Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs
I too have upper right quad pain just below my ribs. I am a male, 46yrs old 6ft and weigh 175 lbs. My pain comes and goes and has for about 6 months. It is not severe pain, but at times is more annoying than anything. It feels like there is something in there pinching me. I went to an internal med MD in July. He ran blood tests that all came back fine. He sent me to have an abdominal ultrasound which showed only "healthy" organs. No dilated bile duct, no gall stones, liver enzymes were in normal range. It is 4 months later and the pain is still happening. When I sit, or bend at the waist, I can feel the pain. It is not a deep, internal pain, but seems close to the surface, just to the right of that little cartlidge/bone that splits the rib cage...just to the right of the stomach. What the heck could it be? My MD put me on Nexium, thinking maybe it is peptic in nature, but 60 days of Nexium and still the pain persists. I am freaking out because my dad passed away this past March due to a rare appendix cancer (pseudomixoma peritonei) that several MD's could not find, nor diagnose properly once they found it, another story in itself...so you know how the paranoia sets in. I don't have a lot of faith in MD's right now. Anyone out there have any input? Can the liver be screwed up for this long and still avoid being detected? Can inflamation be detected by ultrasound? It feels like it's burning, not like heartburn, but a firey sensation...hard to describe. Someone, please help me settle my fly away brain...thanks.
I too have been having pain almost oj my side below my righr rib cage. My doctor tested for H-Pylori, which came back positive. My doctor started me on two different antibiotics which after the first week made my pain subside. I finished the antibiotic and a few days went by and the pain came back. I am following up with primary care for further treatment.
This will be a really long post but if I knew this when I first became sick, it would have saved me a lot of grief.  I hope someone gets some use out of it.  Just remember that I'm not a doctor and I know jack about medicine.  

The first step is to know how your digestive system works.  In my humble opinion, the "First Principles of Gastroenterology" is the best resource:  http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/en/Default.htm.  If the link is gone, check out gastroresource ******* and look for the GI Textbook.  

Most of us question whether we have SOD or Pancreatitis.  Even though many doctors think these are rare illnesses, they are becomming more and more common!  The pancreas can be damaged every single time we have pain.  Imagine a little, tiny scar forming on your pancreas whenever you have an attack.  The pancreas is a very unforgiving organ.  It doesn't heal, so you really need to minimize attacks if you can.  I've been told that an excellent way to do that is by taking pancreatic enzymes.  Many Docs prescribe these automatically when you have pancreatitis or SOD.  Others aren't even aware of them.  They can be purchased at health food stores, too, if you can't get a prescription but make sure the ONLY ingredients are amylase, lipase and protease.  Some contain acids, too, and that's bad news.  There are many types of enzymes on the market and they are not all created equal.  Some are sustained-action enzymes, some are immediate-release enzymes.  Not only do you have to find the right enzyme(s) for you but you need to find the right dosages at the right times.  I have a ton of links about enzymes, write me for them if you need them.  In some cases, the enzymes reduce scar tissue from building up and seriously damaging your pancreas.  

Food is a serious factor, so a journal tracking everything that goes into or comes out of your body is a great way to can track things that potentially cause problems.  It's useful to track foods, beverages, medicines and/or activities because they all count.  

Almost everyone go through a period when they don't know what is wrong with them.  It's common to doubt your symptoms or your sanity.  If you have always been a very sane, capable and honest person who doesn't overstate your symptoms, it definitely isn't psychosomatic.  It's physical, it's real and it's devastating.  

Many of us are undiagnosed or have been misdiagnosed.  A label of Irritable Bowel Syndrome [IBS] or Irritable Bowel Disease [IBD] is the most common cop-out.  It's true that we may have more than one health issue, so maybe an IBS/IBD diagnosis is warranted.  Usually it's a Gastroenterologist's way of saying, 'I don't know what's wrong.  It's idiopathic and the symptoms fit the IBS/IBD category."  

When you are suffering so severely for such a long period of time, it's not uncommon to become malnourished or for your immune system to be compromised.  When that happens, it opens a gateway for many other syndromes/diseases to grab a foothold.  Remember that more than one thing can be wrong with you, so don't dismiss something because your symptoms won't fit neatly into a specific category.  Consider everything.

Personal support systems are fragile.  People get tired of hearing about and/or talking about illness.  For me, my illness is my whole life now but others expect me to get on with it or get over it.  Many people assume - or take for granted - that I would have recovered by now.   When they learn that I haven't, they have limited their contact or removed themselves from my life.  You may even find that your spouse, siblings or parents aren't as supportive as they once were.  It hurts but it's basic human nature.  

Please read the "spoon theory".  It is incredibly helpful and a MUST-READ for everyone: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf.  This is a great site, in general.  If the link is blocked out, search for "But You Don't Look Sick" and find the "Spoon Theory."  Read it, copy it and remember it!

Forums that are really helpful.  They are no-charge forums, similar to this one and they offer a wealth of information.  Research articles plus information and/or support from others who are going through the same things we are now really makes a difference.  For me, it was really useful to hear about tests from others who had already been there.  If you visit Yahoo Groups and search for "Sphincter of Oddi", "Undiagnosed| or "Pancreatitis", you'll come up with a list of suitable groups.  After that, it's just a matter of choosing which one seems to suit you best.  Also, www dot top5plus5 ******* is an amazing resource and I have permission to share the site but MedHelp sometimes blocks it out.  Feel free to message me if you need other links.  

In my humble opinion, the best we can hope for (right now) is to manage our symptoms as best we can, recognize and embrace our limitations and keep fighting for diagnosis(es) and plan(s) of action that will help us get well and get on with our lives.  Whether or not we can resume our old lives is something else entirely.  You'll find your own way and your own coping mechanisms.  My attitude is the only thing I can control right now, I try to stay as positive and helpful as I possibly can and I try to limit my neediness so as not to be a huge burden on those I love.  Even at that, I sometimes get blue and isolate myself for a while.  

It is so helpful if you have someone who can advocate for you and attend medical appointments.  Choose carefully because you need someone you can count on and it's best if they don't have to take time off work, if at all possible.  It's also helpful to request any reports or test results AS they are conducted.  Easier to ask for one report than 20 or 30 and Docs are less likely to charge you for one report.

All the best to you and yours!  Take care of yourselves and each other,

Sam  
I have lost 50ibs since December with Stomach/Digestive issues. It has been a nightmare. I am on my second Gastro Doctor begging for someone to help me. What sent me to the Dr was pain as soon as food begins to digest right under my ribs to the top part of my belly. It feels like I am so full/or intense pressure.. very painful. Another issue was Floating stool. I never have had floating stool but since Feb of this year it floats. I can not eat fatty foods everything comes right back out.. my stool is very greezy little less the pain of eating fatty foods. Spicy Foods are out of the question, no salads.. really lots of foods do not settle. My Lipase levels have been elevated by 10 - 20 points since March. At first the Dr told me I had pancratitis then after 8 weeks and a MRI and Endoscope with a camera they decided it wasnt pancreatits however could not tell me why my lipase levels remain elevated. They did find 2 small stones in my galbladder however it is 80% working so during a surgeon consultation he felt that the Galbladder was not my issue. I have a Great Aunt with similar issues that was diagnosed with Celiac Desease.. I have had a blood test for this.. however it came back negative. I have been tested for Chrons, IBS, IBD etc all negative. I do take medicine for IBS because it helps to calm the cramping in my stomach.
My second Endoscope concluded I have Gastritis, Barrets Esophagus and a hiatus hernia at the top of my stomach however the my Gastro DR doesnt think this is causing the weight loss, pain and symphoms. I go for my second surgeon consultation Monday. This Surgeon wants to see my MRI and CT films so I hope he may notice something that can help me. I am desperate to gain weight again and be normal. I know what it is like to not have answers. I am so tired of people asking me about my weight. I am a 5.5' female and currently weigh 116ibs.. I look too thin and frail compareed to the way everyone is use to seeing me. I just want to be healthy and regain energy so i can play with my children. So for all those that do not have an answer.. over $3K in testing and I am still searching for answers.
I have been dealing with URQ pain for years and have had every test under the sun done except a pressure test on a muscle in the pancreas, only because that ran a 20% risk of becoming very ill.  My doctors were not treating my pain since they couldnt find what was wrong so there must not really be anything.  I finally went to my family doctor and told her I couldnt afford to go to the er anymore and I couldnt deal with this constant pain so she referred me to a pain management doctor.  My first visit after talking to him and him feeling my URQ he said I had tendinitis in my diaphragm.  I received a steroid shot right into the tendon there and have not had an attack that has sent me to the er since. I still have pain so I do still have shots every few months but it is getting better, I figure I have had this for years so it probably wont go away within 3 months but so far so good and I now have hope for a full recovery
I'm so happy to hear that your suffering has lessened.  It's so difficult to be undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.  There seem to be SO many of us and someone should really, seriously investigate this.  Even if only 5% of us have legitimate issues, that's tens of thousands of peoples suffering from undiagnosed RUQ/URQ pain.  Hopefully your post will offer new avenues of investigation to others who are suffering!  Thank you!  I wish you a complete and permanent recovery!  All the best to you and yours.  Take care of yourselves and each other,
Sam
How was the shot. Like a cortisone shot?   I have had  URQ pain for  3 years.   all tests clear on liver, gall bladder ,kidney, ovaries.   Have some IBS. I had shingles before this pain started. I am amazed so many people have this and that it remains undiagnosed. I had no idea. I have always been healthy and never sick m  Has the liver cleansing helped anyone..  Is this muscular? I do have hernia in mid center but dr says no connection.  
OMG, this is insane.  I've been bothered with very similar complaints for the past3 months.  It started as mild discomfort on the right side and then intensified and began including lower middle abdominal pains, stomach/bowel problems, etc.  The RUQ is always there, and most uncomfortable early evenings as I'm sitting down watching TV or reading, then improves when I lay down in bed.
I don't think I can name all the tests my MD's have put me through... 3 CT scans, 2 ultrasounds, several blood tests, 2 abdominal xrays, urine test, 2 digital rectal exams, HIDA scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy... all results coming back "normal" or no problems found!  the other day I had an MR Angiogram of the stomach/abdomen and am awaiting results.
I'm at wits end and getting desperate!
Hi:
I'm so sorry you are suffering.  I posted some notes above that might help.  Seriously, logging your intake/outtake and symptoms helps find patterns and I've heard that enzymes can sometimes eliminate the pain.  Vist top five plus five ******* for some really great information and an excellent forum, even if you are undiagnosed.  Hopefully your GI will stick with you until you find an answer but for many of us, once the testing is completed, that's the end of their involvement and it makes it impossible to find someone else in the field to start again.  You might want to check out minimal change chronic pancreatitis and sphincter of oddi dysfunction.
Hang in there and all the best to you and yours,
Sam
I have the same type of RUQ pain, and its been going on for past month.  I am an otherwise healthy 30 yr old male.  Internal Medicine doctor immediately thought is was gallstones/sludge given location and type of pain.  In addition to blood work internal medicine doctor ordered Ultrasound and CT Scan, both of which were "unremarkable" (i.e. normal).  He then sent me to a GI doctor who ordered more blood work, and an Endoscopy, and then subsequently a MRCP, all of which again were completely normal.  GI doctor said that other than a HIDA scan there isn't really anything more he can do.  GI doctor just told me to take 600-800mg of Ibuprofen 3 times per day for a week (with prilosec to protect stomach), and "see what happens".  Has anyone tried this?  He said to only bother with the HIDA scan if the anti-inflammatory routine doesnt work.

I was really worried that this was liver disease and/or pancreatitis.  GI doctor says that based on ultrasound, CT scan, endoscopy and MRCP, there is no way that this abdominal pain is related to liver disease and/or pancreatitis.  My job requires a lot of travel and entertaining (i.e. social drinking).  GI doctor said that there is "no risk" from social drinking, and I am safe to get back to "work".  Does this sound right?  Is there anyway that all four tests and blood work missed liver disease and/or pancreatitis?

I'm so sorry you're going through this, too.  I sincerely hope the meds he prescribed work.  The lengths you've gone to, going through all those tests and seeing an IM, you must really be hurting.  If you're still hurting and if the HIDA comes back "normal", perhaps you could see a GI who knows about the pancreas.  Tests are often "normal" with many diseases.  The HIDA will let you know if your gallbladder is functioning well.  If the ejection fraction rate between 35% and 79% is usually considered normal; below 35% is possibly not functioning or diseased and over 80% could be hypokinetic.  

Your symptoms could be SO many things including sludge/stones/dilation in the common bile duct, IBS, gallbladder/gallstone problems, IBD, Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction, Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth, acute pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, autoimmune pancreatitis, Celiac, minimal change chronic pancreatitis, etc.  If they don't find textbook symptoms or if the "usual" cures don't work, people are often "written off" as drug- or attention-seeking, especially when the results of the tests are "normal".  It's tragic because I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather be out living their life than existing in agony, waiting for answers.

D\iet often helps.  A low-fat diet without anything fried is a great start.  Keep a detailed log of all your intake and output and look for patterns with your pain.  One thing that sometimes helps some people is pancreatic enzymes, as I mentioned above.  Something you can talk to your doctor about.

Check out the GI Textbook link above.  You might find some information there that helps.  

I wish you all the best and hope you recover quickly.

Sam
I read your profile and it sounds exactly what I am dealng with. Pressure in stomach/top part of my stomach, floating stool, fullness after eating very little, RUQ pain.  I have had an Endoscope with camera, HIDA scan, many blood tests all of which come back normal.  I have lost a lot of weight as well.  I am scheduled for a CT scan and from there, I just don't know.  I feel for you as I know how hard this is to keep trying to figure out what is wrong.  My symptoms started 3 months ago out of the clear blue.  I do have Gallbladder stones, but my GI doctor said they are not in the bile ducts and therefore, he doesn't always recomment taking out the Gallbladder.  Yet I've read and talked with people who had their Gallbladder out and did fine and yet when I read this forum, so many experience the exact opposite.  It so hard to know what is the right thing to do.  Once it's out there is no turning back.  For now, I'm not planning on taking my Gallbladder out, since all tests keep coming back normal.  However, like you, something is wrong, and doctors don't seem to want to keep on going once the basic tests are ran.  Maybe if they read these forums, some doctors would follow through and realize there is a growing problem out here and more research needs to be done. Keep on searching and don't give up.  I wish you the absolute best and hopefully you will find help.  Take care.  

Bobbiedee
Does anyone know to what extent RUQ abdominal pain can be caused by a pinched nerve or something similar?  How would such a problem be diagnosed?

My GI doctor asserts that I do not have any gastrointestinal problems despite the fact that location of pain, which makes sense that I have no digestive issues, and that blood tests, ultrasound, CT scan, endoscopy and MRCP didn't show any issues.

What other causes should be considered?
I'm not a believer in misery-loves-company, but it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one... Just have not experienced it as long. RUQ pain has probably been off and on for awhile (but chalked up to previous diagnosis of IBS). Fat Malabsorption started suddenly over labor day weekend. First thought was that it was just stress related to moving, new city, new job, but had to cancel an international business trip two weeks ago to come back because the malabsorption symptoms were scaring me.

Seeing an internal medicine doctor. What I like is he is being very systematic about finding out what is wrong... (didn't jump to IBS, celiac disease, etc).  So, we will see where it goes. So far, slightly elevated Lipase levels (50-90, he said 500 would start worrying him, but we will watch in case it fluctuates and this is a down point.)... H. Pylori infection (proteins show it's been there for over 4 weeks) - This is the fun one, because not enough is known about what all it can affect and so many people have it without issues. It seems to have a relationship to a number of different intestinal issues though (gastritis, pancreatitis, gallsotones, etc). His position is it could definitely cause the RUQ pain and the malabsorption, so we need to kill it off to rule it out and then move forward from that point. Taking the priolosec/antibiotic regimen, now.

The "something else" in my situation was  that CT scan showed an enlarged appendix. Not acute appendicitis. Could have been chronic, could have been nothing. Because I have had periodic (minor) RLQ pain, I opted to have it removed because I know I would be worrying forevermore at every twinge. Doc has researched and found some research showing appendicitis patients with known H. Pylori do have H. Pylori in infected appendix. So, this may have been another causal relationship. Pathology of my appendix did show chronic appendicitis. This is a very rare situation and Dr. feels it may share cause but would not cause any of the issues of the malabsorption or RUQ pain. So, no rushing out for appendix removal recommended.

I'll be done with antibiotic regimen this week. Coupled with abdominal surgery & the pain meds for a week, my intestines probably don't know which way is up. Malabsorption continues (lost 20# since labor day). Surgeon did a look-around during appendectomy, and noticed some scarring on gall bladder. I guess ultrasound will be next.

*Hoping* for some resolution in the future. The weight loss is scaring me.
Just found this blog.  I had my initial Dr visit for severe pain in upper right back and just under rib cage right side.  Nausea and undr fever and also a huge headache.  Urine was ok, waiting for blood work.  I suspected gallbladder but Dr. says it doesnt seem like pain is in right place.  Also the headache is throwing her.  I have re occuring bouts with Herpes II which is like cold sores.  The headache feels like herpes but I am having no outbreaks.. I have had one out break of shingles about 4 years ago.  I am wondering if there could be a connection with this virus as it lives in our spine and could it be effecting nerves.  My pain is in the back and radiates to to front rib base.    Sorry to hear you are all so in suffering.  Has anyone done the Andreas Moritz gallbladder/liver cleanse.  It seems a bit drastic.
Looks like you and I are having very similar symptoms.  I want to explore further if my pain is a result of a "trigger point".  I read your past posts, and I wanted to see if you have had success with your "trigger point" treatment?
Just went for ultrasound this a.m. for upper right abdominal pain (under rib cage) but it moves around.  Severe pain is sporadic. Constant underlying dull ache remains and area is tender to the touch.  

I was diagnosed 10 years ago with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, peripheral neuropathy, degenerative disc disease and a couple other things I can't even think of right now.  I am on several medications and have adjusted to the chronic pain over time so often wonder if I don't notice new pain right away because it is masked.  That worries me because now I don't know if I might have waited too long to go to doctor about this problem.

Naturally, the technician who did the ultrasound said she couldn't tell me anything but the test would be read by a radiologist and he would "decide how to interpret the results"?  That sounded a bit ominous to me and now I probably have to wait the week-end to hear anything.  I am sticking by the phone though but in the meantime decided to look up my symptoms on Web MD.  Found this forum and did some reading about the rest of you.  Decided to ask if anyone else out there has any of the diagnoses that I do.  Any of you have the same concerns about masked pain due to other illnesses?  I am thoroughly upset over what this could be and know stress adds to any problem.  Just comforted to a degree to know I'm not the only one going through this but at the same time, not looking forward to 'months or years' of not knowing like some of you.  Don't know if I can handle that if it turns out that way. Hoping for good results for all of us.  Thanks.
I'm 58 and female. Having persistent pain in right hand side, radiates round to the back. Had the same thing on the left hand side for a number of years which seemed to be stress related as it was soon after my son died.It's driving me mad!
Nina
I have had URQ pain for years.  The doc told me I had cysts and that they do not address them unless I am bithered enogh to ask for them to be removed.  I do notice that I am quite uncomfotable in pain for days if I irritate the area, like when I reach into to washmachine to get clothes out, that part of my ribcage presses on the rim and I guess inflammes the cysts.  I have a young cousin who was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and while my symptoms are just pain, it has really scared me too think of the possibilities as I have no insurance and have not had this checked in a long time.  It hads been a few years in total though and comes and goes.  Sometimes it is quite painful and keeps me up, but I can usually think to something I did to irritate it.  I am grateful to hear I am not the only one and that there are other things it could be that are not life threatening.  Thanks for sharing your stories.
I suffer similar symptoms to the members posting in this group.  It's been two years of tests and everything "organ" related has been ruled out.  I was given a label of IBS but I didn't feel that really fit since my #2's are very normal and regular and the discomfort is so isolated to the RUQ.  I also find a hot compress placed in the area helps relieve the discomfort.

I finally went to my chiropractor this past Friday and he examined me.  He is very sure given my description of the issue that I have what he called abdominal trigger points and maybe even abdominal adhesions.  He recommended trying Aleve, continuing the hot compresses (adding cold compresses too), daily stretches of the area, and a really good massage therapist that specializes in trigger points.  I will make an appointment right away for the massage therapist and see if he/she can help.

I have already started researching his theory to find more information about this condition (googling abdominal trigger points and abdominal adhesions).  Here's one interesting thing I already found from a website and given that some of you had your gallbladder out, you might find it interesting:

Mystifying Symptoms

Gallbladder removal is done more often than any other type of surgery in the U.S. (over 600,000 per year). It's not uncommon for abdominal pain to remain after your gallbladder is gone. This can be worrisome for both doctor and patient.

But the pain may not be a residual problem with the biliary system. It may be nothing more serious than referral from trigger points in the abdominal muscles, which can do a very convincing job of mimicking gallbladder and bile duct symptoms.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a very popular diagnosis, but it's only a label given to abdominal symptoms when the true cause is unknown. When the tests all come up negative, there's an extremely high probability that trigger points are the source of the problem.

Any physician should know that trigger points are always exquisitely tender, and that pressure on abdominal trigger points very often reproduces or accentuates their referred pain.
Same problem here for 2 years now... No one knows what it is. HAve question to everyone. Did anyone have their lungs checked by any change? Do we have chance to get this from lungs at all?
I think we all should put together a plan and try to figure out ourselfs... No doctors can answer this as you probably already see. Is there anyone still on this post? If yes, let's talk and maybe have a plan how we can troubleshoot this problem. Diet, tests, medicines, procedures and so on. Let's look at everything and find something in common and then we might try somethings together and see if anything will help. What do you all think?
I have had pain in the URQ.  I had severe chest pains and was admitted to the hospital  The only meds I had taken were eye drops for glaucoma (recently diagnosed).  Gallbladder was removed 15 years ago, but pain was like gallbladder attack.  All test done for heart, lungs, etc. came back clear and good.  I quit taking the eye drops and have not had the pain in a week.  I go back to doctor tomorrow.  I think after researching the drug  and my pain that it was the cause of the ODDI.  
Re:  Hatethispain's post about putting together a plan.

I actually printed out this entire forum with certain common points highlighted and took it to my last doctor's appointment.   I've had every possible test to rule out all issues with internal organs.  For the last few months, since all else was negative, he had decided on IBS.  But I do not agree with this diagnosis since I don't have any #2 issues.  What does seem common is almost everyone here has had internal organ issues ruled out by many, many tests.

The issue of referred pain from the spine and trigger points may be our best bet for many of the posters here.  From what I've read so far, these nerve and soft tissue problems can mimic many conditions and make you think you have something wrong deep inside.  My doctor actually told me he's had 2 patients in 5 years with pain in the front that was referring from the spine.  My chiropractor examined my spine and doesn't think it's a referral issue from the spine but rather these abdominal trigger points.  He could actually push on specific points under my ribs and irritate the trigger points almost immediately.

These trigger points are tricky.  You might have to seek the advice of a chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist, etc, to see if this is a possibility.  These people are the experts in trigger points.  They deal with such issues on a regular basis and may be able to more easily recognize them.  I do believe though it is important to rule out internal organ issues before moving on to this possibility.  You definitely want to make sure everything inside is okay first and I think it's wise for a physician to rule out other issues first before considering a nerve or muscle issue.

I really hope that anyone that actually gets a diagnosis keeps posting back here so they can possibly help the rest of us.

How long was your pain for? You said you were taking eye drops. did you mean like an eye drops?
I had any possible tests done in these 2 year of pain (except HIDA test) and nothing seem to have any relation to the pain in RUQ. Going to Chiropracter now and he is not sure what can caust that pain. My problem that I have also some sensation between my shoulder blades, like chilles or numbness all the time. Does anyone experience anything simular?
When a massage therapist works on my neck and my upper back, it feels numb.......like pins and needles.  I have repetitive strain issues throughout my upper back, right side of my neck, right shoulder and arm.  I am an accountant and have sat in front of a computer for almost 20 years on that darn keyboard number pad (hence  - more issues on my right side).  Repetitive strain can also set off a series of muscular pain events since when one muscle tires from overuse, another muscle will compensate thereby creating a domino effect.

It may very well be that many of us have layers of issues due to certain physical and emotional stresses that have manifested themselves in our muscular and nervous systems.  Stress can do a lot of damage to our bodies over the years.  We should consider the option that some of our issues have stress related roots.  Everyday, science is uncovering more about how stress can make us physically sick.  Tense muscles & pinched nerves may be related to our ever increasing sedentary life style (desk jobs, couch potatoes).  Combine that fact with tensing muscles due to mental stress and we are one big knotted mess that may take years to unwind all the related physical issues.
The pain in my chest lasted for two days, but I still have pain under right rib cage.  I go back to doctor today.  I think the chest pain that put me in the hospital was related to the eye drops.  They have a chemical that relaxes soft muscle tissue.  I think this caused a problem with the specther of oddi and caused the same symptoms as gallbladder, but my gallbladder was removed in 1995.  I have been under a great deal of stress as well - work related and taking care of elderly parents,, etc. I also had a previous back injury in 2005 and now I am thinking some of the pain may be nerve related as well.  I go to the glaucoma specialist in November and see what he recommends regarding the eye drops.  Since I have discontinued the use of them, I have not had the severe chest pains, etc.  
I have strong feeling that we all have Sphincster of Oddi problem... and we all type III. I will start lookin onto that problem. Nothing else seem to match up the sympthoms....
I also have pain under my right rib cage.  It feels very sore and occasionally I'll get cramping pain, just below the ribs.  It's hard to bend forward or sit to drive.  Laying down sometimes will relieve the pain.  I have had a  CT scan, sonogram, CCK HIDA scan done.  Everything came back normal or negative.  My gallbladder function was only at 50% but that is considered normal.  The surgeon feels even though everything "appears" fine he suspects the gallbladder is the culprit.  10/29 I go in for surgery to have the gallbladder removed.  I am nervous about it but at the same time am looking forward to relief from pain.  I will try to come back and post the results and experiences.
Went back to doctor yesterday for post checkup following the hospital routine a week ago.  My liver enzymes are still elevated, but have gone down some.  I will have additional blood work done in three weeks to see if enzymes go back to normal.  I also have appointment with GI in four weeks.  Doctor thinks i have a gallstone/sludge even though gallbladder was removed 15 years ago.  The eye drops for glaucoma contain prostaglandin (same used to induce labor) and may have caused a problem with the sphincter of oddi.  Other medications contain prostaglandin.  This could be a common cause of some of these symptoms.  I have pain under right rib and sometimes travels around to center back.  Area under shoulder blade really hurts sometimes and also has tingling or numb sensations at times.  I have been on low fat diet for over a year and lost 40 lbs.  I had not noticed any problems with this in about a year until now.  I had added some oil to my diet and wonder if the combination of everything set it off.  I will keep you posted as I progress.  The pain is very scary to everyone and i hope we can find a better diagnosis.  
I had the same symtoms for two months and have had cat scans mri's etc.  I had a great doctor who did many blood tests and one came back positive for  BABESIA  from a tick bite..I am now on antibiotics and feeling somewhat better..but still have some days with pain.  I questioned my neurologist and he confirmed that my symtoms could definitely be attributed to BABESIA..so please be tested for autoimmune disease, lymes babesia etc.
Wow! There are a lot of us, aren't there? I have many of same symptoms as most of you - but I've actually added a few pounds and am bloated all the time. My pain is not only under my ribs, but on the ribs on the right as well. I feel like I have to arch my back to take the pressure off. My ultrasound, HIDA scan, etc., all showed my gall bladder functioning more or less normally. Interested to see if anyone else has shortness of breath when the feeling of pressure is intense. I'm a smoker, and of course, fear of lung problems is always there.
WOW! I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all that have posted here. I have been going through URQ pain for over 2 months and like everyone had blood test, CAT scan, and ultrasound. I have had my gall baldder out for over 20 years. The only thing the tests revealed was a "fatty liver" and diverticulitis. My Dr said to decrease the fat in my diet and add more fiber. I don't feel like eating at all and have lost 12 pounds the last month. (Also, I had hand surgery 4 months ago and that has been a painful, stressful recovery.)

I have pain all the time almost up under my ribs on the right and take Darvocet for the pain. I can't sleep on my right side and sometimes can't lay flat on my back without my right leg bent. My pain is worse sitting. I am now contemplating going to a GYN Dr even though I have had a hysterectomy many years ago to see if it could be ovary related.

As I read all your posts, I feel that I am not so crazy. I have felt like a hypochrondriac and just don't know what to do about all this pain. I am thankful to all of you for sharing and I will keep coming back to see if anyone finds a cure or diagnosis that we can share.

Again, thank you all!
I just came back from my doctor, one of the many I have been complaining to about this urq pain. I had a complete hysterectomy 5 years ago and my gallbladder removed 2 yrs ago. I can hardly sit too long or lay on that side in bed. I like so many of you felt like a hypocondriac or a nut job because no one seems to know what the heck is causing the pain. I am going for another mri with contrast and a few xrays. I have had scoliosis since birth, but back pain is one thing this under the rib is totally different, it seems like I still have a gallbladder except for the nausia. I feel for each and everyone of you and wish we could get to the bottom of this.
I have been experiencing a dull constant feeling of pressure directly under my right breast.  It also feels like it moves around.  Also when I touch the area it feels like something is in there??? I do have a fibroid, which i thought was the problem.  Went to OBG and had ultrasound done and that is not it.  Has referred me to gastor doc on the 11th.  I also belch a lot????  Will post again after visit.  Thanks for this post.  It has really helped to know I'm not loosing my mind....
I had my gallbladder removed last Friday 10/29.  I am doing a lot better now although there is still some discomfort. I go to get the drain removed today.  I can already tell that I don't have gallbladder pain! (just surgery pain)  It was pretty rough going though the first few days but all that will be worth not having pain ALL THE TIME in the future.  I would be happy to answer any questions about the experience.  Good luck to you.
check out   costochronditis
Here's another possibility I found:

Abdominal Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome (ACNES): A Commonly Overlooked Cause of Abdominal Pain

http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/sum02/acnes.html
I've had ever-increasing abdominal pain too - mostly URQ but do get pelvic pains.  I had my gallbladder removed, four laparoscopic ovarian surgeries (for ongoing cysts) with ovarian removal, and last year I had my colon twist and had to have 1/2 of it removed.  My pain is getting worse and worse.  After going to three *very good* GI specialists (two of them surgeons) I have a diagnosis and it might make sense to many of you too:  abdominal/pelvic adhesions!  

Apparently every time I had a gallbladder attack, it formed adhesions.  Every time I had an ovarian cyst rupture, it formed adhesions.  The gallbladder surgery and 4 ovarian surgeries formed adhesions.  Those adhesions are probably what caused my colon to twist and causing me emergency abdominal surgery . . . which caused A BUNCH of adhesions.    Adhesions can't be visualized on CT or MRI and the best way to relieve adhesions is to surgically cut them - which forms MORE adhesions.

It's maddening but I thought my answers (finally!) could help some of you.
I've been diagnosed with adhesions and/or abdominal trigger points (after two years of testing everything possible inside my abdomen).   It was my chiropractor that diagnosed me and he referred me to a massage therapist.  You have to make sure the massage therapist is well trained in this area and has the experience to treat adhesions.   I've also heard and read that homeopathic medicine can help with the treatment of adhesions.

Here's a short article regarding the use of massage for surgical adhesions:

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=13950
Hi all,
         I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with the pain I am suffering. I like everyone have had a lot of tests done with no diagnosis. The consultant basically told me to stop moaning and get on with things. The pain I have has got worse since I was in a car accident. I'm not sure if this is something to worry about. I was wondering if it could be a lung problem rather than gall bladder liver etc. Have people had lungs tested too?
Like a lot of people on here Im very greatful to have found you all and realise im not alone and not going completely mad. Ive had crohns disease for years, but this new URQ pain has been with me since April, my liver function tests have been elevated, now they are back to normal and my last two tests done in July/August showes raised pancreas levels, Im also anaemic, with extremely cold extrematies, my MRI and CT scans were normal, the gallbladder test showed normal gallbladder but severe bile reflux into the stomach, I have lost nearly 2 stone in weight now, I cant tolerate any fat and if I do eat any not only am i in intense pain but also get greasy loose poops. The pain is from the middle chest to middle rib cage going round to the back and up, most of the time its a slow gnawing pain that you cant get away from, it gets worse as the day gets on, and often keeps my awake all night as I cant get comfortable, there are times im literally on all fours trying to get some rest. Recently my GP noticed that my Crohns meds could cause pancreatitis so has taken me off it, now my whole gut is going into the most horendous spasam to the fact that im hanging onto the bathroom door crying in pain. Ive been off work since May and am desperate to get some weight back on and to feel a bit more normal. Ive been to the pain clinic and am on Tramadol or Oramorph depending on how severe the pain is and sickness pills for the nausea. Its doing my head in, any other help greatfully received. Many thanks.
Hi,i am 21 year old female, i have also had the same problems as you. I have now been sick for 5 years, have had my gallbladder and appendix removed, even though they actually did not need to be removed. I Get an attack 2-3 times and year and anytime i undergo surgery it causes me to have an attack. My last attack was in June it started as severe upper right abdominal pain(the pain feels like someone is burning my liver with a lighterl), with vomiting, nausia, low grade fever, and consitpation. My WBC levels were elevated for several days then dropped. Then my liver enzymes and lymphs climed(my dr called it very "bizzare"). I got swollen lypmh nodes in my stomach, throat, and groin, my urin was also redish-brown. Then i started to get sharp stabbing pains in my shoulders, arms, and fingers. I was sick like this for about 2 months, and all my levels started to go back to normal when i saw a doctor who mentioned that i could possibly have Acute Intermittent Porphyria. I still have yet to be diagnosed with it because i have not been tested during an attack. But i am still getting pain and random numbness in my arms, and it has started in my feet, but for some reason is a lot worse in my lower limbs and makes my feet super sensitive. I would mention this disease to your dr, it is a very rare disease, and very difficult do diagnose since the testing has to be done at the right time. I also had an aunty who had the same symptoms as me but suddenly passed away at the age of 33 while having the same attack that i get and they found no reason for her to die(oh and she had such severe nerve damage to her legs she could not walk) But the drs never did put that together and told her it was all in her head since they could not find anything wrong with her spine. But good luck to everyone with abdominal pain, i know how hard it is. I am now going for my 6th surgery for another hernia repair, and will be placed in the hospital for observation incase the stuff that puts you out causes an attack then they can do all the proper tesing they need to do.. wish me luck!!!

I checked this out!  It seems very plausible.  Two years ago at this time, I went to hospital with the same severe pain in the Upper Quad.  Morphine and then lots of inconclusive tests done over a three day outpatient investigation.

Nothing.  But! Two years ago I was heavy into bellydancing and walking hard...and this might have triggered this issue.

This weekend, the same pain came back, with some slight nausea, constipation, etc.  This weekend I was also shoveling compost for an hour, twisting my torso to the right (I'm left handed).  Thought it caused less stress on my 62 year old back.

However, the pain in my torso started the next day, and today it was severe.  Last night was bad, like a poker in the upper right gut.

I think this ACNES deserves to be considered.  Nothing else has worked, and the bills keep mounting up.  Seems so many doctors are just shooting in the dark on this issue.

Jane
Hi, Im glad to have found you guys.I am a 43 yr old male and have been having this URQ pain for over 1 yr now. Had tests for liver, gall bladder and stones and H pilori and have taken 2 different medications I think for ulcer. Still no relief. Funny thing is I can pretty much pinpoint this damn pain to a precise point.  Then one day my Doc told me to take a deep breath while he poked me up under the ribcage. Well if he didnt hit that exact spot. I almost went through the roof ! (been extra sore from this for 3 days now) I thought, OK now surely he must be onto something here. But there was this complacent attitude about it that he seemed to have. Im starting to think what the hell is going on here?! Then 6 mos ago i had numbness tingling sensation started happening in my right arm from under my shoulder blade and shoulder down to my finger tips.It occurred about every half hour (very uncomfortable) the doc attributed this to carp tunnel.So he has me wearing a wrist brace all the time with no relief. Then my wifes friend who is a massage therapist asks me why Im wearing a wrist brace. After telling her my symptoms she is adamant this is not carp tunnell. So she lays me down and pokes and prods and rubs under my armpit and around my shoulder for a while and low and behold I have not had any numbness or tingling for 4 days now. I dont know if this is related to my urq pain but worth the mention since it seems others may also be having pinched nerve scenarios.
Anyways, its interesting to read about trigger points in the abdomen. Would feel alot better about it just knowing what this pain is from.
I have been having URQ pain for six years now. I have had all the tests CT,MRI, endoscopy,colonoscopy, HIDA scan, ultrasound, chest x-ray, gallbladder removed. My GI doctor says it is IBS my orthopedic doc says it is degenerative disc with trigger points being under ribs. Has anyone tried acupuncture?
My PCP thinks my pain is being caused by acid so put me on an acid reducer/blocker. Another one thinks it is gallbladder and that it was triggered by losing so much weight very quickly after my pregnancy. She wanted to refer me to GI but my PCP wanted me to take the blocker for several months before undergoing tests. Neither theory explained why the tingling (mine is infrequently in my tongue of all places!) except that I'm wondering if something is inflamed, as someone mentioned their liver was large that maybe it puts pressure on a nerve elsewhere? It really is frustrating though that there are so many people with similar symptoms and no answer. I know it 'could' be a lot of things but with such specific symptoms - pain in the exact same places, tingling etc. it seems that it really would be a common cause. I'm wondering if anyone else ever has had issues with their kidneys? The only other health issue I've ever had besides arthritis is protein in my urine, frequent bladder infections and a kidney infection and one Dr. suggested I might have hyperuricemia which I think is a form of Gout?? Just wondering if anyone else has similar. I never ended up going forward with the testing for that so am wondering if it is related or a long-term affect.
hello everybody , yet another person glad to have found you all, i thought i was going mad. my problems started in august, i had stomach pain , pain under my right rib and trouble going for #2's. it seemed to ease off for a month or so , but in the last 2 and a half months i have lost 35lbs , and its getting worse. i just cant poop . the pain under my ribs is really getting me down, it hurts to eat or drink. if i do the pain gets worse. within minutes of eating or drinking i get really bad gas from both ends . it got to the stage i need to take a laxative every three days or i thought i might explode. i have been seeing my doctor since this started , he has finally decided to refer me to a consultant , they cant see me until the end of febuary. the doctor has now given me macrogol, ive been taking it for 4 days and i still cant go to the loo, i havent been for 5 days now and the pain is driving me nuts ,
i have found the only way to ease the pain is not to eat solid food , but now im worried that the amount im eating isnt going to help with the weight loss, but i physically cant eat anymore than i am doing .
i hope we can all find some answers
My HIDA scan came back normal. My CT scan came back normal. I saw a GI doc that looked at my symptoms and eventually had my gallbladder out. My liver enzymes were elevated during that time. They came back to normal after the GB was removed. I was in severe pain. They did find a stone upon removal. My pancreas appeared abnormal but all biopy's came back normal That is what the report said anyway.
During my UGI's and scopes they said I had a Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. They gave me Amytriptaline (sp?) which used to be used for depression but now they found out it works on the nerve endings there. It takes 3 weeks to work. It made me tired but I didn't notice much difference. The SOD was enlarged but they couldn't go inside or there was a 50% chance of pancreatitis. SO long story short, I can eat now but my pain is pretty bad in the URQ. Labs are all normal. Some talked of biliary colic. It seems to be related or gets worse with food consumption. The pain is real and constant. My right rib is even painful to the touch. Meds really don't take the pain away, just make it tolerable.
I am an RN and have researched this. The sad answer is they just don't have any idea. I am worried about the pain. There has to be something wrong. I read your posts Sam and it seems like you are similar. Are you on any meds? I will try pancreas enzymes. I am thinking what I have is much like what infants have. Colic. How can I stop the discomfort is the question?
I am also suffering with the same problem.. it started about last month and the constant little pain under my right rib is always there.. if get's worse when im at work, bending,sitting or laying down.. if i stand  and not move i;m fine lol i went to the er to see the doc on call, she sent me for blood work and everything and it says everything is fine. I had gaul bladder surgery last January and im not sure if it has somthing to do with my surgery or not... i hope i find out whats wrong with me soon or im not going to be able to work much longer..
Hello, I'm a 34 year old female and have been suffering from this pain for so many years, I don't even remember how old I was when it first started.  I used to only get an attack once every couple years.  But in November of 2008 I had another attack and til this day the pain does not go away.  2 years of constant pain.  I had been living of of anti-inflammatory pills, taking 800mg every 4-5 hours and the pain was still never.  Nothing ever really takes it away.
My pain is the exact same as most of you have described, however, sometimes it starts right in the middle of my chest, then moves to my right lower rib area, then moves to my back right rib area, then moves up to my right shoulder area...THEN goes all the way down to my lower back area, where your kidney's would be.  This severe pain is constant and lasts for one week, until it calms a bit, but never really goes away.  
The other thing that I would like to address, but have not read here as most of your symptoms is that I am constantly struggling to take a breath because inhaling IS SOOOOO PAIN FULL!!  I am not able to cough, sneeze, burp, laugh, and finish a normal sentence without running out of air and struggling to take a breathe to finish speaking.  Forget walking...I'm slumped over and can't stand up straight, and because it hurts so much to take a breath, any physical activity is too painful.  I have also found that laying down is also very painful, I have to be in a seated position in bed and very still for me to find any comfort. There is no way I can even lay on either side during the attacks...too painful.  Although I have found that when I apply pressure to the area (on my right lower rib cage) the pain does subside a bit.
Another symptom I always have with the attacks that I again haven't read here is that I also get a fever, I haven't really taken a temperature during this time...but I get really really hot and very weak and fatigued.  I've also noticed that I get hungry very frequently, I know it's odd but it's been my observation.
Here is another finding, I started taking 500mg capsules of L-Carnitine around May this year, and after about a couple weeks of taking one a day I started to notice that it was helping relieve my pain.  I don't know if there is a direct scientific link, but that was the only thing that I had changed in my diet and noticed it helped.
I'm sorry this is so long, but there is so much to write about this topic and YES everyone around me is tired of hearing that I'm sick AGAIN.  I feel like such a useless person and that the whole world is living, working, being active and enjoying life while I'm in bed completely immobile in pain...it is depressing.
About the whole gallbladder connection...here is my story...in July of 2009, while visiting Mexico, I had another attack and a friend of mine dragged me to their hospital (my first visit regarding this issue because I know they never find anything so why bother, right) anyhow, after giving all my symptoms they did an ultrasound and found that I had stones in my gallbladder and everything I was describing was a direct result of it.  Leaving there relieved that it was nothing really serious and with some GREAT pain meds, I came back to the states and still in pain (it had become chronic by now) I decided to go to one of my US emergency room and see if they have the same findings.  Well, after about 6 hours of waiting for results of blood and urine tests, they said that everything came back "normal" .  I asked them to do an ultrasound, because obviously SOMETHING was NOT normal if I am having pain...right?!  Well, they didn't do it because there was nothing abnormal in my test results.  So I contacted a gallbladder specialist dr, and took my x-rays and dr. reports and records that I had done in Mexico with me, he was so excited that I had PPO insurance that he didn't even do his own tests and went on the "word" of the reports from Mexico and scheduled me for surgery to remove my gallbladder.  Needless to say, I was excited that I was going to be relieved of the pain (pain=stones in my gallbladder)  YEAH RIGHT!!  I had surgery August 3rd...and before the month was up I had another attack....SAME PAIN! WTFFF!!!  I was so upset and so depressed, everyone told me to call my surgeon and tell him that THAT wasn't the problem and to help find what it was.  I never did.  I don't want to be a guinea pig and a money making machine for our health care system or professionals. The only thing that I have gotten after removing my gallbladder is acid reflux/heartburn...don't know which is which but it's very bad in the mornings and if my first meal in the day is fatty/oily I HAVE to run to the bathroom within 20-30 min with crazy diarrhea...sorry if that's TMI :) Dr. told me that those will go away as my body heals from the surgery, but it's been over a year and I now have 2 more things I suffer from!!  And after searching and searching for some self diagnosis, I found that the closest definition to my condition is Pleurisy, and that concludes my research...sadly.
I so do apologize for this post being very long, but I just want to know if there is anyone else out there with these exact symptoms.
hello. WOW all i can say is WOW!! i cannot believe how similar all you people are to me. Im at my lowest point at the moment, so finding this forum is fantastic. I have had the most awful pain just under my right ribcage for about 6 month, I have lost 3 stones in weight, dropped 3 dress sizes, im like a skeleton now. I have had every test under the sun. I first had an utrasound which showed dilated bile duct and gallbladder sludge, but then all the other tests seem to show my gallbladder is normal. iv had a ct, mrcp, barium mfollow through xray, endescope. They all seem normal. I cant understand why my ultrasound showed different, its weird.Last month I was also diagnosed with pernitious anaemia (b12 defficiency and folic acid) I am so weak and get very short of breath, the pain goes right round to my right shoulder blade. Some days I couldnt even describe the pain its so bad. I saw my consultant today at the hospital and he has said he does not know what to do for me as nothing appears wrong. I thought I was going crazy till i came accross this site. IM so scared and confused about whats happening to me. I have young children and find it so hard to put smile on my face for them. I sit and cry when they are at school. Im so depressed by it all and dont know what to do. Thanks for listening
Everyone that has posted recently, if you have any questions that you would like answered, please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.  Thanks!
Hi. I am crying as I write this, partly because I know this isn't over yet & partly because I have finally found a site with people going through the same thing I have been dealing with for years!  In 2001 I had gall Bladder surgery as I had  swelling & severe pain.

Well, as many of you have said...it didn't go away!  I also have had many tests since then, including being admitted to the hospital with this pain. They did Ultrasound, MRI, CT scan, blood work, urine, endoscopy and colonoscopy.  I do have GERD and take Prilosec for that. but GERD was diagnosed many years ago. My son has Crohnes & Mom has Ulcerative colitis. So I thought it may be related to that. But all the tests keep coming back normal (I did have a little blood in my urine is all). I also had one ovary removed 3 yrs. ago and they found I do have IC (Interstitial Cystitis) So, they thought I had IBS which can be related to IC.... Well, the IBS diet did not work at all. Still have pain & swelling with NO answers yet!    

I do have a theory from my experiences..... Since I don't have a gallbladder... could all the fat my GB used to process, be causing some or most of this pain?  They were also thinking Abdominal Adhesions but tests didn't show it. Unlike some of you I am GAINING not losing weight! I ALWAYS feel bloated & full & am constipated (only go 1x per week)  Even if I "Diet" it doesn't matter. Still swollen & in pain.  It feels like my liver or pancreas is burning (especially when I sit or lay on my right side) It also feels like pressure & is right under my ribs on the URQ. I look 9 months pg! They even did a pg test even though I'm in menopause.

I will follow up on some of your leads & sites you mentioned also. We need to stick together on this!  Like many of you, my family's getting sick of hearing it and I am getting so sick of laying around in my Jammies with so much pain & swelling! I am so tired of trying to explain to people who don't understand!  Thanks so much for all of your input & for being here! It's so great to know I'm not alone on this!  

How amazing this thread is!!  I returned from my holiday at the end of August. Within a week of returning I noticed a strange "full" sort of sensation just under my right ribcage. I noticed that if I rubbed at the area or stretched a little, it would seem to subside. Also I started noticing a dull sort of pain - not persistant - sort of like a mild stitch - which comes and goes and is not severe.  As I had been on a long 5 week holiday with ample drinking, and has also been on anti fungal tablets for 14 weeks before my holiday, I was a little concerned that I may have done some damage to my liver.  I therefore went to my GP, who arranged for some liver function tests to be carried out. These came back completely normal, but by now, I had also noticed that my stomach seemed to be "bigger" than normal and I was concerned that there was some sort of fluid build up .  So I asked my GP to palpate me, as I thought at least he would be able to tell if there was anything abnormal on the liver or surrounding area.  He did this and confirmed that nothing felt abnormal, and that I did not have any fluid retention.  He also ordered a full set of blood tests, including the C125 for cervical cancer.  All tests have come back completely normal!  I am now awaiting an ultra sound on my abdominal aeorta, as this was the only thing that the GP was sightly concerned about, saying it was protruding more than it should do.   However, I feel that the real problem is being overlooked.  I still have the dull aches on a daily basis, and when I have eaten a lot, I feel and look very bloated. I have also noticed that I have a LOT of wind lately (not pleasant at all!) and my stools float, which I presume is because they are full of gas.   Two years ago, I suffered with severe pain in the very middle of my chest, just underneath my breast bone and have had umpteen ct scans and Mri scans since, as they found a lesion on my kidney, which does not grow and does not cause me any problem.  However again, I feel that the pain under the breastbone was overshadowed by the finding of the kidney lesion!!  Whether any of this has anything to do with the URQ pains I do not know!  I have lost no weight (if only!) I have no problems with passing stools (other than they tend to float more than they used to) and have the appetite of a horse. I am starting to feel like a hypercondriac.  Sometimes the pain feels like it is right on the rib. I just dont know.  Oh, and the strangest pain of all (which is very infrequent) is a pain up in my top right back teeth!!!!.......I cant help but worry that there is some sort of cancer going on (liver, pancreatic, gallbladder) but on reading this, I am inclinded to think that this is unlikely...especially since I have none of the normal cancer symptoms (tiredness, loss of weight, yellowing of the skin)  ...but I am just intrigued as to what it is....anyone else with my symptoms???? thanks.
I've been having this exact stomach pain. It's taken over my life. I'm sixteen and I cannot even enjoy my highschool experience. My symptoms are stabbing pains in my upper right stomach right under my rib cage. And I've been experiencing extreme heat in my stomach. The only way I can describe it as my stomach acid eating away at every other organ in my body. I'm constantly home afraid to go out because the pain may become too intense for me to handle. So far I've had an upper and lower GI done, a HIDA scan, ultra sounds, a CT scan, blood tests, and tons of X-rays. All the tests come back normal and each time this happens a little part of my hope dies. So far the best they've come up with is that its IBS and I should see a therapist because IBS is caused by stress. But my therapist tells me although I am stressed its not to the point of me making myself sick over it and she thinks its completely medical. My mother is demanding them do a MRI since thats the only test left. Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm 17 with the same thing!!! However I don't have a gallbladder anymore, and honestly, taking it out didn't help my problem. They've done every possible test and still nothing besides IBS and Acid Reflux. I had to start homeschooling because it was so bad that my attendance at high school was terrible and homeschool was a better option. I'm going back next semester only because I'm going to suck it up. I'm so tired of hearing that it's only because I'm "stressed" or it's just IBS, that I've basically given up and no one else I know has these symptoms. I'm glad it's not just me! What have they said about your gallbladder?
I'm very glad to find people who understand what I have been through! I have a very terrible year! After just a week of gallbladder attacks (pain in under my right ribcage radiating to my right shoulderblade), I had my gallbladder removed in November 2009. In June 2010, I began having the same pain and pressures and after seeing a GI doctor in Mobile, AL and doing an EGD, blood work, and an ultrasound, he found nothing. I decided to go to a GI doctor in Birmingham, AL. He suspected SOD so he did blood work and an ERCP with manometry. He found that I had pressures of 120 whereas the normal pressures are 30 I think. He then performed a sphincterotomy. The surgery seemed to ease it a bit but there were still pressures. By September, it was back full force again. My family physician suggested that I do an abdominal exploratory laparoscopy. I met with the same surgeon who a year ago took out my gallbladder and we decided on November 20, 2010. During surgery, he cut back some scar tissue that was pressing against my intestines, removed my appendix, and an inflamed lymph node for testing which came back normal. After the surgery, I was pain free until December 15, 2010. This particular day, I went to work (I am an office manager-sitting most of the day) and felt fine until about 4 pm. My pain returned and this time it was very severe. Also, my entire right arm, right foot, and right leg were tingling. I was admitted into the hospital that night. They did blood work, chest xray, EKG, MRI, CT Scan-you name it, everything came back normal. I was sent home Monday. I'm still in alot of pain and I can't understand why. I have had EVERY test and nobody can figure it out. I am researching pain management as I am so tired of dealing with this. If anyone has any answers, suggestions, or comments-I would greatly appreciate it.
I have been suffering with this pain (RUQ, side, back) for a year and a half.  It started when I had a chiropractic adjustment, the first of my life.  The chiropractor, of course, thinks I am nuts.  Since then, all sorts of tests, medications (for GI) and alternative therapies, including regular acupuncture.  I am miserable, but like so many of you, I can no longer complain, as I've been written off as a kook.  So, I just try to get through the day; I don't live, I exist.  Lying down helps, but then in the middle of the night, I awaken and can't find a comfortable position.  Barely sleeping, very bloated (even with my vegetarian diet, probiotics, regular exercise, etc.).  Speaking of exercise, doing the treadmill makes my backaches much worse; the muscles on either side of my spine are extremely sore.  Sitting at a computer, driving a car or sitting for a meal are the worst times for me.  I've had two doctors tell me that the chiropractic likely pinched a nerve; they've explained how the nerve travels around the side of the ribcage and up to the solar plexus, which can initiate GERD issues and breathing troubles, both of which I've had.  No resolution; am absolutely miserable.  Feel best in the morning upon arising before I take any supplements or eat anything.
This past Monday I woke up in the night with terrible pain below my rib cage on the right side (around the appendix).  On Wednesday I decided to go the ER because I thought I had appendicitis.  I had a CAT scan done, and they said i didnt have appendicitis, but I had inflammation in my intestines.  They said I might have Crohns disease, and should change my diet until I see a specialist.  My grandfather had colitis.

It has been very difficult over the last week, only by eating liquid meals do I feel relief.  My bowl movements have been also no-existent.  I have been taking Vicoprofen for pain relief, but this is not a long term solution.

I cant meet with the GI until the end of January, so hopefully my normal doctor can help me with this.

It seems to hurt most in the evenings, and especially when I wake up in the morning (when I wake up, i feel no pain, and then suddenly it starts when my body seems to start up.)
I am amazed at the number of people experiencing this type of pain.  My 15 year old daughter is experiencing almost all of what is posted here.  It began in mid August as cramping a couple of days a week and is now constant RUQ pain with frequent sharp pain that radiates up the right side of the chest and into the back.  The pain increases if she walks, exercises and it even hurts to breathe. She has had two ultra sounds, two HIDA scans, a CAT scan and multiple blood tests.  Everything is showing normal with the exception of a fatty liver which the doc says is slight and not abnormal.  Her GI doc is now diagnosing IBS which I am certain is wrong.  She is taking Vicodan and an anti nausea medication on a regular basis just to get through the day.  Meds were prescribed by her primary care doc as the GI doc says she just needs to work through the pain and handle it on her own.  GI doc also blames stress, which her therapist says is a crock of "you know what".  She is also now seeing a chiropractor to see if he can help in any way.  Her primary doc is certain this is gall bladder related even though the test are showing normal, and is in the process of contacting a surgeon to see if we can get the gallbladder removed.  I'm concerned that this won't cure the problem, but we aren't sure where to go next.  Any advice?
Wow, whatever this thing is, it seems to be an epidemic.
I am just wondering how many of us there are 'out there'.

I am a 46 year old female. I am overweight and don't eat really healthy meals.

Anyway, for the past 5-6 years, I have had this pain in my upper right abdominal area that comes and goes. I get mild 'attacks' about 2-3 times a year that usually lasts for about a week- a fortnight before going away.

At the moment, I am in the middle of an attack and hence how I found this site. When I am immobile, there is no pain and thus I spend a lot of time just resting in bed or watching TV.
When I take a deep breath or get up and walk around, I feel like somebody is twisting a hot knife into my liver area.

A few years ago, I went to the hospital and had some tests. The results showed gallstones and slight inflammation of the gall bladder as a result.
I asked them if they could do anything and they said 'no, it's not that serious to require surgery, you'll be fine'.
They gave me some antibiotics and some Nurofen and Nexium and sent me back home.

After a week, it kind of went away anyway.

I have had 4 acute attacks since then, but I don't want to see the doctor anymore for more 'band-aids' for this problem.

The pain is not really excrutiating, just very annoying about a 5-6 on the 'pain scale'.

I have been on the watch for other symptoms, like skin/eye yellowing, clay coloured poo, fever, nausea and vomiting but so far, all has been well, so I doubt it's anything to rush to my doctor about anyway.
Apart from being a bit tired and having this pain, I am pretty much okay.

It's always worrying though when pain is 'unexplainable', sure, my gall bladder may be playing up again, or I may have a bit of an infection there or whatever...

One good thing though, if it's any consolation whatsoever to those who are suffering, if everything comes back 'normal' it can't be anything really serious, can it? It still doesn't answer the question about wtf is going on though and that's really scary.
I can't believe this. Indeed, it is an epidemic. I sincerely hope these are not pancreatitis attacks.  I get them often - probably once every two weeks.  I have been having this since 1998.  My theories are - there is something wrong in the hepatic flexure and stool & gas are accumulating there and there is distention which is irritating the phrenic nerve and the diaphragm.  Somehow, that is causing referred pain in pectoral minor, shoulder blades - all on the right side.  I get the numbness in the pinkie and all the characteristics described here.
The one thing I did not talk to the family physician was tendonitis in the diaphragm and will pursue it.  This pain is less for me when I eat smaller meals and I am working out more regularly.

Best wishes to all.
I am also glad to see i am not the only one trying find out WTH is wrong!  I am a 46 yr old female, exercises regularly, eats fairly well and def have drinks at end of the day.  
I was teaching an exercise class when I thought I pulled a muscle, then thought it had to do with monthly cycle...two weeks later I was at the drs in severe pain.
Went though blood work..normal..had x-ray, ultrasound, 2 CT scans and a colonoscopy...all normal.  Like everyone, no-one seems to have a clue.  The pain is incosistant, but never goes away.  I saw someone else write, when its massaged and stretched out it seem to be a small relief, I have experienced that as well.  I have all my organs, I cannot related to those who have had some removed.
I am now going to follow up with a chiropractor to see if there is a possiblilty I have a rib out of place..
Good luck to all of you and hopefully, someday we can help others in this same situation!
hi strongeagle, i really hope you get the help you need, im sick of it all now,my doc has said he doesnt know what to do with me as all my tests except one has come back ok. my ultrasound showed i had dilated bile duct and gallbladder sludge yet strangely all the other scans ct, mrcp, barium scan showed normal. im confused and still in agony. Surely there must be some form of help out there. Im now waiting for this doc to refer me to his colleague as he seems to have given up. seems like he cant find the cause so chooses to make me feel like its in my head, how crazy is that, like iv got nothing better to do than sit up the hospital for hours on end, Iv got 5 kids so deffo dont need this. Anyway good luck to you, I hope your doc helps you soon, i can totally sympathise with you.  do let us know how you get on x
Hi to everyone!
am 38 years,female and so happy to have found so many who share the same problems as me.
I've been having pains under my ribcage on the right side more tahn an year now,,it was mild at the start now it's becoming worse...its is sharp burning pain and it aggravates after meals and nwo i find its hard to walk for a distance.i already over weight...my liver profile suggests nothing and my doctor says its because am over weight.I'm 80 kg and am gaining real fast without eating more..i dont know why....is this true..i find it hard to believe because i've havr seen heavier people than me who have no such problems.my doctors is treatinf me for gastritisnow its the 4th day...no improvement the apin severe i cannot even sit sometimes ..it gets better when i stand...is any one having same problems pls share with us
Hi mishmash321!  hang in there...with all of us trying to figure out this common pain, some worse than others, hopefully some doctor will have the balls to take on this issue and help us all!  In meantime,enjoy your kids as much as possible, and when i get thru with my chiro appointment, will certainly post my results in hopes to help others.I do have to add my pain gets worse just before my monthly cycle.  And believe or not, guys go thru a mild cycle as well...may want to keep an eye on that...yes, even with hysterectomies...cycles stll occur.
Hope the new year brings less pain to all of us!
Everyone, this post is very very old.  Please if you have any questions you would like answered, post them as a new post.  If you have any questions please let me know.
OMG!!!  Yours was the last post I read and I began laughing (which hurt like heck and not because anything you said was funny), because I have the exact same symptoms! Especially the running to the bathroom after eating, I don't even like to go out to eat anymore because I am afraid I won't make it out of the restaurant before I have to GO!!  I am so amazed that so many people share the same symptoms and yet there seems to be no real diagnosis.  I find myself in a rather detrimental situation because currently I have no health insurance so I just pray and pray and continue to suffer hoping that I don't have a very serious condition.  I have had my gall bladder removed over a year ago now so I can't help but think that it is related somehow.  I had a hysterectomy over 3 years ago and I do suffer from kidney stones and kidney infection so immediately I thought that I might have a stone and I was bracing myself for the worse.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but because this pain is chronic, I feel like I am going crazy. I think my husband and children think I am a hypochondriac so I put up the appearance that I am feeling better when clearly I do not which is evident by the wincing or sudden yelp when I turn the wrong way or stretch and feel the pain catch or feel acute excruciating pain from sneezing or blowing my nose).  I have the pain whether I lie down or sit but I do get some relief when I apply light pressure to the URQ which feels lumpy and swollen at times.  I have to place a pillow against the URQ when I laugh or cough or yawn or take a deep breath.  Today I was going to try some heat.  I have began taking Advil PM so I can get some rest at night but I don't like to take meds for a long period of time.

Sorry for the long post but reading all of the comments have put my mind at ease somewhat, but at the same time I wish someone has gotten more of a definitive diagnosis and treatment.  I will keep reading so please if there is some good news...share share share

Blessings and good health to you all in 2011
I have the same pain as the others...no bowel issues. But when this started a couple years ago they initially treated me for UTI but in do not haver a fever or blood in my urine.  I then went to ob/gyn who did a laprasopy and found the smallest amount of endometreosis... MRI has found that I have 2 "insignificant" masses on my liver (which I understand most of us have) but it is in a abnormal position. My liver is slightly enlarged. But again nothing to worry about.  I had it every day for a long time until the dr. Put me on leave for three months.  Then the pain was random. Really rough when I went on a Long drive up the coast. Usually appears also durning my cycle.  I am over weight..sadly gained more weight when my mom passed..u

So here is the strange thing. I started back at work this week and I am in so much pain and that is when it came to my mind... Maybe it's the posture from my abdomen.  Since many of us feel like there is either a pinch or just not  enough room for my organs. If my liver is enlarged, the mass is pressing on something or bloated from Pms all of this feels like it is shoved up against my ribs then I crunch over at work or sit all bunched up on the couch pinching a (what ???) Pinching a muscle? Organ? My vascular system

I went to my dr. (one of the 5 I have for this problem) and also just as puzzled as all of you..I told him this.  This week I am going to try wearing a abdominal binder.  Anti-inflammatory / muscle relaxer hopefully to repair the damage of what I may have done this week.  I will let you all know what I find.  But has anyone else felt / or tried this?  Do you feel like not enough room for your organs and if you sit with one side elongated that you may be able to get a deep breath and make room?

Shannon  
The problem with H-pilori is that if it goes undetected for too long it sits in your stomach and eats at the lining, and can cause different things like gaseritis and ulcertive colitis. Be careful alot of people mistake H-pilori for heartburn and indegestion.
today I had an. endoscopy done.It shows that i have severe gastritis..medical report says
Grade B reflux.Corpus gastritis no ulcers.the doc gave me medicine for 1 and a half months...i'm hoping and praying that my pain would go off as i have two kids to care for.I sincerely pray  also  for others to recover soon so that we  could all get  on with our lives.
I also have pain under my right ribs/breast.  I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (stomach reduction) to lose weight in June.  Immediately following the surgery I had sharp pain in that area when breathing, especially when I breathed deeply or when yawning.  Over the couple of weeks following the surgery, it got better but it has been 7 months now and still hasn't gone away.  I noticed one of the early posts about this described it being like something was in there and that is what I thought, maybe something got left in there during the surgery.  Since I have a history of smoking, I also thought it may be lung cancer.  I had a chest x-ray last week and I'm waiting for the results.  I'm also going to try the chiropractor since I often have back pain just below my shoulder directly behind where the pain in the front of my URQ is.  My pain is not debilitating, just worrisome.  If I find any cure, I will certainly re-post!
Add me to the list of many. My pain is not severe but still a pain I am getting tired of. But contance on my right side just at and below my ribs. I too went to have scans etc. Nothing! I was thinking liver but had good blood work come back.
Rob
To many on this forum, please consider and research lyme disease.  I had many of your symptoms including upper right quadrant pain for years until I was finally diagnosed with lyme disease.  It affect every part of your body along with its coinfections.  I believe my URQ pain was from my liver being congested from the many infections.  Please be aware that lyme testing is very unreliable and controversial.  A negative test does not necessarily mean you do not have lyme.  You must request a western blot and study the banding.  Lyme will be an epidemic in the years to come.  Make yourself aware of it.
DIAGNOSIS SUGGESTION. After 12 years of attacks of RUQ pain, I think I have finally found a diagnosis! I want to share it, in hopes that it helps someone else. If you have pain and you recently had your gallbladder removed, or if you had a Hida Scan (gallbladder fuctionality test) and the test caused the same RUQ pain, or if you have undiagnosed RUQ pain at all, you should at least look at the Sphincter of Oddi (SOD) dysfunction. The SOD is the muscle that controls the release of bile from your bile ducts and pancreas. The dysfunction causes severe colicky RUQ or sternum pain like a kidney stone, it can cause increased liver and pancreatic values (but often does not, mine has not in 12 years, or like with gallbladder issues, the elevated values may not show up until days or even weeks after the attach), vomiting, nausea, etc. My pain generally is focused directly under the right ribs, but sometimes radiates to the center of my sternum and my back. I had my first attack in 1999. Since then, I've been given over 40 diagnoses, and undergone multiple procedures and nearly a dozen surgeries!

I saw a Mystery Diagnosis show on SOD dysfunction over a year ago and thought, "No, that can't be what I have because I'm not as sick as the patient on the show."  Well, I wasn't then, but after 12 years, the attacks got really bad after I had my gallbladder removed, and I finally developed some other symptoms of SOD dysfunction - certain foods, especially greasy, high fat foods can trigger an attack (literally, a bite of greasy food can cause a pain like an ice pick through your ribs, but the next bite of something not greasy is fine); vomiting (finally, though I've nausea and diarrhea for years, I had to puke before it became a real symptom), and low grade fever. After being admitted to the hospital for dehydration and malnutrition because the latest attack left me unable to eat or drink for several days, I still had to insist that the doctors keep me in the hospital when I was rehydrated to try to find the cause of the problem or otherwise, I'd have ended up right back there again since I still couldn't eat.  Luckily, I caught my gastroenterologist on rounds at the hospital before he was real awake that morning. (He's the best in town, but his favorite answer to a suggested diagnosis is "Oh, you don't want to go down that road - if that's what it is...the treatments are terrible or it just means it could be a number of things or well, that might be it, but let's not test for it, let's just try more drugs). However, I just hit him with the question first thing - I said "I looked at the symptoms for SOD dysfunction and it sounds a lot like this...what do you think?" He replied "Oh, you have classic SOD dysfunction symptoms...." Then he caught himself and added that the treatments are dangerous - they can cause pancreatitis, but doesn't say you can get it if you don't treat it! He then goes on to recommend that I see a neurologist for chronic pain treatment (i.e., drugs), when I'm having an attack that could be causing damage to my pancreas and liver! He also neglects to mention that SOD dysfunction can be tested for by having a pain management doctor or neurologist inject lidocaine into the muscle to numb it. If it works, they can also do injections regularly to keep the muscle relaxed, or if that fails, there are procedures for cutting the muscle but some of these techniques are still being studied for long-term effects. There are several studies going on right now at various medical schools around the country, so SOD dysfuction seems to be a relatively new diagnosis. That said, anyone who's pain got worse after gallbladder surgery should definitely check into this disorder, and if you have RUQ pain, at least look it up on the Internet.

I'm hoping to get the injection into the SOD muscle this week and will provide an update on whether this works. Thanks to everyone for their posts - it really made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one with this pain, but I feel awful that so many are suffering through this too! Please let all of us here know what your final diagnosis is, when you get one, so others can know what else to ask their doctors. I am so tired of doctors telling us not to look up our symptoms on the Internet also. We should be knowledgeable about our treatments, conditions, alternative diagnoses! If I had accepted any of the diagnoses prior to this one, who knows how sick I'd be by now? With this condition, I've been diagnosed with everything from interstitial cystitis, IBS, endometriosis and scar tissue to "something Western medicine cannot cure."

Also, would everyone please tell their worst diagnosis ever?  And your worst experience with a doctor (don't name names)? I think it would help me (and hopefully others) to know if doctors are as condescending and awful as they are with me! If I ask a question, I'm "doubting" them or questioning their judgment (anyone does that to you, find another doctor). I'm also working on putting together some information for a letter to send to the doctors and hospitals that didn't diagnose me properly and would love to know if everyone's comments would be the same as mine. I plan on copying the appropriate medical boards on these letters to see if they'll at least address the issue of patients like us by insisting that doctors take more continuing education courses or something!

You are all in my prayers! May each of us find a diagnosis and live a pain-free life again! In the meantime, may we all do our part to make getting a diagnosis easier for the next person, who could be our father, mother, child, sister, brother....
I as well have the same pain and the same test and same answers.
Very frustrating I must say.  you can have liver disease and show normal enzymes.  I think Doctors are ignoring basic guidelines on diagnosing people to have test come back normal and them to just say " well every  thing is normal" nothing else to do for you.!!  That is Bull Crap! Get on with truly diagnosing things.  I believe they need to start doing pet scans and liver biopsy on patients with pain of this nature.  Why wait until its to late and then so OOOOPPppps.... This is medical mapractice in my opinion.
Hello all, I would like you all to see this link and tell me if you guys have the problem.

http://www.healthline.com/symptomsearch?addterm=Right%20Upper%20Quadrant%20Pain like you all to see this link and tell me if you guys have the problem.
Hello everyone. I, too, have been experiencing this mysterious pain, for only two weeks, though. I was setting up some DVR boxes in our house and it involved me getting on the floor, moving wires, etc. And, I noticed the pain begin at that moment. I felt weird, as if I had pulled a muscle. It has been 2 weeks to the day now, and I've spent the last 2 weeks in a state of paranoia and a constant low pain in my right side (Sometimes it feels right underneath my rib cage, sometimes it feels as if it moves to my back, or right above my hip onto my pelvis (Where the top of my pants sit). I've come across this site, and I am really hoping it isn't serious. I am 19 years old, male, no previous health problems, right at the average weight for a guy my size (5"8 145 lbs), and I still live at home with my folks (full time college student). That area of my abdomen/chest feels warm to the touch. As I sit here and type this, I notice my back is becoming stiff/hurting (it could be a result of me being stressed out, but this added symptom seems to point to liver cancer... ) It could be that I sit at my desk for hours on end (I work from home, and I am taking online classes). But, you just never know. I am going to the doctor soon, and I am hoping that this is something that can be easily treated. I had an uncle that became diagnosed with cancer at the same age I am now, and he died 4 years later. I also had an aunt die from liver cancer just this last year, so, it is safe to assume that I am paranoid out of my mind.
I started having all these symptoms last year...and each time it gets worse...and happens in shorter time frames....I had one episode in march of last year...just the sharp pains in the RUQ area...then in july of 2010 it got much worse...came back home drank a propel water and then bam it hit me..intense sharp pains...pail white....sweats but i was cold skinned...it almost knocked me out..thought I was going to die..I even called my friend to take me to the er...but I toughed it out and everything went away in about 45 minutes to an hour...and then on thanksgiving day of 2010 i had another episode..this one last for about four hours...the pain did not go away but i got some of my strength back....and recently...I had another huge episode but this time (oh and by the way when the pain comes i have to walk around and when i get to lay down i can lay on that side  of my stomach) I was standing straight up to make sure my blood was flowing because both my right hand and left starting tingling/like they were becoming numb almost up to my fore arm....I thought this was the end....not sure what it is but after reading this entire blog not sure if I want to go to the doctor...Ive been reading all the symptoms to the possible issues and none of them really fit what I am experiencing....has anyone found anything out...before I go to the doctor...I have unemployment insurance and its hard to imagine they will pay for it..the pain is so unbearable that its even pushed pain upward towards my heart and lungs at one attack...i believe it was the one in july....We all should or someone take this entire blog to a specialist and let them do studies on this...I am going to bookmark this page and let someone of interest read over this crazy disorder that seam not to have a diagnosis...please let me know if someone finds something...
Like all of you, I have been experiencing these symptoms for years. Until they started, I was an extremely active/athletic female, currently 54 years old. After my first trip to the emergency room in October 2008, I was diagnosed with gall stones. I had gall bladder removed that month. A month later, I was in the emergency room again with chest pain. They ran a cardiac panel and did a CT scan - nothing.

Things got better, but I had a constant, nagging pain in my mid-right back area. I had another flair up last April and blood tests indicated elevated liver enzymes. The doctor was concerned because I shared that I had been over-exposured to chemical pesticides and insecticides on the job. The levels were back to normal after two weeks of no exposure, but he suggested I see a Naturopath for liver detox and possible hormone-related issues. I went through a rigorous liver detox process.

I felt pretty good for a few months though the side/back pain persisted at a lower level.

Then, in October 2010, I experienced another flair up, this time it has not subsided completely, though the pain had been 5-6 on a scale of 10. It involved another trip to the ER. In January, the pain intensified to an 8-10. Don't know if it's related, but I had recently begun exercising again. Back to the ER with a diagnosis of "probable ulcer" and related medications to go with that diagnosis. No tests were conducted. No relief from those meds.

I was finally referred to a GI doctor this month. So far, I've had ultrasounds, an endoscopy, an MRCP, all the blood profiles, urine tests, etc. Nothing. The GI Doc recommended I take Nexium twice a day for two weeks and call him back. Though we mentioned the SOD possibility, neither the GI doc nor the ER Doc acknowledged that we even mentioned it? I put myself on a bland diet to see if that helps in the meanwhile.

I have researched the SOD issue, thanks to this blog, and found a program at Virginia Mason in Seattle that is involved in clinical trials regarding treatment for SOD. Unfortunately, because of my current insurance coverage, I have to jump through all the hoops with my current GI doctor before I can request referral to someone else, but I thought this might be helpful to some of you. The clinical trials are being run in several different areas other than Seattle. Maybe one would be close to some of you if you have the means to get there? I found it by searching SOD.

I still have no idea that this is even potentially the problem, but I think the more educated we all become and the more we share, the better we are at being advocates for ourselves. Gone are the days when we should rely on and blindly trust doctors. As with any profession, some are good and some are not?
Well hello, and I must say I am a bit surprised to have read through all of the posts here and find so many with the same symptoms.  I have had URQ pain for a few months now and sometimes they are quite sharp and take me to the floor in to the fetal postion to alleviate the pain.  My situation started around Mid October, 2010 when I started having acid reflux and constipation issues.  Over the next few weeks after the initial symptoms started, I went to my Primary care manager for the same symptoms as nothing they did seemed to work.  Oh, the whites of my eyes started turning a bit yellow as well.  After the blood work results came back they immediately called me and the run of tests began.  My Biliruban was elevated (as high as 18 at one point) , AST's, ALT's were elevated.  I am not a drinker so that cause (Alcohloism) was ruled out, so they turned to a potential autoimmune or drug induced (lisnopril being the possible culprit).  They are still troubled by the accute onset of my symptoms.  Anyway, my GI doc is going with autoimmune diagnosis and treating with prednilisone (??), Steroids, that is.  During the course of all of these issues, I landed myself in the hospital about twelve hours or so after a liver biopsy due to the seve URQ pain I was having and the fact the theVicodin they gave mejust was not curbing the pain.  Three days later, and the CT, Ultra sound, MRCP, MRI, etc... were completed, they only found a small syst on the pancreas and nothing remarkable about the liver., which of course was my fear.  

After having said all of that it has been about a month and a half since my hospital visit and the constant mild URQ pain throughout the day is always present.  The early evening pain gets a little worse an laying down on my back or left side does seem to help.  The stabbing pains occur without notice and as said above, they have taken me to the floor in a fetal position because of the severity.  Pain meds do help, but what am I masking????  I would really like to know the cause of this consistant pain, as I am sure all of us here would.  I have joined the community and look forward to reading on and hopefully learning from each othe what we can possibly do to get the proper diagnosis and get on the road to a proper recovery
Oh, wanted to add, from my last post, 15-20 minutes ago, that Like others, I have had some tingling fingers and numbness on my upper extremeties.  I thought this was pretty weird since I have never had thse issues before.  My feet tend to fall asleep as well if I position my self wrong, but I figured that was normal too, and it might be but It does seem so happen a lot quicker that it used to.  I just wanted to add that since others are having similar symptoms, especially in the pinky finger numbness which I get frequently, mostly in my right arm and fingers
Went to ER pain was so bad in right side around lower rib. Got x-rayed got Scanned MRI the works even a shot of Morphene. Doctors found nothing. I  was prescribed vicodin and muscle relaxants. Thinking I pulled a muscle in that area for Tai Chi. Vicodin makes me sick to my stomach relaxants’ did not help. Pain is worse at night time. I just got over shingles and took antibiotics for this. So I did some  internet research.
I started walking a lot, morning and early evening. (walk standing still whatever but, move)  I sit too much anyway working in an office. I started on Raw Fermented unpasturized SouerKraut (health food store) and took 3 -4 pills a day of over the counter probiotics (not just one a-day as on label) ."Solaray" Multidophilus is one brand.  My life changed in 2 days.  The pain is gone during the day.  Just a little bothersome at nite time.  I expel gas constantly but, this may be just intestines unable to function normally do to no digestive bacteria…oh and I am drinking herbal tea called “Tension Tamer” and slugging down a cup or two of prune juice. Just simple things to aid the guts to work properly. Bad food, antibiotics no exercise, immune system not working good. Who knew it could cause just pain in my right side lower rib area.
Hi I have been having the same pains, they are unbearable at times, and tired from lack of sleep, due to the pains, thinking it was everyhting under the sun,  woried to go to the doctor after reading a lot of  the messages, but I did go and happy i did, as I have now found out what all this pain is under the right rib right through to my back, it is shingles, I can hardly touch the skin as so painful, but the worse pain is the inner pain,  but the doctor knew before she even looked at the area, then when she did she foung a small   rash about the size of my thumb nail, so now on meds, hoping it does ntot spread,  so if your doctor does not know what it is next time ask him to check you for shingles
This is crazy that so many people have this pain/symptoms & no dr can seem to figure it out!
I am a 32 year old woman who has had constant symptoms for over 5 months. I have seen my primary dr, 2 GI specialists, have had a CAT scan, Ultrasound, X-rays, HIDA scan and so much bloodwork and everything is normal. I have been given a diagnosis of IBS, acid reflux and bad diet. Last week I had to go to the ER because of excruciating back pain. They did an x-ray (which was fine) and gave me Percocet for pain.
It is crazy how the pain controls your life. I am hoping that someone soon will be able to figure this out and we will all get a sense of relief!
Becy you very well could have sod but most GIs are not experienced enough to diagnose it.  The best thing is to find a specialist who deals with sod so you can get checked for it. Many of us have had to travel to other states to find specialists since there are only a handful in the us.  I went to Dr Cotton at MUSC in SC.  In the mean time you can get your liver levels tested a few hours after an attack to see if they are elevated.  This can be a symptom of sod.  Also chronic pancreatitis can cause this pain.  It often will not show up on CT and an eus procedure by a very qualified doctor is needed to diagnose it.
Having the same problem. There is so many people on here with the pain. I have gone thru all the test and scans to and nothing. The pain got so bad I ended up in the er 3 times in the last 4 weeks. The first time was the worst. And had a fever of 13 with it. Everyday I have pain sometime bad other times not so much. But the Doc won't give me any thing for the pain until they know whats causing it. Not liver, not gallbladder, or the bile duct. Have had it all tested. Wish someone had the answer.
Hi, I thought I was going crazy!  I have been having the pain in my upper right rib cage area for a long time now.  I mentioned it to my PMD, and he then said that it was probably after I had my kids (that floating rib thing) and blew me off.  I was then like "what does it do, then just hang around" and I didn't really get an answer.  He only prodded my rib area and blew me off.  Strange thing is I specifically remember that it all started while PG with my first son and that he loved to put his feet in my ribs and twist and kick like crazy.  He was the same when he was born, doc said he had one hell of strong legs.  I ended up having huge sciatic problems with my leg and back with my son and these did not get better until he was being born and he moved off the nerve during delivery (I even had back labor with him that about killed me).  The  with my second child, I remember the back and leg issues again immediately, but not having her foot and the pain in the ribs again.  It was shortly after her birth that I remember having a stitch in my ribs and pain, especially with certain movements.  Now I have fallen 2 more times (probably about 5 times in all) and have huge back issues with a dislocated disc at L5-S1 and huge sicatic leg issues for years now.  I know that my whole spine and back and hips and just about everything are tilted to one side.  I have two special needs kids, and no support to get anything done with the back at present.  But, the question I have here (I totally have the exact same symptoms you all claim) is that recently in the last couple months things are progressing and I am scared and in increasing pain.  The pain is still in the right side.  But, now I am getting a lot of the same thing happening in the left side too.  Has anyone had this happen?  The right hurts, like the devil and catches and is intense until it will release.  But, the left feels like it is swollen (such as the right) and it feels strange.  I tell my husband, that when I sit down or lean against pillows it feels like our sons foot is in there again (early on I kept relating it to the feeling of butterflies (they told me that when I was PG, and the example really was very close to the baby moving) and now I tell him it feel like Rodents running around and pushing and tugging at my insides while I'm sitting there.  There is pressure, movement and what the hell is happening.  Someone please tell me I am not crazy.  This hurts like crazy, and I am scared.  I think I will go again and try to push him to look into it.  But, we have so much medical with the kids, and then I have to demand someone watch them so that I can go.  If he says it has to do with my back, it won't get any tx then as I can't even make it to PT to help with that again.  Sorry, but this is all crazy!!  looking for your ideas and support.   Thanks for listening!  
I have noticed the pain on my right side starting on my left as well. Not as bad but still some pressure in the area.
I just saw my GI today for my follow up and he said that he is stumped-they did all the tests and they were all negative-so he is sending me to an Orthopedic specialist because he thinks it is related to my back/spine. He called it something that it may be but I forget because I was in such a daze. I just want answers & relief!!
I am 5 weeks post gallbladder removal and the RUQ pain has increased.  I am a long distance runner and was cleared to run 2 weeks ago.  I ran once at 3 weeks post op and could only go 1.75 miles because the pain became so intense.  I waited until 2 days ago to try again and I ran 2.4 miles and had to stop.  I did try running again the next day but only made it 1.73 miles and yesterday the pain lingered all day long.  Today it is much worse.  I have taken otc pain meds with no relief.  It is even starting to effect my appitite.  I am supose to start my 12 week training for a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks and I can't even make 2.5 miles!  It feels like a bad side ache while running and just intensifies after I stop!
No good news here, I'm afraid. After many weeks in constant pain, my GI doc prescribed Viokase 16 thinking that the problem may be related to inadequate pancreatic function? After researching the condition, I don't know what to think? AND, this particular "drug" is not available in any of our local pharmacies. Seems it was taken off the market pending FDA approval because it is enzyme-related and therefore up until a few years ago, was not regulated properly?(whatever that means???????) I don't have much confidence in the FDA for many reasons (i.e. all of the recalls and issues related to FDA approved drugs such as Accutane, Zoloft, etc. many, many others.) Walgreens said they could get the prescribed med, but it makes me wonder what our health care system/government is doing to impede our care?? Meanwhile, I'm at the point of surrender. I do not want to live like this.
Could it be related to the mouth. I have the same symptoms and have a root canal on my left upper side toward the front. That whole side of my mouth hurts as well as ringing in my left ear. My ruq pain is dull and I was sure it was my gallbladder. Ultrasound showed some sludge. Sometimes the pain is by my appendix, but mostly around my gallbladder. I am just trying to connect anything that could be causing this. Another idea is the possibility of nano particles from make-up or mercury filling parts lodged into the organ. I know it sounds far fetched. The doctors can't seem to come up with any better ideas.
I'm amazed to have found so many of you with symptoms like mine.  

I'm a 51 year old male. Healthy. Never had surgery. I am on one prescribed med - a PPI for gastric reflux that I began taking last summer.

For years I have experienced dull local pain emanating from underneath ribs 7 & 8 below my shoulder blades. At first it bothered me when i stayed in hotels - and I blamed the mattress. Then it began bothering me at home whenever I stayed in bed longer than 6.5 hours.

It would be relieved within a half hour of getting out of bed. But lately it has remained and can spasm. I can get no relief and it affects my sleep. I have no nausea or indigestion.

Two weeks ago I began cardio workouts - eliptical and lightweight dumbbells. I annoyed my right shoulder by overdoing push ups. I wonder if that's related.

I am glad to have learned so much from you about your course of treatment. I will be an informed medical consumer when I schedule a MD appointment.

Question: It seems that no one who has posted has experienced relief.Is this so?
  - - T
I am a 39 yr old female who had gallbladder removal surgery last March and since that time have been having increasing upper rib pain.  At my 6 week check after surgery my gasto doc blew me off as having indigestion and had me take gas x.......the pain has only been getting worse.  I went to my PCP  in Nov and he said that I had iflamation in my rib joint and had a floater rib, take some steriods and antiflamatorties.  I am still no better only worse!  I went to the ER last week and they said that I had inflamation in my rib joint.  If I move wrong or have a bowl movement it is almost too much.  I am so tired of going doc to doc while my pain daily is getting worse and worse.  I am taking extra strength tylenols to get through the day.  any suggestions??? i am tired of the pain!!!
Well I have all of the above problems.  I am so fed up with the constant pain.  I go to sleep with it and wake up to it.  All day everyday.  I have lost my job do to this f----- problem.  I have had every test done in three different states.  I have come to realize that doctors are the highest paid guessers in the f------ world.  So sorry to all but dont reliey on them they will get you no where.  I designed a quick solution to all your stomach problems.  Just take a pill of fu-- itall and ask god for your forgiveness and kill yourself.  This seems to be the only way out of this problem.   so my family knows  love them and well see if this works
I got the aching ribs and pain in the liver area and into the back between shoulder blades around the begining of Feb. Mostly when lying down.The pain gets so bad I have to get up untill it goes away. When I do fall asleep it often wakes me up.Went to the DR had a CAT scan and blood test for liver, pancreas,ect. Everything looked normal.The CAT scan did show I have some curvature of the spine.I have no fever, no nausea,no diarhea,no constipation, just pain.The DR sent me for an xray of my spine, he said maybe it is pressing on something. The xray showed my spine is curved. He also showed me a large cloudy area and said the is all feces in there.I had a good BM that morning like every morning, I eat a lot of fiber, friut and vegtables and whole grains and could swear I'm not constipated. DR told me to get some Phillips Milk of Magnesia and take 2 tablespoons twice a day for 2-3 days. He said when your bowels aren't emptying it backs up and causes pressure when can cause pain.I started taking the PMOM Friday afternoon,Friday night a lot of pain.Sat night no pain.I stopped taking the PMOM Sunday morning because I go to work Sun night. It did cause diarhea but I always had plenty of time to get to a bathroom.My pain went away for 4 days. When it can back it was nowhere near as bad.Now that it is weekend I'm back on the PMOM and no pain.
I have the same left pinkie numbness! What is that? Is there a connection between URQ pain and the pinkie? Please advise.
I also have pain in the URQ as well as numbing that mainly affects my right leg that is so annoying.  I've had tons of blood work, ct scan, hida scan, ultrasound all pointing to "normal."  I'm trying to narrow it down to a full tummy tuck or my monthly cycle since it seems to vary in intensity.  Have any of you had a tummy tuck or tracked it with your cycle (if female of course)
I totally agree with you that alot of this IS stress related.  I have just started to have RUQ discomfort that radiates to my back.  Had my gallbladder out about 5 years ago, but I sware this feels just like that kind of pain.  
I am a highly intense individual and do alot of heavy moving and shifting of a handicapped client.  After reading several of these posts I have, at least for the moment, come to the conclusion that this is an irritated muscle issue brought on by work and stress, and is mimicking my gallbladder issues.  
The last thing on earth that I need is another PILL!  I will, of course, continue to monitor my symptoms, but I am also going to be making an appointment to see my massage therapist.  
I have had this pain since August with no relief. I used to be a mid-distance runner and each time I run I can last until I begin to get labored breathing and a few minutes later it turns into intense pain in the RUQ under my ribs - feels like the worst sidecramp ever and I have to stop immediately. If I run two days in a row or even every other day the pain starts earlier and I have to stop sooner. I have not had a pain free run in almost 7 months and its killing me. It also hurts to breath deeply 24/7, and pain comes when I am sitting, twisting, lifting things. It feels like there is a tennis ball wedged under my right rib cage, and hurts to palpate under the rib cage.

Dr thought I had costochondritis but NSAID's didnt help my pain. Then we tried a steroid inhalar as I was wheezing and it may have been exercise induced asthma or allergies exacerbated by my move to a new city with different allergens. I had my gall bladder out 4 years ago and the only remaining possible diagnosis from my internist is adhesions from my gall bladder surgery. I think it must be stress induced but I can't seem to make it better.
Rxx
Did you ever find out the cause of your pain or get any relief from it?  I have pain beneath both ribs and no one has been able to diagnose it.  Your answer if you get this please.
I have got rid of 90% of the pain.

Here's my story:

My original post in this thread dates back to May 20th, 2008. It's been almost 6 years that I've been looking for some remedy and sadly conventional medicine failed me miserably. Like most of you, I have had a whole array of time consuming and expensive tests done ranging from simple blood test to HIDA, ultrasound, and gastroscopy. Everything came back negative. At one time my family doc said my blood test results were the best they have had of any patient for years, quite ironic when you know something's not right.

I've had my gastrointestinal specialist drop my case because he reached the end of the road with my diagnosis and could not find what was wrong. I was on my own. But I didn't give up. I kept leading a healthy life style, with a lot of physical activities, gym several times a week, well balanced diet (or so I thought, more on this later), yet no break with the pain.

As it's been almost 6 years and no hope for a remedy, I accepted the fact that I have to live with it and got used to it to the point of almost not noticing it most of the time. Then it got worse during the 2010 Holidays. For couple of months I stopped going to the gym and ate more then ever, what made me bulk from about 175lb to 190lb in about 3 months. I didn't stress about it too much because I knew I would be back in the gym sooner or later and the gain will be taken care of.

But meanwhile something interesting happened to me that gave me a clue about the possible source of the pain. One day, out of the blue, in 5 minutes I went from fully mobile to lying flat on the bed unable to move because of a severe back pain. First I thought it was a sudden kidney infection pain, since it was located right between kidneys and radiating to the right and left side. The next day my doctor rulled out the kidney infection because I had no other symptoms besides the paralizing back pain. The night before the doctor visit, I had the whole upper right quadrant spaz uncontrolably for periods of time. Almost as if someone was yanking on the nerves causing the muscles to of the whole URQ ab area to contract. It just happened that the URQ was on the same horizontal plane as the source of the back pain I had. I told my doctor about it, and he immidiately wrote me a referal to a local chiropractor.

The chiropractor diagnosed me with a very mild "S" shaped scoliosis, and coincidentally the lower bent is exactly in the spot where the pain originated. The most possible explanation is a spine subluxation, which pinches the major nerve root coming out of the spine that feeds signals to the whole upper right quandrant. Hence the muscle spazing and the long term pain.

I have gone to so far six chiropractor sessions. Each one of them consisted of spine alignment, deep tissue massage, and electrical stimulation. Spine alignment is okay, once you feel comfortable with being peacefully tortured. The deep tissue massage was a very painful the first two sessions, later it felt great, and I couldn't wait until the next session. The electrical stimulation is a 15 min long therapy with electrical impulses being delivered to the pain areas via pads that stick to the skin. It's quite an experience but it's very relaxing afterwards.

In general the chiropractor has helped with about 50% of the pain. I achieved reducing the remaining pain by changing my diet. Before, due to my high activity levels and hours spent in the gym, I was on basically a "see-food" diet. I saw it, I ate it. Most of the calories came from proteins and carbs, with some healthy fats here and there. I thought that was the way to do it, that's what I was being thaught by the mass media and the government.

The real change came when I switched to low-carbs diet. Most people will associate it with Atkins, and that's exactly what it is with the only difference being that I do a slight modification of that diet called 'targeted keto diet' or TKD. Atkins or any low-carbs diet is good for an average person, keto is for anyone involved in vigirous physical activities.
Changing my diet has been one of the best decisions I have made about my health in all of my life. A bit of discomfort is still there once in a while, I guess it'll take time to heal and regenerate, I feel great, energetic, I'm losing fat like crazy, and best of all I enjoy some of the best tasting meals ever.

More info about subluxations for that specific area of the spine:
http://www.echiropractic.net/nclumbars.htm
Thank you for sharing your story.
My URQ pain began with two distinct and extreme bouts of nausea a week apart and then progressively has gotten worse from Aug of 2010 until the present April 2011. Diagnosed as Gallstones at first, then as an ulcer and now an Abdominal Strain.  I've been working on all of these over this period of time. My blood work has been stellar, my CT Scan came back with mild degeneration of the spine (most likely normal for my 58 years). I don't have a lot of money right now to explore more testing.  I just began to work on Physical Therapy to strengthen my core and that has helped some but I have more questions than answers. My physical Therapist told me that most general  medical doctors really know very little about the muscular skeletal system and it's disorders and that makes sense that they concentrate more on internal issues. I think more of the folks here should consider muscular skeletal options. Perhaps a sports medicine doctor, a Chiropractor (where you were helped), a physical therapist or even massage therapist could really help folks who are dealing with URQ pain..  Those are directions I am going to explore.  I was sure mine was an internal problem,  but now I am not so sure. I do think I worried my ulcer into existence. Been under a lot of stress for the past two years.That is certainly a factor as stress causes so many health issues.  I also may have unknowingly set off the ulcer. Being a Vegetarian and then Vegan with a very clean diet I mistakenly began taking too high a dose of digestive enzymes with HCL and pepsin. If my acid levels were already adequate or even high that could have caused a stomach lining ulcer. Not sure, that is just one of my thoughts.    A good clean diet  (quality fresh, local, organic) whether or not it includes animal products or not, should concentrate on raw and whole not overcooked and processed foods. Green Veggie Juicing is another thing that has greatly improved my health. Other than my strange URQ pain I am in good shape and have good energy.   My only problem is that I tend to concentrate on my pain and that depresses me from time to time.  I have a very low tolerance for pain- It's is odd that my twin brother has an extremely high (really dangerous)  tolerance for pain. Many of my friends and probably my doctors as well must think I am a hypochondriac, but I know that is not true as I would so love not to be in pain. I don't care what they think.  This is real and sometimes I don't think I can take it anymore. I don't take pain meds ( Vicodin )  very often maybe once to three times a month (hate taking them- hard on the liver and I don't like how they make me feel)  but I have become rather Dependant on 1/2 to 1 mg of Ativan (Lorazepam) to be able to sleep at night and I have heard that it is very addictive.So that concerns me.   I also have faith that leads me to believe that God has a purpose for my suffering - not that he 'causes' it in any way but that He is using it for my blessing. A hard concept to get your mind around. If you have not believed in Jesus Christ as mankind's connection to God don't even try to go there. Jesus said, "I am the Way, The Truth, and the Life and no man comes to the Father except by me."  My relationship with Him is my life and this life with all it's joys, sorrows and pain is only a short space of time. Lots of good emotional and spiritual growth has been taking place because of my pain. I know that without this pain in my life I would not be growing like I have and for that I am grateful. I am just in need of a vacation from the pain from time to time. I have been improving and some mornings now I am not in pain until the afternoon or even the evenings.  
I am into alternative health but know there is a place for allopathic medicine as well. I do agree with the Hippocrates quote, "If you are not your own doctor, you are a fool." and think folks should be pro active if they want healing. Allopathic, conventional medicine mostly deals with controlling symptoms with drugs. Perhaps that is were the money is and perhaps it is a lost cause for doctors to think about trying to encourage folks to live healthier lives. We all just want to take a pill and feel better in the moment.

It is helpful and encourageing to hear others stories - again thank you for sharing yours.

Some of the symptoms you are describing are consistent with coeliac disease, which is yet another of those things that unless you have the classical symptoms i.e. weight loss and diarrhoea, doctors immediately rule out. I am coeliac and was recently diagnosed after an absolute odyssey and a lot of bloody-mindedness but I had none of the typical symtoms except pain, bloating and bulky, floating stools. I actually gained a lot of weight on a low calorie diet, which is not uncommon in coleic disease. I also have the URQ pain, which is not being taken seriously as the docs are assuming it is the coeliac and my intestines are not healed, but I am pretty damn sure it is a different pain and is triggered by fat.

I am very interested in the sphincter or oddi thing as my brother started with chronic pancreatitis at the age of 40, I am 48 this year and feel like I am going absolutely crazy. I guess most of you are Americans, I am a Brit  living in Germany but it seems to be a case of same old, same old with doctors wherever you are.
don't give up; i'm still looking for answers; i will get there yet.  still always in pain and discomfort in upper right = large intestine, but a lot better than what it was 4 years ago.  lots of cleansing of colon, then gall and para; lots of colonics and enemas.  vinegar helps cleanse also.  cure zone has some remedies.  lots of love and luck to us all.
It is amazing I stumbled across this forum!  I was up again last night because I couldn't sleep.  For the past 6-8 months I have very similar URQ pain.  It is a pain that is hard to describe to a Dr.  It feels like a pinch, a twisting, a crampy, mildly burning, muscular type pain but even that doesn't describe it perfectly.  The pain is always there.  At times it seems more dull than others, almost so I don't notice it.  Other times, like last night, its strong and evident.  Its located on the upper right side, just under my lower ribs.  I did have my Gallbladder out in 1997.  In 2005, I began having pain again, very similar to the pain I was having with gallstones in 97.  I found out through tests that either gallstones were left behind during my original surgery, or they formed later.  In June of 2005, I went back in for surgery and 3 gallstones the size of marbles were removed from my small intestine.  All my issues at that time were resolved.  As I mentioned before I started having this pain in my URQ 6-8 months ago.  In the spot my gallbladder used to be. About 2 months ago I went to my Dr.  He took a chest x-ray and told me I had a lot of gas/feces in my intestines and needed to be cleaned out so to speak. When I saw the x-ray, and saw where my gallbladder used to be, there looked liked a TON of little marks, like a bunch of staples if you will, like over a hundred.  I dont know if this is possible scar tissue but I wished I had asked my Dr.  He told me to take Dulcolax, two pills a day for two days. Then take Miramax for 7 days and drink plenty of water.  Well I did this, and it seemed to get better for awhile. Not totally gone, but very tolerable and improved. But this past week it's back and the pain is strong.  I have had no other tests done yet but I am going back to the Dr this week hopefully.  I do have issues with constipation, but no bloody or tarry stools. No fever, no vomiting. No pain underneath my shoulder blades although this pain does at times radiate around to my side.  I am under immense stress right now.  I am tired a lot of the time which scares me that it is something bad.  But I am under stress, and depressed so I wonder if the fatigue is directly related to that. One thing interesting is the post I came across listing scoliosis.  I, too, have minor scoliosis and hadn't thought about my spine causing the possible issue. I will mention this to my Dr.  I have wondered if my liver is possibly inflamed because it sometimes feels like a mild burning sensation, but then again, it is hard to describe the exact pain and as I have been going out with my friends a lot, and we social drink, is what made me wonder about the liver being irritated.  I am 37 years old.  I do not smoke and I am not obese or overweight although I think I could stand to lose 5-10 pounds, I do not really have a  weight issue.  My diet although isn't the best.  We eat out too often and I wonder if I am consuming too much junk. Because I got laid off from work, I have been way too inactive. I intend to start working out again and get back into better shape. I also don't drink enough water, which may be leading to the constipation issue.  My diagnosis is this...getting older just *****! :D  This forum has been so helpful, mainly because now I know I am not alone in my frustration of not understanding why or what this possibly is.  I am sure I am in for quite the round of tests and I pray we find something that is causing it, and that it is not life-threatening.  I wish you all the best of luck and God be with you.
This forum is really awesome and provides a lot of insight. I also have this URQ pain which started around January. Prior to the occurrence of the URQ, I experienced a ripping pain down the center of my abdomen right under the navel. I though it was some form of hernia but there was no bulge that formed. I underwent Ultrasound and found that the mid-line site was totally clear of any hernia or soft tissue protrusion, although, what the sonologist found was a polyp on the gallblader measuring 0.6cm and gallstones that cannot be ruled out. The report only indicates that soft lithiasis are found, but gallstones can't be ruled out. A week after, the midline pain was gone but then it was replaced by stabbing pain in the URQ. Intense pain 8/10 can last for 1-3 minutes and then will be replaced by dull pain 4/10, this cycle repeats all throughout the day. My husband thinks I'm only acting up to gain attention. But the persistence of this URQ pain really frightens me. I don't want to think, I'll wake up in a few months and doctors will find a stage four carcinoma when they couldn't find any problem at this early moment. Doctor suspected it may be muscular but knowing how muscular pain can be,you can always expect some form of relief by bending and stretching the side muscles but the stabbing pain remains there no matter what position I do. The doctor gave me no medication and just advised me to drink more water and avoid oily foods. I underwent a second Ultrasound this April and the gallstones still cannot be ruled out. The polyp seems to have shrunk in size but this may be attributed to having a different angle during the repeat scan. I underwent diet changes and avoid eating oily foods totally. But still pain was on and off. It's been three months now. Though I'm not sure whether I have gallstones, I researched that grape or apple juice helps. So 1st week of April I started drinking concentrated grape juices and I was pain free every time I consumed the drink. Pain is gone for two-three days and even if I consumed something fried there is no pain at all. I experimented and stopped drinking the juice and soon after the sharp pain returns. As of the moment, it seems that the only relief I've had can be obtained from drinking a concentrated grape juice.
My pain is sporadic.  It comes and goes, sometimes lasts a few hours sometimes as long as a week. I'm a 22 year old female with a nearly 3 month old. It started when my son was only a month old. I have had ultrasounds x rays and nothing conclusive. they gave me pain meds and it didn't help. Heat seems to help but I'm worried it might be something more.
sounds like Crones disease
I feel the same thing about the inside, I told the doc it feels like something is like a big balloon in the inside pushing my ribs out.

I also had mine after a uti.
I wonder if you ever had a cystoscopy or if anybody has?

I have the same problem and no help right now. G.I doctor suggested I take ibs pills for a month and call back in a month.

Regular doctor gave me acid pills which now I am hungry and can eat.

But this is very painfull and irriating.
Hi everyone I am so glad to have found this website as it has provided a gate way of exploration- I must add that I am a nurse.

My pain started on christmas night- i was feeling lethargic that day but thought that it was just staying up later- @ 11 i had a wingding and instantly felt mind blowing pain- went to toilet coz i felt that the pain might be food poisoning but had no diarrohea- just constant INTENSE RUQ pain- that turned to pain in the rest of my abdomen but mainly intense in the RUQ just below/behind my last ribs- I took Endone and panadiene forte with no relief so my partner took me to the E.D- they gave me buscopan but that didnt really make the pain go away just lessened it- they d/c me home- an hour later after falling asleep from exhaustion- as i had been in E.D for 4 hours i woke up in EXTREME pain - worse than it was before i would rate it 20/10 in the pain score test- i felt like i couldnt breath and it hurt after deep breathing and after exhalation- In E.D it showed i was hypertensive and tachycardic- NO OPIOTES worked AT ALL- I was SCREAMING in pain moving around and uncomfortable the only place i tended to be in was lying left side foetal position. Soon after ALOT OF STRONG drugs was given- the pain finally settled- but i remained nauseas (no vomiting),
To cut a long story short i got it again soon after being d/c day after first incident the pain lasted 7 days- ranging from mild pain to MIND BLOWING pain, I have had a CT/Ultrasounds x4 - with nothing shown originally.

Then a week ago i got extreme pain again- again the above happened this time however they found i had a small cyst on my (r) ovary and queery PID- turns out i DONT have PID - as it was just inflamed from finishing my period and my cyst- is ovulation related and will go away during my cycle- i had all blood tests u can imagine- NOTHING- hep tests, infection, NOTHING. The drs originally thought it was my gall bladder- but CT and U/S was NAD- i had an endoscope for ulcers or inflammation- NOTHING. The dr's said- well we cant find anything- after being in hospital for 5 days i had another attack- the drs all came from different wards to discuss my condition- my pulse was over 160 my BP again hypertensive- i was hyperventilation from the pain coz as i mentioned before it felt like i couldnt breath- i was in pain this time for over an HOUR before the dr's came in- and do you know what they said? they said its psychosomatic- for those of you who arent medically knowledged basically there saying Its all in my head- im stressed or anxious and im making myself sick and in pain- i was NOT HAPPY at all i felt humiliated and angry- i had a psych review- im Sane :) ( i could of told them that!!-as a matter of fact i did) so back to the drawing board- this is when i came to this website and found someone mention acute intermittent porphyria- my mum had said she and all the women in her family have the same pain and have gone through tests and found nothing- (i had no idea until after my 5th attack) and all the symptoms MATCH in still currently in hospital now- Its been over a week- I told the dr- and even though its a VERY rare condition- after telling him about my family history he agreed to doing the test- (special test) so here i am waiting for the results- even though i dont want to have a genetic disease- i am HOPEING that this is it- the pain is Unbareable and Its NOT IN MY HEAD- my message is- dont let anyone tell you its in your head- i have questioned myself if this pain is real and i still do because of them questioning my sanity- but dont give up- even if its not that condition im not going to give up because i want to say to the drs- " just because you've done tests and cant find anything DOES NOT MEAN that my pain is not real and you should further investigate pain and treat patients rather than be annoyed that YOU cant figure it out- imagine MY PAIN and MY feelings with it" I urge you all to exhaust all avenues because its B*** sh*T the attitude drs give to us patients with "mystery diagnoses"- its a MYSTERY not a mental disease!!!