GASTROENTEROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Acid reflux/Heartburn wont go away after Nexuim
by zestyclean, Jan 24, 2007
I am 23 years old and weigh 105lbs, for a year now I have been having acid reflux and heartburn everytime I eat and even when I haven't eaten. I also become nauseous and feel very full even if I only eat 3 bites of food. I went to the docter and she gave me Nulev for the nauseousness, it worked for awhile, but i still couldnt eat alot and I started get a pain on my left side below my rib cage. I went back the docter and she did nothig. Finally last month i was just getting worse to were I can only eat a handful of food and I was never feeling hungry I never had hunger pains. I had acid reflux very bad and threw up once. I went to the doctor and she sent me to have a upper GI. She said that the upper GI showed I had horrible acid reflux and to start taking 40mg Nexuim twice a day for a week. After a week I still felt the same, The only change was a actually had hunger pains but i still was naseous and had acid reflux/heartburn. She then put me on Carafate three times a day. That made me more naseous and the pain on my left side worse and move towards the middle of my chest, so i stopped taking it. It has been 3 weeks on nexium 2x a day and i seem to be getting worse. My docter decided to do a ultrasound to see if it was my gallbladder, but it came back normal. I have had heartburn 3 days straight after that and I have been trying to get a hold of my docter to see what to do next. She never calls me back. I am so sick of being sick, i just want to be able to eat. People are telling me to get a HIDA scan, could this be my gallbladder even with no pain on right side
Member Comments (12)
by PikaPika88, Jan 24, 2007
I'm on Nexium 40mg twice a day and Zantac 150mg before bed.  It was before the gastroscopy.  Dr said Nexium must be work well.  The gastroscopy showed reflux (Grade 1).  She asked me continue taking that for 2 months.  

After one week of the gastroscopy, my reflux worse and Nexium is not working!  Has the pain in upper and lower abdomen, roll on the bed, crying....  Finally, I called her but she didn't return the call.  Her receiptionist returned the call and said.....

Take 2 Nexium each time and twice a day.  Plus some Mucaine think liquid to heal the lining of the stomach.  Is it too much?  

My symptoms are nausea, dizzy, SOB, sweat, tummy blowing up and a lot of gas.  I also have a few bite and feel very tire.  

Let me know how you go and what treatment is given by your doctor?  I feel so hopeless and depress!  You take care

by justlookingforanswers, Jan 24, 2007
I'm sorry that you have been feeling so horrible lately--I hope everything works out for you and you feel better soon.

I just wanted to say that when I started have LEFT sided chest pain and after a huge amount of cardiac tests the next place my doc sent me was the GI doc.  They did an ultrasound of the gallbladder and then a HIDA scan.  Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it (still having unexplained chest pain), it was normal.  I know of however, 3 women who presented with left sided chest pain only and it ended up being the gallbladder.  One of the women was a nurse and she said it happens a lot.  

I wish you quick answers and good health.
by yoshi, Jan 24, 2007
nexium and prilosec are similar,prevacid is different.
If nexium does nothing for you,why dont you stop taking it and see what happens?
EXTRA STRENGTH gas x would neutralise the gas in your stomach,it wont stop your stomach from producing,but whatver it produces,it will neutralise it.
so would your saliva.
so would alka selzer,baking soda ,but they contain salt.
you can find out whether you have too much or too little acid by drinking some cranberry juice,if it makes you feel better and food seems to be digested and leave the stomach,then your nexium is shutting down too much acid to the extent you cant digest your food.
Acid also kills bacteria ,half digested food passed to your intestines and mixed with bacteria in lower part of your GI will produce more gas.
Some folks will also experience vaginal infection.
Google and find food you should avoid-nuts,tomato sauce,dairy product,spice,grease.chocolate,soda,caffeine.
by friendlyadvice, Jan 27, 2007
First-hand experience, here.

1. Gall bladder pain can be felt in many other parts of the body long before it is finally (if you're lucky) radiates from the upper-right quadrant ribs and back.

2. Gall bladde pain and problems CAN cause headaches especially when you wake up, pain whether you eat or not, nausea every morning, and cramping, numbness, sinus pain, ear pain, and those sweats and pains most of you are mentioning in your posts. My face was ashen colored all the time, too. These problems went on for over a year, but no one could implicate my gall bladder. I am convinced now, post removal of it one week ago that it was malfunctioning for a long time.

3. NEXUIM, PRILOSEC, and other drugs containing omeprazole or a similar name CAN and DO cause gall bladder dysfunction in some people. I was prescribed the med for mild acid reflux after an endoscopy for the above-mentioned problems, but at that point not one doctor, even the gastroenterologist who performed the endoscopy could not detect gallbladder problems then.

4. I am not sure if I can post studies here that I have found at other web sites, so I won't post the medical news I read about here, but you may wish to read an article called Proton Pump Inhibitor May Reduce Gall Bladder Function. Yael Waknine is credited with the news journal report, and it is quite good to read. The study looked at patients taking 40 mg for 30 days. My prolbems began sooner and with half the dose. I am a small person.

5. Please talk to your doctors who have prescribed Prilosec, Nexium, or other similar drugs with these properties before you continue to take them for long. They may exacerbate conditions. In my case, after being on only 20 mg of the generic form of Prilosec for two weeks, the acid reflux had only minimized a bit, but the classic gallbladder pains ensued. I was then given an ultrasound of the gb which showed no stones, but I was told to keep taking the ompeprazole. When I didn't take it, I felt al little better, but I was still ill. It was not until the HIDA scan that the doctors saw I had no gall stones, but I also had virtually no gallbladder function. It had stopped working completely. I am convinced the drug caused that to occur, but I also believe my gallbladder was essentially dying little by little over the time I had all these other pains. A GOOD doctor WILL tell you the gallbladder pain can radiate into the abdomen, the back, other parts of the body...

I am recovering from laproscopic gallbladder surgery, and I think I am doing ok now. I certainly have no more morning and middle of the night headaches, no more ear pain, and my color is back to normal.

Best of luck to all of you, especially you who may be experiencing symptoms neither you nor your doctors can remedy. It may NOT be all in your head.
by PikaPika88, Jan 28, 2007
I have fatty liver too.  What kind of doctor (.....ologist?) would look after liver or gall bladder?

friendlyadvice, I'm the image of you.  I'd all those symptoms too.  I'm on Nexium 40mg twice a day.  If still very burn then told to take 2 Nexium twice a day.  I think it is too much.  I need to sort it out.  I got no ....ologist appointment.  My gastro dr has referred me back to GP.  I want to save my gall bladder!
by zestyclean, Jan 31, 2007
I finally have a apt with a specialist in 2 weeks hopefully i will find something out!
by knightyme, Feb 01, 2007
I am 35 and have had GERD for over 5 years now.  I currently take Aciphex which is the only thing (without under-going surgery) that has kept my acid reflux under control.  I also have trouble with having runny bowel movements almost every time that i go to the bathroom.  I have had several test done but so far nothing has found anything that is causing all of my problems.  I am going to a new gastroenterologist tomorrow for a fresh look into my problems.  Please advise on situation if you have any knowledge.  Thanks!
by turtle227, Feb 08, 2007
I suffered from terrible heart burn for over 10 years. I had every test imaginable and one night during a severe attack I called the emergency number for my gastroenterologist. An older doctor answered and asked what I had for dinner. I told him lean pork (the other white meat) and he said, it's your galbladder. He sent me for a functioning test and when the tech. injected whatever it was to make your galbladder work he handed me a bucket to throw-up into. I was skeptical because I had never thrown up with all my symptoms. All of a sudden I got heartburn, the same feeling I'd felt for years. The same feeling that no one could diagnosis, that kept me on drugs for so long. I had it removed as soon as possible and they did a nissinfundaplication to repair some of the damage caused by the acid eroding my esophagus and was perfect for a while. I eventually ended up back on nexium because another drug I take causes acid, but have been fine. Every one in a while if I eat terribly I'd have symptoms. Now all of a sudden after all this time I am having problems every single day. I'm taking 2 nexium, Phazyme, Pepcid AC, Tums, Reglan and something new Symax. Nothing is working. I either have heartburn in my esophagus or terrible gas pains in my ribs and chest. I'm pretty miserable. I've been told that you can still have gallbladder type symptoms if you eat too much fat, so I've been really careful. Apparently chicken and rice are the only things that shouldn't cause gas pains and as a heavy person, that is a wonderful cook, with three jobs and a family, it isn't very practical, but boy am I sick of being sick.
by LASuziQ, Feb 09, 2007
I have had what I assume is GERD for over a year now.  My insurance at the time (Kaiser) said no endoscopy was necessary since my medication was working (Prilosec 20 mg twice daily).

Now it is not working and I have added 2 tablespoons of Mylanta three times daily as well as Alka Seltzer.  I work for an oncologist/hematologist.  I know the dangers of uncontrolled acid running up and down the esophagus.

I now have a different insurance, different primary so he is ordering Protonix.  I'm hoping these PPI's are not all the same, and I just feel drained.

I don't eat greasy foods intentionally (sometimes I am surprised by something I order in a restaurant etc.).  I don't eat spicy, avoid grease, 1 diet soda if any per day, only 1 cup of low acid coffee.  I try to eat white stuff mostly when having problems, i.e. chicken breast no skin, white rice.  Apples help a little as does drinking a lot of water.

Anyone have any similar problems, and have any solutions?  Thanks in advance.