Gastroenterology Community
Acidic taste in mouth!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Acidic taste in mouth!

I have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis. Symptoms are - acidic horrible taste in my mouth as what started this, occaisonal mucous in throat that makes me cough, iron belly with slight occaisonal burning. Started taking Pantaloc and than Zantac. Pantaloc caused me to run to the bathroom. Zantac seems better but doesn't really do much for the acid taste in the mouth and rarely helps the stomach. Endoscopy was doen to confirm the gastritis.
I guess what I really want to know is.....the acidic taste or coating in the mouth....is this a symptom of gastritis and how do I get rid of it? BTW, I rarely have the acid reflux and I mean rare.I always want to drink oodles of anything to get rid of it!
You might look into L.P.R.D. or larygopharyngeal reflux disease, because that affects the throat.  

Also, the mucous you describe in the throat- consider what role allergies may be playing.  I was told by an allergist about a connection with the mucous of allergies in the GI system (swallowed) and acid reflux.  You might want to visit an allergist to find out what your allergies are.

When I've had gastritis years back, they wanted me to go to a clear liquid diet for 72 hours or so... don't know if that was great advice they used to give out, but I would get awfully hungry while I was trying to get my stomach irritation down with the clear liquid diet.

Are you stressed?  Because stress can cause an increase of acid production.  So, if you are stressed, stress reduction measures are important to take.  Not smoking is also a big plus when it comes to acid reflux.  

Have you made recommended changes in your diet for the gastritis?  Did they check a gastrin level on you?  Did they take a close look at your throat on the way down to your stomach for signs of damage from acid?
Thank you for replying. Have been doing all that you suggested except for the allergy thing. It just really wonder if most people with gastritis have the awful acidic salty taste in the mouth continuously!
Looking for comments on this acidic salty taste in mouth please!
A bad and bitter taste in the mouth can be a symptom of L.P.R.D. and so can post-nasal drip (which perhaps might account for the salty taste?)... I have G.E.R.D. myself and have had gastritis a number of times.  I can get an acidic feeling in my mouth when it's bad enough.  It does sound like your reflux is not being controlled with the continual taste in your mouth.  With the mucous in your throat, I'd recommend you pursue getting an appointment with an allergist.