Gastroenterology Community
Ache in right side of abdomen after drinking

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a female college student and have drank for a few years (I'm a senior).  I used to be able to drink fairly heavily for my size and gender, maybe 4 or 5 drinks in a night, without any repercussions.  I was diagnosed with mono and didn't drink for a year after that.  Now when I drink heavily (between 4-7 drinks in a night), I occasionally get an aching pain on my side -- on the far right (not at all near the sternum), just below my ribcage. It typically lasts about half a day, but today it has lasted all day.  Is my body trying to warn me to ease off on the alcohol or is it a more serious problem? If I drink moderately it is not a problem.  (I am trying not to panic and assume the worst because I have been drinking for a relatively short amount of time, but I am going to reduce my drinking because it's not worth the stress and ache later.)  I don't want my liver to fall out or my pancreas to explode!  

Thanks for reading! It's so great to have a community like this, especially around the holidays when my doctor's on vacation.
Also: the ache is sometimes accompanied by nausea.  I have only thrown up while I experience the ache once (today).  Not sure if a fever goes with it; our house is heated more than usual right now which tends to put my temperature up anyway.  The ache ranges in intensity from about a 1 to a 5 on a pain scale.  It does not radiate and sometimes it feels better if I move around/stretch; sometimes feels better and sometimes feels worse if I lie down.  Thanks!