Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs
I too have upper right quad pain just below my ribs. I am a male, 46yrs old 6ft and weigh 175 lbs. My pain comes and goes and has for about 6 months. It is not severe pain, but at times is more annoying than anything. It feels like there is something in there pinching me. I went to an internal med MD in July. He ran blood tests that all came back fine. He sent me to have an abdominal ultrasound which showed only "healthy" organs. No dilated bile duct, no gall stones, liver enzymes were in normal range. It is 4 months later and the pain is still happening. When I sit, or bend at the waist, I can feel the pain. It is not a deep, internal pain, but seems close to the surface, just to the right of that little cartlidge/bone that splits the rib cage...just to the right of the stomach. What the heck could it be? My MD put me on Nexium, thinking maybe it is peptic in nature, but 60 days of Nexium and still the pain persists. I am freaking out because my dad passed away this past March due to a rare appendix cancer (pseudomixoma peritonei) that several MD's could not find, nor diagnose properly once they found it, another story in itself...so you know how the paranoia sets in. I don't have a lot of faith in MD's right now. Anyone out there have any input? Can the liver be screwed up for this long and still avoid being detected? Can inflamation be detected by ultrasound? It feels like it's burning, not like heartburn, but a firey sensation...hard to describe. Someone, please help me settle my fly away brain...thanks.
i dunno i havent been to the doctor yet, i was hoping i could get some info about it without going to the doctor.
We don't know what is wrong with us yet. What is it?

I read about Pseudomyxoma Peritonei, and I don't have those symptoms.. I'm anxious for my insurance to start though so I can get more tests done.

I was reading about all of the benefits of garlic and read that if you eat 3 cloves of garlic and drink it down with hot tea before bed it could kill bacteria and parasites and all kinds of bad stuff. So I tried it, and the next day I didn't have my usual pain under my rib. I always have the pain every day and if not during the day it ALWAYS starts at around 10pm, but yesterday the pain never came and I stayed up till 4am with no pain. I also got my parasite cleanse and started that today so I'll keep posting my progress.
you describe some symptoms I've been having for weeks now - to a "T". {Pain and pressure under right ribs, pain is mild and intermittant.) I've had same responses from MD's as well. I don't have much faith in medical community either. I can also relate to many of the responses from others posted here. I recently traveled 6 hours, each way, to see a "highly reguarded" specialist at a medical university as referred to by my local MD, only to be told, after a 5 minute Q @ A session, that I did not have a broken rib. I had kind of guessed that. The only thing broken in that exam room was the doc's broken English. (He was from Germany) Anything you learn, I'd be interested to hear about. Thanks and good luck.
Hi, I'm a 22-year-old female so this may help women...2 months ago I started using Nuvaring (and IUD for of birth control), during that time I've had two UTIs and pain on my right side (under my ribs and lower back) and just recently found out that it's most likely due to my birth control.  I go to my family doctor tomorrow (I'm overly paranoid when I don't feel well) but I took the ring out 2 days ago, and already feel somewhat better.  I've researched it a lot on the internet the past few days and have found that many women have issues with their gallbladder and liver from being on the ring.  I'll report back after my appointment tomorrow, but my OBgyn seems to think this was the problem.
I am also suffering from this same pain. I have had an ovarian cyst removed and my gallbladder removed in the last 4 months - and I still have the pain (yes, both needed to come out!) The HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was not functioning properly (17) and the cyst was about the size of a grapefruit. So, after all that the pain is still with me.
I have noticed that Splenda causes the right upper quadrant pain to be more severe. (I had a carbonated water with Splenda in it and thought I would have to go to the hospital the pain was so bad.) Since I have cut out Splenda (about a month now) the pain is now tolerable. They still don't know what is going on though - the OB/GYN says it is intestinal related and the gas doc says it is female related. Both say they took care of the problems the tests and scans showed. I'm about ready to slap them both! I also have pain from my belly button on down (both sides). It is tender to the touch, but this also seems to be getting better since I cut out Splenda. I think I am going to go to a different doctor and see what they say. No one seems to really want to help me out. A friend of mine has Celiac and she mentioned that I may want to get tested for that. When I mentioned this to the gas doc he looked at me funny. Like, "I'm the doctor here, I should know" type of look. I don't think he is really listening to me and my symptoms.
But, it is comforting to know I am not alone in this! I hope we all find an answer soon!!
Yes, damn doctors. I'm so mad at the last 5 doctors I've been to, western medicine has some serious flaws. Anyway... My pain has been gone for the entire week, after eating that garlic the pain hasn't come back! I've been eating more normal too and it hasn't come back. I really think it was bacteria or parasites or something, hopefully it will go away forever.
Okay gang.  I'm a newbie - of sorts, and have been having the same symptoms you complain of; however, I may have some help.  I have had a complete hysterectomy, and also my gallbladder has been removed.  I seem to get the pain later in the day and not infrequently after I have had something to eat or drink.  I must also wonder if any of you also are obese???  All help totally apperciated.
I am a 50 years old male. Very similar symptoms: pressure, not exactly pain, on the upper right quadrant abdomen, accompanying with bloating, and sore throat. I am going to have a endoscopy tomorrow, to make sure it is not the problem with the colon. I will post the result here.
Hi Everyone,

I just recently started experiencing similar right upper quadrant (RUQ) abdominal pain and came across your thread in my search for information on the Internet.  I did find an interesting and seemingly credible site that recommends various clinical and diagnostic parameters for the diagnosis of the etiology of RUQ abdominal pain: http://www.asge.org/nspages/practice/patientcare/97-right.cfm#sectionH

Basically, the recommended progression of testing should include the following:

1. History and physical
2. Laboratory evaluation
3. Ultrasound of right upper quadrant
4. Hepatobiliary scintigraphy
5. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
6. CT scan
7. ERCP with sphincter of Oddi manometry
8. Trial of therapy for irritable bowel syndrome/functional abdominal pain

I hope this helps.  Good luck to all.  I will check back in soon, especially if I can offer any more potentially useful information.
Just got back from the endoscopic test. Everything is perfectly normal in colon. Next check will be the CT scan.
I just can't understand with all these people having the same trouble and not one doctor knows anything.  I too am having the same exact same pressure under my rib on my left side also.  My pain has only been going on for about 2 weeks.  I sure wish some one could find some answers to help some of us that don't know what to do or where to start.  Its discouraging to go to doctors and spend all that money and find out no more than before we went.  Please help someone!!!
I have had the same thing for the last five years off and on.  Every test done AT FIRST...my doctors were baffled, but my Chiropractor picked up on it during a routine visit when I complained about it while having an adjustment.  He did an adjustment that put everything right back to "normal" in a couple of visits.  My GP was thrilled to hear this.  And took note of it. It's happening again now, and am making an appointment Monday to get it "fixed".  With me, it has to do with the bottom ribs on the right "poking" where they shouldn't.  I have notice the flare ups happening more and more because I use a laptop and twist my torso to type...throwing everything out of whack.  Hope this might help some.
Ok, so if the pain is on both sides or radiates to the back, it's probable that it's gallbladder disease or obstruction. If it's consistently on the right under the bottom ribs, it's likely stagnant bile, liver flukes or other parasites, or small duodenal ulcer (assuming all tests are "normal"). I think that my pain was probably caused by a small duodenal ulcer. They only went halfway into my duodenum during the endoscopy and they are also hard to detect. After eating 3 whole organic cloves of garlic chopped into pill sized bites, the pain was gone the next day and hasn't come back. (3 weeks ago). Garlic is a potent antibiotic. I also started a parasite cleanse the day after taking the garlic, and had been taking omega 3, vitamin c ascorbates and selenium supplements for a month prior. I also drank a few gallons of organic apple juice over about a month, and organic yogurt and kefir which promotes good bacteria. I also tried a chinese herbal tincture called gold coin grass, to break up any stones that could be in my gallbladder. I think that my problem was excess acid mixed with bad bacteria that caused an ulcer that caused the pain. The excess acid was because of my gastritis, and the gastritis I think was caused by a hyperactive thyroid. I have a really fast metabolism and a sore throat that's lasted the past 8 months. My gastritis and my throat are still bothering me, so I'm going to start taking siberian pine nut oil for the gastritis and any ulcers, and lots of broccoli to calm the thyroid. And I'll minimize iodized salt intake, it will cause you to have a hyperactive thyroid!

Also, anyone with this pain should go on a diet. No processed meats, red meat, pork, fried foods, cheese or mushrooms. Chicken breast and salmon are very good and organic yogurt because the enzymes are really good. No cold drinks and avoid beer. When it's hurting put a hot compress on the area, it might help, it helped me. Also try to minimize stress.

I'm now taking omega 3, 6 and 9, vitamin c ascorbates with msm, selenium, mastic gum to protect and heal the gi tract, and aloe vera to help with digestion and acid control. I will soon be taking siberian pine nut oil also. The great thing is that these aren't drugs, they are natural vitamins, nutrients and enzymes that the body utilizes to function properly.
Wow. Same symptoms here. Started 6 months ago. Before that, I always had lower right "gas" pains, constipation, loose stools, extremely large stools followed by small narrow stools, and general bloating and discomfort. 6 months ago I discovered high protein bread (lots of gluten). After a few sandwiches, the upper right pain started, along with all the rest above and new stuff like foul smelling, greasy and green stools. I cut out gluten, but the pain under the right lower ribs remains, alternating from a dull ache to a sharp pain, and a feeling that my entire ascending colon is spazing out. I told my doctor about it last week at my annual physical, he refered me to a specialist for a colonoscopy. I am 43, with an aunt and grandparent who had colon cancer, but parents are still clean. Not sure what to do, but I will know more after the consultation on 1/31.
Thought I would share my stomach issues with everyone, maybe something can help you. I am a 32 year old woman. I had a baby by c-section 13 months ago. 5 weeks later I started having severe back pain. The pain got worse and movedto my stomach. I was admitted to the hospital and had hida scan, ultrasound, catscan,x-ray,colonoscopy and endoscope. All were perfect except for some gastritis.

I was sent home on Flagyl after a weeks stay and felt better for about a month. Pain returned and I was re admitted. They removed my gall bladder and found that is was diseased, non-woking and had the beginning formation of gallstones even though ALL TESTS WERE NEGATIVE.

I felt better for about a month and the stomach pain returned. I was told I had IBS. The pain gets unbearable. I had a IUD put in 4 months after my surgery (I note
this because of the girl who spoke of the IUD). I continue to see Dr's and was sent to a Hemotolgist. I have been tested for the following which were all negative but you might want to check into

Proforua (spelling),Chron's,Celeaic Disease, Auto Immune,Genic and Leukemia's all negative. I have been Iron defecient the whole time and always have elevated liver enzymes.

My gastro dr is gettig ready to knock me out to do the camera pill to check further. I wasn't able
t0 swallow it. I now have have pain under my right rib. I am as annoyed as the rest of you and would like a normal life with my husband and child.
Well, I am really amazed.  I tried the garlic remedy (I took a supplement as I could not face the raw stuff), selenium, cut out red meat totally, and after 2 weeks I am pain free for the first time since last September.  I hope it keeps up.  This is after I have spent so much money on doctor's appointments and tests that all came back negative.
My test follow-up: CT scan on abdomen and pelvis came out all normal. I am wondering what I should check next. The symptoms are on and off. But when putting the mind to the RUQ area, always feel something there.
By reading all the comments in this thread, I guess I should admit the fact that not all symptoms have their explaination, and go live with them...
Like everyone else I have been having right upper quadrant pain for years that seems to be worse when I sit for long periods in the car, and when I stand up and play the guitar and sing. I had a endoscope done yesterday and I have gastritis and duodenitis, As a teenager I developed this same pain and also drank 6 to 12 diet cokes a day. After quitting the DC and taking Zantac it slowly went away, then I got on a major health kick that lasted over 10 years and I didn't have a problem until 4 years ago when I started drinking DC again and mixing rum with it (and daily coffee too). I suspect that most of the previous entrys have some sort of gastritis, ulcer, duodenitis etc, and many are not telling the whole truth or lying to themselves. This comes down to what we eat and drink. Are you drinking coffee?, soda?, mass amounts of food? drugs (painkillers or other street drugs?) I know many want to continue on a path of destruction while looking for a magic pill or surgery that will make there addictions possible, but friends please listen, wake up and examine your life!  You just might not be able to handle as much coffee,soda,acidic-fatty food, alcohol or Drugs like alot of people can. I do have an amazing old time cure that will help ALL OF YOU THAT TRY IT, but I pray that you make serious life changes with food and drink and get on the right path. That being said here's what my 15 years of research experimentation taught me. FLAX SEED SOLUTION- this is an old home remedy that really works if you drink it everyday on an empty stomach. Bring a gallon of water to a boil then turn off the heat. Pour in 1 to 2 cups of WHOLE FLAX SEEDS-NOT FLAX MEAL. and just stir and let the mix come to room temp while stirring every 30 min or so. When it is cool, place a small hole strainer over a large mixing bowl and pour thru the strainer (the mix will be very thick and gelatinous) use a spoon or whisk to beat the seeds in the strainer to get more liquid in the bowl. When you can get no more liquid out of the seeds funnel the liquid from the bowl into a gallon jug and put in the fridge to get cold (the gooey flax seed mass is a wonderful moisturizer for the face, hands etc). As many times a day as possible just take 3 or 4 swigs from the jug, preferrably on an empty stomach. After 1 to 3 gallons you should be feeling much better. The other wonder cure for all things gastrointestinal is deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) chewable wafers. This is a MUST as well. Third-buy a juicer and juice carrot and apple (it might sound funny but it's delicious) , over ice it is my favorite drink in the world. and so healthy. I lost over 150 lbs juicing a pound of carrots and apples a day for almost 2 years. I would include a half a beet sometimes and other veg as well. But for pure taste carrot and granny smith apple rules. I submit that if you commit to juicing almost daily your life will most certainly change, the live enzymes you will be getting will bring you back to life. So get busy. There's much more I could tell you but I gotta drink my flax jello. take care and God bless you all.....