Gastroenterology Community
Abnormal LFTs and Lipid Profile
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Abnormal LFTs and Lipid Profile

I am 24 years old male and due to alot of study and now at my job I have been unable to do exercise properly.
My weight is 77kg and height is 5ft 7inch. BMI = 26.9

Some of my family members felt I my color has faded yellow so I did the below blood tests:
----------------------------
Liver Function Test:
----------------------------
Total Bilirubin                    :    2.6 mg/dL   Normal : 0.2 to 1.1
SGOT (AST)                     :    55 IU/L        Normal : 9 to 40
SGPT (ALT)                      :    115 IU/L      Normal : 5 to 50
Alkaline Phosphate            :    117 IU/L      Normal : 40 to 140
===============

-----------------------------
Lipid Profile:
-----------------------------
Total Cholestrol              :  201 mg/dL       Normal : upto 200
Triglycerides                  :  167 mg/dL       Normal : 150 to 200
HDL                              :  36                   Normal : more than 36
LDL                               :  132                 Normal :less than 150
===============

I am also a smoker, now I am worried will these effect my body badly. One more thing I have been not been much in sunlight since the past 2 months, as I have night shifts and evening shifts and sleep during the day.
I would like to include I have been having high ALT since long now, about 7 years and I really am fed up with all this. I have visited many doctors and have done ultrasounds and ECGs. All say fatty liver. I have been on medication many times but they never really help, in fact ruin everything.

6 years back a doctor put me on antibiotics (Augumentin 625mg) with some other medicines and it went on for 2 months or so, at the end I didnt feel good but felt rather bad. After that increase in my weight started to rise.

What can I do to normalize these values, and will weight loss be a major factor.
What diet would you suggest and should I use any medication or rely on the diet.
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Though the liver function tests appear to be deranged, further investigations would be required in the situation to identify the primary cause and suggest a management plan. Though the BMI is slightly high, it is unlikely to be the primary cause of the deranged LFT, though weight reduction may be helpful. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by a haepatologist and depending on the primary cause identified, a management plan can be drafted accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979