspicious that so many who have had gallbladder removed have the right upper quadrant pain isnt it?
Mystery solved.  Had the endoscopy and it is a Stromal Tumour, sitting right on the pyloric sphincter.  It explains perfectly all the symptoms (apart from the sore ribs!) and has to be removed surgically.
Well, I'm pretty sure I've been to this page in the past and I was hoping to have found more answers this go round LOL.  I'm 37y/o female, been dealing with this pain for 5 years or so.  It's actually more pain than pressure now, but still feels a lot like pressure.  Someone described having your baby's feet jammed up into your liver in utero, and that's a very good description.  I've also read 'tennis ball' jammed under the ribs, and the first time I spoke to my doc, I said almost the exact same thing.  Only I think I said 'rock'.

I haven't had such extensive testing, partly b/c of other issues and tired of feeling like a hypochondriac, I figure this doesn't seem to be life threatening and as such gets put on the back burner.

It does make me want to sit up very straight or lean to the left to 'make room'.  It does on occasion ache around to the back and it feels then like if I had a good chiro to crunch me just right, it would be alleviated.  I have no tender spots, but if I stretch or bend over double, I can 'feel' something.  I do seem to belch a lot when it's acting up, but belching doesn't make it feel better.

I had a renal artery ultrasound at one point, and as she was digging into my right side, it felt so much like the pain/pressure I often feel.  Was hoping that something would come up abnormal, but I don't know how much anatomy of the kidneys they see if they are looking for the arteries.

I have not tried eliminating anything, but since it comes and goes I have tried looking for patterns in my diet, coming up empty.  Tried to correlate it to ovarian pain (referred?), but they don't always match up.  Constipation pain...not consistent.  

I just want to reach up under my ribs and yank out that slow growing alien fetus.  Because now I get occasional twitching.  Actual physical twitching like eyelid twitching that I can feel with my hand just below the edge of my right ribs towards the middle and I just had a spell that lasted for 3 days and now the pain/pressure is back.  Just burped up my coffee and bowl of cherries.  Yeehaw.

I'll keep watching here b/c I don't even know what to ask my doctor to do.  All those expensive tests you guys have had done and for naught.  As for the cancer concern, I've actually gained 5-10 lbs in the past 5 yrs, so aside from it becoming more pain and more localized, I really don't see it as a big risk.

Beth
I am a 24 year old female. I have been suffering with this pain in my upper to middle abdomen on the right side for 6 months. I've been hospitalized 5 times in the last 4 months had about 8 CTs with contrast, abdominal x-ray series, an MRI, 2 endoscopes, 2 ultrasounds, a nuclear medicine test to check the functionality of my gall bladder, a nuclear medicine study for gastric emptying, my gall bladder removed, ovarian cysts removed. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and constipation. I still suffer every day with the pain, nausea and vomiting. The doctors have pretty much given up on me. My PCP even called in a psych consult who denied that it was psychological. I know this pain and other symptoms are real and aren't in my head. They have given me pain medications but they only make it somewhat bearable. The pain ranges from a 7 to 9 on any given day. The pain medications only get it down to 5 at best. I'm so tired of being sick. I just want a defining diagnosis and to get relief. I'm at the end of my rope. I'm fairly young but feel like I'm in my 70's pr 80's. Whatever I have is taken away all the joy from life, I'm ready to give up. Please, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to try whatever to get my life back.
Yep, me too.  Sharp pain, right side...right under rib cage.   Ever since I took lipitor.
About 8 years ago, I was promoted to plant mgr.  A very stressful first year during which I had pain in my URQ, just under my rib cage.  It always felt superficial, a burning sensation that would quickly ease if I were to gently rub it.  The pain would return and be most bothersome during the most stressful times.  After about a year, my job became somewhat less stressful and the pain went away.
Feb/March of 09 we were deciding who we would lay off and who we would keep.  It was also a very stressful time for me on issues not related to work.  The pain returned and be there almost daily.  Didn't seem to bother me at all   when relaxing, reading the paper, watching tv or sleeping.  Not tied to anything I ate.  Again, rubbing the area would provide momentary relief.  In March of 2010, I went to my Dr. and he believed as I that it is related to stress.  He probed with his hands to feel my liver and detected no swelling.  He also said it had nothing to do with my gall bladder.  As he was probing, I noticed no pain what so ever and told him so.  He told me he was not going to do any further tests, no medications, nothing!  I left there feeling relieved.  The next day, the pain was hardly noticeable.  Within 3 days I didn't have any pain (or if I did, was so mild, did not even think about it).  About a month later, it returned!  I still have a lot of stress and believe that to be the main cause.  One morning I woke up early, thinking about the pain and started to massage the area deeply (as the dr. did).  For the next 3 days there was virtually no pain again.  Occasionally, I would get the same pain sensation on my upper left side but much milder (I found comfort in this, how could I have something serious going on, on both sides?).  
I'm not saying here for sure that my problem is stress related but it certainly seems to be made worse with it.  Interesting that there seems to be a lot of similar cases over a period of years here that are difficult to diagnose.  Also, none of these cases has seemed to lead to anything terminal.  I believe it could be a nerve problem and it maybe for me that I need a back adjustment.  Good luck to all!
I hope this will help all you people with the pain under your right side that is a constant.. I have had the same problems and symptoms as a lot of you have for the last three years.. the same thing from all doctors and specialists.. after numerous CT Scans, Ultra Sounds, xrays, endoscopys and colonoscopys nothing was detected.. Well today I went to another specialist.  he told me to lay down and he pressed on my breastbone right in the middle and the pain was so severe it almost floored me.. It went right through to my back.. all he said was what I had would never  come up on any kind of scan or anything else I had.. he said It was a degenerative thing I had going on with my ribs.. I told him I have a degenerative spine and my hips were going on me also.. So now  I am going to be going to a physiotherapist for treatments.. I will let you know how they are going and if they are helping me.. after three years of constant pain, I sure hope it will help.. Good luck to all of you and I hope this will help a lot of people..
Thanks for the info at least now ill be able to sleep and deal with this Monday.
im a 10 year old girl and i am havin gbad like pinching just under the middle of my ribcage (not behind) it just comes and goes and ive only had it about 10 minutes, at first it was heart burn then i took some rolaids and it tuned into this
I have the same thing, pain under my ribs on right hand side that feels like someone is poking their finger in there, and I need to stretch to alleviate it, only that doesn't allievate it.  Had ultrasound done, endoscopy and colonoscopy and everything came back clear.  It gets worse when I run (which I love but think I may have to stop due to pain). It feels like a stitch but I know it isn't because I can get it at night time in bed, or sitting at my desk at work.  It is intermittent and a dull ache but can be sharp.  It seems to be worse when I am bloated, which happens a lot.  I seem to belch a lot more when I have the pain.  I am tired of spending money and docs coming back with nothing.  I have also been suffering from repeated UTI infections.  Is there a link? I want to solve this problem once and for all.Can anyone help me?
Similar pain and ultrasounds showed nothing for gallbladder and many other tests negative on my friend (blood work, CT scans, MRI etc.  she's late 40s and FINALLY a scope down the throat test at Duke to see the pancreatic ducts and gallbladder ducts showed the pancreatic duct clogged.

They used instruments to clear the clog and installed a stint to keep it open.  Had to replace stint 4 months in a row until it seemed to stay open on it's own.  With stint the pain was gone.

Hope that helps some of you.
Might as well add my name to this list... First experience was one week ago exactly.  I was positive it was gallstones since I matched all the symptoms and I have many close friends and family with gallstones or the removal of their gall bladder.  The only thing that was throwing me off was the tingling/numb feeling around my bottom right ribcage area.  Same results -- nothing from the ultrasound and nothing from CT scan but I was sure I was dying when I was addmitted to the ER today! Of course nothing was found and I was sent home.  Interested to look into the ducts and see if that is a possibility.  

Sorry for everyone suffering with this condition.  It gets extremely painful at times.  I will definitely keep up with this blog.
You guys might have sphicter of oddi dysfunction or gallbladder issues.  I had the same horrible pain on right side and Hida scan showed my GB was fine. Pain continued and I had another Hida Scan last yr.  MY GB was only at 23%. Got it taken out there were adhesions all over my insides from chronic inflammation of the Gallbladder. I thought this would solve my issue.  I woke up in recovery in even more pain and now it was radiating to my back severely and I felt I would pass out.  This continued for months.  I fianally had an attack of  pain so bad I was throwing up green bile and doubled over about to die.  I went to er and they dismissed the pain and sent me home.  I came right back since I was so sick.  They took my liver levels and they were over 400! I was admitted and my gastro called.  I then was told I probably have sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  It is a problem with your duct work connecting pancreas gallbladder etc.  It can be narrowed or go into spasms and the bile and pancreatic juices back up and cause the pain! Some people get elevated liver levels or dilated bile ducts during attacks and some do not.  Usually food causes attacks or having a very empty stomach. Morphine dilaudid etc can also cause attacks or make the pain worse.  Thats why I was in so much pain after GB surgery.  They had me in recovery and kept injecting morphine trying to make me better and it was making me worse. .  I did not get relief until they stopped the injections.

This is what caused my gallbladder to go bad. The backing up of the bile etc.  There is no real cure .  You can get an ercp and get your sphincter cut but sometimes the pain comes back and you have to get it again or you get worse after the procedure.  It does help a few.  It is a high risk procedure.  There is a great risk of getting acute pancreatitis from it ( which can kill you) .  
I would only go to 1 Dr.  for this procedure.  Dr Peter Cotton at MUSC in SC.  He is one of the only docs I feel is qualified enough to do ercp. Lots of places do it but they can make you worse than before or kill you so I say go to the best when this risks are this high.  I visited him and decided to take the attacks instead of getting this ercp done at the moment.  If it gets so bad that I cannot take it then I will get the procedure done.  It will not kill me to wait.
i have been haveing the same pain except mine is everytime i breath i went to the ER and they want me to have an ultrasound also i hope they find out what this is because i keep throwing up and this constent pain is killing me....anyone know what it might be???
Hi as I mentioned above you may have gallbladder issues or sod.  If the pain keeps reoccuring then ask for a hida scan to check gallbladder function.
Interesting about the duct work...I have heard a few others with similar symptoms state the same problem.  I am going to my GI on Monday and demanding answers and will ask him to look into this! Thank you for posting your 'findings' and this will hopefully help others in pain!!
I cannot believe that I have finally found a community posting with people who have had the SAME symptoms, and the SAME outcomes, which is NOTHING from doctors practically. I have had this for about 4mths now, give or take. It all seemed to start when I had gotten a UTI. I've had x-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, blood work, etc..I go in for an EGD next week. Everything always comes back "normal" but, I know that I'm not normal since the pains are very much there and intermittent. Now, I have to wonder with all of this excess radiation, what I'm looking forward to in the future  :/ I'm 31 yrs old, and although not in the best shape, it seems that it is not a factor with this particular condition. I think I'm going to try the garlic remedy that was posted in this forum and see if it helps. I'll let you know if there's any relief. Good luck to all in finding a solution to your situations, and THANK YOU for making me realize that I'm NOT a crazy hypochondriac!!! :)
Ok, so, I have to ask..how the hell did those of you who ate the 3 cloves of garlic manage to get it down?? Ugh, I could barely even hold it down..no wonder they say it's a "powerful" antibiotic. That crap burned my throat and made my eyes water, even with attempting to mask it! No relief just yet, but, maybe tomorrow? I feel even more nauseated now, and I keep burping up garlic..yuck...If I feel any relief, I will let you all know! Hope everyone is finding some sort of relief...good night to all of my fellow GI challenged internet friends.   ;)
Three years ago, I was a happy, healthy and extremely active woman. I developed left-sided abdominal discomfort and frequent urinary tract infections. Within six months, I had right-sided abdominal pain just at the far left-hand-side of my right ribcage…about 2.5“ in diameter. After many tests, procedures and surgeries including an ERCP, upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, HIDA, numerous ultrasounds, MRIs, MRCPs, CT-Scans, a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) and an Sphincterotomy, my pain continues unabated. Every report showed "findings"

I was confident and hopeful that I would get some answers and some relief. In 2008, I was in agony and had to stop working. Pain, fatigue and nausea plagued every second of every day. Other symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhea/constipation were daily struggles. Mostly, I recall laying on my bed, rolling around, bawling my eyes out, trying to find a spot where it didn't hurt so much. Then I'd have to rush to the bathroom to deal with bouts of vomiting or diarrhea. Afterward, I'd lay on the floor in the bathroom until I had the energy to get back onto my bed and start all over again. I begged God to help me and then I begged God to kill me. It was brutal. That fall, other symptoms developed including attack-type pain after meals and with any physical activity and several times sometimes without any reason.  I was listless, emotionally fatigued, irritable and impatient.  I had impaired concentration, severe lower and mid-right sided back pain, fever, faintness, dizziness, mental fog, seizures, tremors, tachycardia, severe joint and muscle pain and severely impaired balance. My arms and legs fail without warning and I began to fall and drop everything. Suddenly, I had problems with coordination, difficulty walking and standing and required the use of a cane and/or walker. My hands, wrists, forearms, feet, ankles and calve became numb unless in use and I had little manual dexterity. Insomnia was common and there are just too many other "minor" symptoms to mention. I gained 70 lbs in spite of frequent vomiting and diarrhea. I could barely walk and I was bedridden during most of 2008 and 2009.

I was falling and I started to break bones and had bruising and scarring. In 2008 and 2009, Neurologists diagnosed me with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, non-specific microangiopathic subcortical white matter lesion, Small Amplitude Tremor and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. They wondered if it was more than that and suggested that it was all related to my GI issues. Then they suspended my license. As ill as I was, I couldn't drive anyway but, living rurally, the loss of my vehicle created other issues and where I'd always been self-sufficient, I was now dependent upon others for every single aspect of my life and, along with my dignity, I lost any sense of privacy. Those few minutes of reflective time, while driving to the doctor or the pharmacy or the store, when you compile your thoughts or just relax was now gone, too. The comfort of having a vehicle at my disposal in the event of emergency was gone. I'm not complaining. The safety and security of others is paramount and, in that context, losing the privilege of driving was inconsequential. I value the lives of others and would never be able to live with myself had I caused anyone any harm. The loss, though, was akin to a loss of freedom and was more emotionally painful than you could imagine. Had there been any rural mode of transportation, life wouldn't have been so difficult. I'd begun to feel as though this illness was taking everything away from me: my health, a job I love, volunteer work, social life, continuing education, relationships, financial security, freedom, privacy and happiness. My friends stopped visiting. My family was sick of me being sick.

When you become seriously ill, YOUR world stops but the world around you continues to turn. Bills keep coming. Your parents, spouse and kids still have needs, things continue to break down and require repair...life goes on. This is not my fault. I've done nothing to deserve this. I love my life. I love my family. My faith remains. I love working. I love my job. I love my boss and I genuinely miss my co-workers. I don't drink or engage in any illicit activities or use non-prescription drugs or other medication. This hit me from out of the blue. I'm now 44 years old.

Wait-time periods to see doctors continue to be long. Equipment such as endoscopic ultrasound machines are reserved for persons with life-threatening illnesses, which is as it should be. Yet a small percentage of these scans could be allotted for diagnostic purposes, as well. How can one know if their illness is life-threatening if the only opportunity for diagnosis is through an endoscopic ultrasound? Catch-22 at it's finest. My Primary Care Physician sent out dozens of requests for a referral and all of them were denied due to catchment area. Thankfully, my Doctor has known me for over 20 years. She knew me before and has seen firsthand how active, happy, secure and healthy I'd been before this. She's watched my deterioration and it's frightening her. Even my Neurologist is deeply concerned and tried to ask friends and other doctors from Medical School if they would see me.

It's 2010 now. My Doctor has put me on Fentanyl, which is a transdermal pain patch. It bypasses digestion and has dramatically helped my pain, nausea and vomiting. I still require large amounts of breakthrough medications. I've been able to walk once in a while with the use of a walker and it's awesome to get out and about when I feel up to it.

It sure seems to me like there are a lot of us going through this. It also seems to me that too many of us are being written off as being incurable. My blood tests are usually normal. My common bile duct is sometimes grossly dilated, sometimes normal. My GI did a sphincterotomy in 2009 and, since that should have cured me, he has nothing else to offer and refuses to see me again. All of the clinical notes and reports show "findings", so they know I'm not making things up or exaggerating my symptoms. Something is going on with us! If 30% of those with right-sided abdominal pain/discomfort remain undiagnosed, why?

These are the things that I can share that might help you:
DON'T GIVE UP!
Document everything.
Get copies of every report, record or clinical note. If there are errors, make them known.
Find support groups and reach out and get support from friends, family, church and community groups.
Do your own research! Learn as much as you can about how your body works!
Keep a food, symptoms and medication journal! Look for patterns and cause/effect relationships!
Get printed transcripts from your pharmacy twice a year.
Try digestive enzymes.
Try a LOW-fat diet.

Sometimes just knowing that you're not alone is a comfort. None of this is meant as advice. I'm not a doctor. I know nothing about medicine. I just know what I've gone through.

God bless and Godspeed,

Sam
Viewing 1-200 comments: