Gastroenterology Community
Adenomatous Polyp

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Adenomatous Polyp

I am a 25 y/o female who is in great shape, doesn't smoke drinks maybe 2x a week and eats primarily fruits, vegetables and heatlyh low fat proteins. I just had an Adenomatous Polyp removed during a flex sigmoidoscopy. They did not tell me anything more specific about the type of polyp. They asked me to come in for a colonoscopy 'in a few months'.

My questions- since this is very rare for someone so young, do I need to be concerned about anything? Could it be indicative of something else?  Since it is removed should I be totally fine for the next 3-5 years, or is it possible that itt could impact my life before then? Are my chances of getting cancer down the road higher since I have an adenomatous polyp at 25?
Copy/Paste this to your address bar... it should answer your questions...

http://www.medicinenet.com/colon_polyps/article.htm
Their is a condition known as FAP (Familial Adenomatosis Polyposis) there are two forms one is where you develop thousands of polyps within the colon, the other is the attenuated form where you slowly develop one to several through the years, which will turn cancerous.  This is an hereditary disease, although it can happen sporadically. If inherited one of your parents would be affected.  Many people don't know this is in the family until they develop colon cancer in their 30's or 40's.  People affected can have supernumerary teeth, bony cysts on head, wrists, hands, or none of these symptoms.  I'm not trying to scare you, but just help inform you of one possible cause.  Since you did develop a polyp at such a young age, you will need to be more vigilant with your health.  I would ask the doctors why they feel you had this, why do they want to see you in a few months, what do they suspect?  Always ask every question you can think of, and write them down if need be. The fact that they want to do another scope in 3 months tells me they are concerned that you may develop more.  But 3 months is not too long to wait, but they shouldn't keep you in the dark.  Ask them why they want to do another scope so soon, what do they expect to find.  Also, it has now been documented through many studies that an aspirin regimen is effective in preventing polyps and even reducing them in size.  Don't let your doctor discourage you from this.  Find a GI who knows the facts and will work with you on this.
OK, thank you for the input. I should mention that there is no history of this in my close and extended families...no one has ever even had an adenomatous polyp, let alone the multiple polyps/cancer that would indicate a heriditary condition. That is my big concern, because I have never heard of this happening to someone my age unless it is hereditary.

Thanks for all of the advice..I am working on a list of questions for my doctor as we speak.