Gastroenterology Community
Able to pass gas but no stool.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Able to pass gas but no stool.

For the past few months I've only been passing soft or watery stools. Lately I haven't been able to pass stool at all. If I strained really hard I could pass a very small gray/clay-like stool. This went on for 2 days, when I called my doctor and they suggested I try Docusate Sodum stool softener, and a glycerin suppository. I went 3 times over the next day, 1 was watery, 1 was diarrhea with a bunch of round pellets in it, Took a second dose of stool softener, and the last one was soft, small, and semi-normal consistency. I don't feel like I went very much at all. There has never been any blood in the stool. After the last movement that was semi-normal, I thought things were fixed, but today it's back to where I can't force anything out. And I took the stool softener (and lots of water) again. I strained, and strained, almost to the point of passing out, felt like something almost came out, but had to go in and manually remove a small popcorn shaped piece. This is all I could force out. I feel like the normal motions of inducing a bowel movement is taking place, but nothing is coming out.

I felt inside with a finger, and couldn't find any further stool, so I'm not sure if it's in impaction. I have had nearly constant moving gassy pains all around my abdomen. It feels like there's something there but it just will not pass. After a few hours of this "gassy pain" I am able to pass gas (and quite a bit of it), but I have to strain slightly even to get this to pass.

The doc also suggested I use magnesium citrate if the above didn't work. I mean I did pass some stool, but it was nothing really consistent, especially considering the amount of food I normally eat.

Should I try the magnesium citrate? I'm worried that I'll take it and end up with more discomfort if It doesn't dislodge or pass around the blockage, due to my intestines filling with water. I've heard people suggest taking fiber supplements, but I've also read that it can actually make an impaction/blockage worse. I eat very little fiber. I'm generally a meat & potato's kind of guy.

Also, I have no insurance. Would I be able to contact a gastroenterologist directly, or would I have to get a referral from a Primary Doc? What does an average gastro visit cost, assuming it might involve a colonoscopy?